PSR-800/900 Programability/Flexiblity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, I am currently waiting for the WS-1095 (PSR-900) to come out but I have a few questions regarding the flexibility of programming.

I know that the trunking/conventional info and whatnot is supplied by a download from the RR database, my question is how is that information arraged and whether the information, once downloaded, can be modified in any way. Sometimes the database can be incomplete or incorrect and Alpha Tags can be confusing at times.

With my Pro-106 I usually manually program it with Win500 using an excel spreadsheeet.

I know there will not be such a thing as Win800/900 (at least under GRE) maybe whistler will let DonS make one now, but if not I would like to know how the EZ Scan software is compared to say: Win500.

I see there are select-able scan lists but how usable are they? Do I need to use the zip code search every time I use it? I looked at the manual but those things are never written intuitively.

I've never seen or handled a powered up PSR-800 so I don't know anything.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
Once the weekly update to the library is downloaded to your computer and yo have your scan lists set up, you can browse the library and import the new info into your scanlists. If you have information not in the library that you want to enter you can add it to a conventional scanlists b tapping on the "new channel" button on the right side of the screen when you are in either the scanlists or conventional channels view. If you want to add a talk group to an existing trunk system, again there is a "new talk group" button on those pages.
You can edit alpha tags but the next time you download and update the scanlists you will overwrite to the original tag unless you only "update new info only". Again controlled with a check option during the upload process.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear, thank you.

Right now I have each scanlist set for one trunking system (sort of like trunking personalities on a motorola) by setting all the TG's for one system on one scanlist and TG's for another one on a different scanlist because it makes it more efficient when scanning and less confusing.

I assume I can do this on the PSR-800/900 too right?

I guess my main concern was that i'd be locked down to having to use the zip code function and no way of programming it manually.

How many scanlists can be made?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PSR 800

I find the zip code method the least useful. It pulls in too much information and many things I don't want. Doing it by zip is quick, but for the best selection of desired talk groups, I stick to county or even smaller units of government.

RDGDigital

GRE America - Support

You can download the EZ Scan software from the link above. This is the old GRE web site, but the download still works.

Once you install it then you can play around with it and see for yourself how it manages the database and what things you can do and can't do. I'm not sure it this will be the exact same software that Whistler will provide but I can't imagine it being much different. The only thing you won't be able to do is transfer data to the scanner (obviously) since you don't have it yet.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
GRE America - Support

You can download the EZ Scan software from the link above. This is the old GRE web site, but the download still works.

Once you install it then you can play around with it and see for yourself how it manages the database and what things you can do and can't do. I'm not sure it this will be the exact same software that Whistler will provide but I can't imagine it being much different. The only thing you won't be able to do is transfer data to the scanner (obviously) since you don't have it yet.

Oh ok cool, I had no Idea that page was still online.

EDIT: I am using it now it seems to be fairly flexible although it's not as convenient in some areas as Win500

Is there a select all option on here? I have to control click every object I want to delete if there's more than one.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Using the Shift+ the Mouse it will select multiple rows. Or for smaller rows use Cntrl+ the mouse

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear, thank you.

Right now I have each scanlist set for one trunking system (sort of like trunking personalities on a motorola) by setting all the TG's for one system on one scanlist and TG's for another one on a different scanlist because it makes it more efficient when scanning and less confusing.

I assume I can do this on the PSR-800/900 too right?

I guess my main concern was that i'd be locked down to having to use the zip code function and no way of programming it manually.

How many scanlists can be made?
I have most of my scanlists set up by county. However I do also have a couple of mixed scanlists with multiple truncked systems and conventional frequencies all together.
The software for the GRE radio will do 200 scanlists but the Radio Shack version for the Pro18 will only do 100 so it may depend on what Whistler decides to offer.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
It's worth noting that EZ Scan Digital does offer a couple of import options that can be used to pull data in from, for example, a spreadsheet. I do this quite frequently. You will probably find this more familiar and easier than creating one new object at a time using the "new object" buttons. There are limits, however.

If you're familiar with how to export a spreadsheet file to a CSV file (comma separated values), then you can use that to import information into EZ Scan Digital. You can also copy data from your spreadsheet to the clipboard (Control-C) and then import that data into EZ Scan Digital. Data must be properly formatted and you have to assign each "column" of data to a particular field in EZ Scan Digital as part of the import process.

