psr 800 battery issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1234

since i did the upgrade i have had an issue with the battery i bought new nicads and still it says batterys are low anyone with the same issue

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

shadow1234 said:
since i did the upgrade i have had an issue with the battery i bought new nicads and still it says batterys are low anyone with the same issue

NiMH would have been a better choice, as they last longer. You already bought these, so let's deal with that.

Did you change the battery type setting to NiCd?

troymail

Silent Key
The default battery settings in the most recently upgrade cause the battery level icon to drop and appear to be empty very quickly when they are not. There have been many discussions on RR concerning this.

You can change the level setting values that control the icon in in EZ Scan

racin06

The PSR-800 is a fantastic radio. I'm enjoying my 800 very much; however, I will say that the battery level indicator issue is ridiculous. Adding the ability for the user to tweak voltage settings in the software isn't a fix and is BS. GRE needs to fix this issue once and for all.

W6KRU

The PSR-800 is a fantastic radio. I'm enjoying my 800 very much; however, I will say that the battery level indicator issue is ridiculous. Adding the ability for the user to tweak voltage settings in the software isn't a fix and is BS. GRE needs to fix this issue once and for all.

You think that a software developer has made a mistake in these settings and now you want him to change these values hoping that his new settings are a better match to your opinion?

When I got my PSR-500, I thought making the battery level indicator user adjustable was a great idea. This allows me to setup the battery level indicator to match my batteries and my opinion of how it should work. Letting the software developers make decisions for you is a slippery slope.

jackj

Shadow1234, it is hard to find NiCd cells today. They are still availble but not at places like WalMart or Kmard. If you got your cells at a mass-merchandiser then they are most likely Ni-Mh. If you open EzScan and go to the advanced tab then you can change the points where the battery gauge drops. The voltage values I'm using are:

14 bars - 4.78
12 bars - 4.59
10 bars - 4.42
08 bars - 4.35
06 bars - 4.25
04 bars - 4.20
02 bars - 4.18
00 bars - 4.17
Alarm - 4.16

These voltage values may need to be tweaked to suit your scanner but they seem to work pretty well in mine. Be sure to set the values in the Ni-Mh column and be sure the switch in the battery compartment is set to Ni-Mh. NiCd cells have a similar discharge curve so the values should work for them also.

BoboPinky

You think that a software developer has made a mistake in these settings and now you want him to change these values hoping that his new settings are a better match to your opinion?

Yes...

The "default" settings are soooooooooooo far off, that until you mess around with them (as I have now done, with no real mention of this at all on the GRE website.), you'd think (as I did) that you'll only get about 3 - 4 hrs of run time when using new (charged up / down a doz. times) 2700mah nimh batts. It was not until I dug around, here on RR and other sites, that I discovered that (after the SW update) I would need to play with these settings on my own. Now I am getting 10+ hrs of run time on the same batts, so I am happy, but I will say, that unless you spend the time you will think, and rightly so, that this scanner runs through batts like cr@p through a goose. I think it IS somewhat the SW developers / manufactures responsibility to at least get you in the ball park.

Before the recent SW update (where you could address the battery indicator / alert tone / shut down) I was about to try and return this radio. I had only owned it for about a week - 10 days, and it was of little use to me if it only ran for 4 hrs.

shadow1234

psr 800 battery issue

You all have been very helpful
glad I can count on radio reference
people true listeners are the best people

jis100

Premium Subscriber
radio shuts off but batteries still show 1.2v

I am using a new set of Radio Shack Enercell NiMh batteries. They are only lasting a few hours and then the radio quits (shuts off). I have a VOM which shows the batteries still have 1.2 v in them. Is there a setting in the radio to correct this. I have tried playing with the battery alert settings but no matter what setting I use nothing helps. Thanks for whatever advice anyone can give me. The radio battery switch is set to NiMH.

Jeff (KB8PIH)

ps. sorry if this is off topic but I cannot find the "new thread button"

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You can't use cheap batteries. Buy the powerex 2700 and a powerex charger and you will be good. You will get at least 4 to 6 hours of battery life. Also, set the voltage settings in the EZ Scan software.

I used cheap batteries and a cheap 15 minute charger and my batteries only lasted about 30 to 60 minutes. Never use a 15 min charger. Damage your batteries and kill em.

Take the good advice from people that know, if not then you are on your own. GOOD LUCK

jis100

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the good advice. What brand is the powerex 2700? (Who maks them) and where can I buy them.

Thanks again

Jeff (KB8PIH)

ahearn

Premium Subscriber
I was having a short battery life problem with some Energizer 2500s but set Charge Time to 16 hours (in software Advanced Options tab) and charged internally. Now getting about 8+ hours. Also set the Battery Indicator/Alarm settings to begin at 4.80 and ending at 4.08 for the alarm.

Also trying lithiums which are expensive but good to have as backups when charging is unavailable or inconvenient.

Tracker

How exactly would I go about changing the voltage values?
I only see the low battery time under settings?

ahearn

Premium Subscriber
It's in the PC software application, not on the scanner, in the Advanced Features tab, listed as "Battery Indicator/Alert Values."

Tracker

Yes, on the EZScan software, but I don't see anything under the advance tab....? It only let's me check off the advance

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes, on the EZScan software, but I don't see anything under the advance tab....? It only let's me check off the advance

From EzScan software under the Updates menu, run the CPU and Software Update checks and make sure your 800 is at the latest CPU and EzScan software versions. EzScan should be 1.05 and I forget the latest CPU version.

Then you should have the voltage levels shown under the Advanced Features tab at the bottom of the ezscan window.
You should probably check for DSP updates also if you have not been doing anything other than updating the database from the Updates menu.

I just found my 800 and my CPU is at 2.1 and my DSP is at 1.4.

Last edited:

Tracker

Just did this....changed the values to what jackj adviced n synched the scanner,...lets see it this werks..
I'll report back..
San Q

bigsky109

There are only 2 settings on the scanner itself for batteries, NiMH and ALK.....don't use NiCD batteries. I am using Energizer NiMH I bought from SAMS and I get over 12 hours continuous run time from the set. I also charge them in the charger that came with the set. I also have the software settings at:
14 Bars : 4.80v
12 Bars : 4.70v
10 Bars : 4.60v
8 Bars : 4.50v
6 Bars : 4.40v
4 Bars : 4.30v
2 Bars : 4.20v
0 Bars : 4.10v
Alert: 4.08v

I found this setting on the forum in another thread and it seems to work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.