PSR-800 charge time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
OK - the default PSR-800 battery charge timer is 16 hours. I'm using 2500mah Eneloop batteries and charging it with the 800mah charger for my Droid phone. If it charged at 100% efficiency and if the radio did not regulate the charge rate, it would fully charge in just over three hours. To GRE - does the radio circuitry limit the charge rate, and if so what does it limit it too? I want to avoid overcharging.

A suggestion: For future radios allow it to charge and operate at the same time, and use a delta-v charging circuit instead of a timer.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The only charging function available on the 800 is with the timer when the radio is off. I would recommend an external charger and a second set of batteries.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
The only charging function available on the 800 is with the timer when the radio is off. I would recommend an external charger and a second set of batteries.

I understand that only the timer is provided but I need to know whether the radio limits the charge rate so I can set the timer correctly so as to avoid overcharging. Constant removal and reinsertion is not an option as it wears out the battery cover and battery compartment parts.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I've been using the removal and insertion method on all my handhelds for years and have yet to have an issue with the battery contacts other than cleaning leaky batteries in the past, something I still have to do with my old Pro-34, but YMMV. :)

From the manual, with no mention of charge limit beyond the default time mentioned:
EXT. POWER AND CHARGE VOLTAGE
USB Power (DC 5V 500mA)

Unless DonS has some additional information this is all we know: http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...sr-800-post-release-thread-3.html#post1478841

Status
Not open for further replies.