One limitation is that you cannot import scanlist assignments using this method. This isn't so much of a problem for conventional data because each conventional object is assiged a sequential value based on the order that the data is imported. This allows you to arrange conventional objects sorted based on your anticipated scan list assignments before you import, and then it's pretty easy to assign groups of convetional objects to scan lists when they're in order after they have been imported.

Talkgroup information isn't as easy because they aren't assigned a sequential value based on import order. They are always sorted sequentially based on talkgroup value in EZ Scan Digital. So I find that I have to import talkgroups one scanlist at a time. They get put into the "default scanlist" upon import and I then search those out and assign those objects to their intended scan list.

If you're a stickler for the information you want to be a part of your configuration and you have an existing database of data with your own alpha-tags and such, then this is the method you may want to choose. It can be a time consuming process if you have lots of objects and scanlists.

jamesa53

The PSR800 /Pro-18 doesn't care what scan lists the talk groups are in, they are automatically associated with their respective system. So you can have talkgroups associated with multiple systems in the same scan list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W6KRU

When I import conventional frequencies from the clipboard into EZScan, they look fine on the conventional tab but the tone information is not visible on the scanlist tab after assigning the freqs. to a scanlist. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
The PSR800 /Pro-18 doesn't care what scan lists the talk groups are in, they are automatically associated with their respective system. So you can have talkgroups associated with multiple systems in the same scan list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know, I just prefer not to do that as it makes scanning slower when it tries to lock onto two control channels. Plus, I like to name the systems so that I remember which ones they are.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone

Yeah I know, I just prefer not to do that as it makes scanning slower when it tries to lock onto two control channels. Plus, I like to name the systems so that I remember which ones they are.

My PSR800 currently has 3 "Systems", 144 "Scanlists", around 800 `Conventional Frequencies' and all (20) Scansets loaded and running about 1/4-1/3 of `mixed P25 and Conventional Frequencies [Around 20 `Scanlists', 360 or so `TGs' currently and even when I am listening `between' (When I know I'm gong to need to be able to 2 diiferent `areas/agencies/whatever' different configurations I've never noticed any attempts to lock on more than 1 CC at a time and things slow down because of said `operation' Initially I had my own `speed/hiccups' doubts and actually initially tried out scanning a single `system' w/`a fairly simple' load of TGs and over about a week-week and a half period and observed, and ran the `occasional' stopwatch `*ATTEMPTING*' to come up with some sort of `number' to assign some sort of scannng speed. (I gave up on the stopwatch `routine' about 1/4-1/3 of the way through. What can I say? I'm lazy! Besides I experenced MEGO most of the time I tried. GRIN!)

Then I went `crazy' and loaded it up to the the loading mention previously. I was pleased to discover that *I* *really* cannot say that switching between my `initial' `V-Scanner File' and, for now the `newest' `V-Scanner File' or having another scanner, a `loaner' at that time, running one or the other `V-Scanner Files' I've been *really* *not* *able* to discern any slowing between the two. I'll readily admit that I am a bit `based' about `speed' `figures' and prefer to try and listen to `TG' `tracking/following'. So far, I was a fairly `early adopter' and since then added `later on/when the "piggybank" allowed it' 3 more.(Which, in a way, helps try `speed trials' easier.)

Right now I am currently waiting for the Whistler 1095 to hit the market. I'll probably sit back and read a bit about it and after things `settle' pick up one to `play with'. It'll probably, initially, be used as a `base'. If it works as well as I am hoping it will I'll wait a tad bit and *if* the supply has increased enough to provide for a lower price than the first I'll consider starting to pick up a few more. (Some will end up in `storage' as `spares' and some will used to either replace `long in tooth'`in-use' scanners and or augment the existing stack of scanners.)

While may appear that I'm fairly satisfied with what `is out their' and *not* `waiting on pins and needles' for some fantastic developement to `happen' it isn't so. It's just that I am figuring that it is going to take Whistler awhile to get `engaged' `in the market'. If Whistler decides that there is going to be enough market *and* market `desire' or `need' for making scanners w/`improvements' there will be new scanners from them. If that happens I'll most likely be one of the people `standing in line' to, at least, get myself a `trial' unit. *Especially* if it has `improvements' that I currently need or at least know that I'll probably be needing. Until then there is a 1095 in my future because it'll have a few things I would currently like to have and a few things I may need. Right now, for me, my PS800s are doing quite well and at the least I suspect that the PSR900/1095 will fit right in for my current, and near future needs. "ENC" wthstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.