PSR-800 firmware/software update available 01-9-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

Found a little bug

After the update i unplugged the radio from the usb and the battery level indicator on the radio went to Empty zilch nada zero nothing and stayed that way until i shut the radio off and turned it back on.

KE5TLF

Wow, most any update is appreciated, but given the amount of time that's passed, and the huge list of suggestions/wants/bugs/whatever that's been piling up during that period, gotta say this is pretty weak.

Of course I guess little more is to be expected given their proven piss poor track record.

Last edited:

KE5TLF

Stil a full 20 minutes to write essentially the same information it only takes 2 minutes (or less) to write to the HP-1. Just flat out ridiculous, how long it takes to do any read/write operation to this thing. WTF are they using, morse code?

drdiesel1

Found a little bug

After the update i unplugged the radio from the usb and the battery level indicator on the radio went to Empty zilch nada zero nothing and stayed that way until i shut the radio off and turned it back on.

Yup, me too. It also looks like the voltages values in EZ Scan are at minimum backwards between NiMH and Alkaline?

SCPD

QRT
Stil a full 20 minutes to write essentially the same information it only takes 2 minutes (or less) to write to the HP-1. Just flat out ridiculous, how long it takes to do any read/write operation to this thing. WTF are they using, morse code?

Probably the Kermit protocol. Boy, does that date me. :D

drdiesel1

Yup, me too. It also looks like the voltages values in EZ Scan are at minimum backwards between NiMH and Alkaline?

Given the nominal voltage per cell for a NiMH is 1.2v I arbitrarily set the following thresholds:

Bars - Volts
14 - 4.85v
12 - 4.8v
10 - 4.7
08 - 4.6
06 - 4.5
04 - 4.4
02 - 4.3
00 - 4.2

Set to alarm at 4.1v

They seem to set ok.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

I think the USB port on the scanner is USB 1.1 (at least that's what it seems). If you put the microSD card into a memory card reader, it is a lot faster.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Found a little bug

Mine didn't do that. It showed the battery level where it was before I did the update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
My update went find but on checking the help files the "location" feature is only if you enable the USA band plan. As I live in Canada I assume I should be using the Canadian band plan. What would be the implications of switching and if I did would the scanner be able to locate by Canadian postal codes, which are different from the USA? For instance mine is V9A 7B2. Would the scanner understand that if I switch to the USA band plan?

rwier

Stil a full 20 minutes to write essentially the same information it only takes 2 minutes (or less) to write to the HP-1. ......................................................

A little window and progress screen named "Copy Library to Scanner" has been running 40+ minutes.

Shoot, I just remembered, I have another 800 in the truck, lol.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PSR-800 firmware/software

The fastest way to copy, as mentioned, is with an external USB card reader. However, 40 minutes is excessive unless you have a huge list of frequencies. I have systems for several counties in three states plus conventional frequencies for major airports (Detroit and Chicago) and upload times are well under 5 minutes to the scanner. With the reader, two minutes is the norm.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
A little window and progress screen named "Copy Library to Scanner" has been running 40+ minutes.

Shoot, I just remembered, I have another 800 in the truck, lol.

The fastest way to copy, as mentioned, is with an external USB card reader. However, 40 minutes is excessive unless you have a huge list of frequencies. I have systems for several counties in three states plus conventional frequencies for major airports (Detroit and Chicago) and upload times are well under 5 minutes to the scanner. With the reader, two minutes is the norm.

Might be a PC issue too. Have you tried another PC?

scannerfreak

Database Admin

He said library, which means he is trying to copy the entire RR DB via the USB cable, which takes about 30 seconds via a card reader.

rwier

He said library, which means he is trying to copy the entire RR DB via the USB cable, which takes about 30 seconds via a card reader.

Thanks guys, I totally forgot about that little chip. Well, maybe I'll remember on the second radio, lol.

KE5TLF

Well I do pretty much the same things, same setup, etc with the 800 and HP-1 side by side, same USB cable, same USB port, etc. etc. ANY read/write function for the 800 takes 10 times longer, OR EVEN MORE, than an equal amount of data transferred to the HP-1. In this day and age it is utterly ridiculous how slow USB transfers are for this thing.

Also it's only a matter of time before repeatedly removing the cover, removing the micro SD card and reversing the process is going to cause it's own set of likely SHOW STOPPING problems with those components.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.