PSR-800 Backlight Options & Belt Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
So I've now had my PSR-800 for about a week and I absolutely love it. I'm making myself familiar with all of the options and settings, but I am not satisfied with the backlight options. For this reason, before I post a firmware request to GRE, I'd like to make sure I understand the settings properly -- so I'm posting here first.

Is there any way to set up the backlight so that you can turn it on and off anytime via the power button? I notice that there is an option to do this but only with a timer that maxes out at 99 seconds. So if you push the button, the light stays on for up to about a minute and a half, then turns off. I'm looking for an option that allows me to push the power button and turn the backlight on until I either push it again or turn the radio off -- a simple toggle option, really. There isn't anything for this already in place, is there?

Also, I'm finding myself afraid to wear this radio on my belt because of the belt clip being so flimsy. I don't want to risk a $450 radio falling because of a cheap belt clip. I much prefer the one on the Uniden BCD396XT, with the swivel clip built right into the back of the radio. I'm probably going to mount my own heavy-duty swivel onto the radio w/ super-strength adhesive, however I also know that I will run the risk of pulling off the label with the serial number, etc. Are there any better options currently known for attaching a swivel clip to the radio? The stock belt clip is simply not acceptible.

Thanks for any and all input on these questions...

mikey60

Is there any way to set up the backlight so that you can turn it on and off anytime via the power button? I notice that there is an option to do this but only with a timer that maxes out at 99 seconds. So if you push the button, the light stays on for up to about a minute and a half, then turns off. I'm looking for an option that allows me to push the power button and turn the backlight on until I either push it again or turn the radio off -- a simple toggle option, really. There isn't anything for this already in place, is there?

No, there's no way to do this other than to go into the settings menu and change the backlight setting there to what you want at the moment. The power button momentary press just does what you describe.

Also, I'm finding myself afraid to wear this radio on my belt because of the belt clip being so flimsy. I don't want to risk a $450 radio falling because of a cheap belt clip. I much prefer the one on the Uniden BCD396XT, with the swivel clip built right into the back of the radio. I'm probably going to mount my own heavy-duty swivel onto the radio w/ super-strength adhesive, however I also know that I will run the risk of pulling off the label with the serial number, etc. Are there any better options currently known for attaching a swivel clip to the radio? The stock belt clip is simply not acceptible.

Thanks for any and all input on these questions...

I thought the stock belt clip was an improvement over the previous one. Beyond that, I don't have any suggestions to make it better.

Mike

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Personally I find belt clips a nuisance. My middle section is, er, shall we say "circumferentualy advantaged", and I can't see a radio clipped to my belt. So I always take the belt clip off and carry the 800 on the road in my shirt pocket, where it fits nicely and can be pulled out for adjustment with little bother.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Personally I find belt clips a nuisance. My middle section is, er, shall we say "circumferentualy advantaged", and I can't see a radio clipped to my belt. So I always take the belt clip off and carry the 800 on the road in my shirt pocket, where it fits nicely and can be pulled out for adjustment with little bother.

I'm the same way, but when I absolutely have to carry a scanner on my belt (which thankfully isn't too often), I clip it in the back. Not quite so much flesh hanging over back there LOL.

:D

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I think the beltclip is a little cheap myself. I have found the pin that holds it together coming out after a while. I just use a small screwdriver or a knife to put it back.

The main reasons I leave it on are to keep the radio at an angle while its lying down (also have a 90 degree BNC adapter installed to keep the antenna vertical) so I can see the display (I found doing this keeps it lower so I don't knock it off the night stand) and to clip it on an internal divider in my backpack so I don't lose it inside.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kel

I bought a couple of belt clips for the 500 and use it on my 800,works fine for me and looks better than the stock clip,just my opinion.

Bob_61

So I've now had my PSR-800 for about a week and I absolutely love it. I'm making myself familiar with all of the options and settings, but I am not satisfied with the backlight options. For this reason, before I post a firmware request to GRE, I'd like to make sure I understand the settings properly -- so I'm posting here first.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

:twisted: The only thing you can that I see on the radio or in the program is to set the backlight mode to normal which turns the backlight on when a transmission comes in. This works for both battery or power mode. I have mine set to "normal" for battery. And "on" for power which when pluged in the lights stays on all the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.