PSR-800 firmware/software update available 01-9-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

Well I do pretty much the same things, same setup, etc with the 800 and HP-1 side by side, same USB cable, same USB port, etc. etc. ANY read/write function for the 800 takes 10 times longer, OR EVEN MORE, than an equal amount of data transferred to the HP-1. In this day and age it is utterly ridiculous how slow USB transfers are for this thing.

Also it's only a matter of time before repeatedly removing the cover, removing the micro SD card and reversing the process is going to cause it's own set of likely SHOW STOPPING problems with those components.

On second thought.......Also, that little chip has catapulted it's way to a spot in the carpet (no where near me) a couple of times. Not an easy item to find (in the carpet) at my age and condition, lol.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Well I do pretty much the same things, same setup, etc with the 800 and HP-1 side by side, same USB cable, same USB port, etc. etc. ANY read/write function for the 800 takes 10 times longer, OR EVEN MORE, than an equal amount of data transferred to the HP-1. In this day and age it is utterly ridiculous how slow USB transfers are for this thing.

I'm not too familiar with how the HP-1 works, but the 800 is pretty much completely SD card based. Everything goes onto the card, so not using a card reader is insane. They can be had for less than $10. Why would anyone want to use the USB cable?

Also it's only a matter of time before repeatedly removing the cover, removing the micro SD card and reversing the process is going to cause it's own set of likely SHOW STOPPING problems with those components.

Really? Like what? I update my files a minimum of 2 times a day, sometimes a lot more. So I've removed mine thousands of times since the radio was released and I have no issue on any of my 3 radios.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
On second thought.......Also, that little chip has catapulted it's way to a spot in the carpet (no where near me) a couple of times. Not an easy item to find (in the carpet) at my age and condition, lol.

Yeah, it will pop out pretty quickly if you just push it and let go. It's easy to contain if you press it in slowly.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm not too familiar with how the HP-1 works, but the 800 is pretty much completely SD card based. Everything goes onto the card, so not using a card reader is insane. They can be had for less than $10. Why would anyone want to use the USB cable?

Really? Like what? I update my files a minimum of 2 times a day, sometimes a lot more. So I've removed mine thousands of times since the radio was released and I have no issue on any of my 3 radios.

I don't think he'll be happy no matter what with his PSR-800. If the battery cover shows wear and doesn't stay on, I'm sure you can order a new one.

I've never had an issue with using a USB cable and the scanner. I think it works well although a little slow. I usually format the card and dump everything back to it including all custom data and the library. I bet he has antivirus or something running and scanning everything sent to the scanner. Or, he's just too impatient. If he has another scanner, why not listen to it while he waits?

I keep a spare microSD card in the middle of the batteries in case the installed one gets corrupt or I update it wrong from the library on the scanner.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Taking out the SD card and putting it in my Dell laptop's card reader makes the process at least 40 times faster. I was so disgruntled after having been updating all these months using the USB cable. Don't know why I never thought to just pull the SD card out and put it in the reader. I did it for the first time tonight after mike_s104 posted about it. Works like a champ. Thanks for that tip, Mike.

I still have tons of gripes about this scanner, and probably always will unless GRE starts addressing the things we care about most, but I'm definitely happier now that I can update the scanner so quickly.

I'll play around with the location stuff tomorrow.

mike

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Never mind, I see this was addressed already.

Last edited:

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Did the 1.05 upgrade.... went smoothly, followed the directions as outlined here, poof! Now the problem is, I have lost 50 scan lists to the library import function. There are freqs in some of them because of the way I am scanning with the radio, but i can't rename them to what they are.... ticket submitted to GRE, but wondering if anyone has found a way around this problem.... in one upgrade this radio has been relagated to fourth position in the scanner rack because the functionality is gone.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Thanx.... that is now done (altho I don't remember setting it to on in the beginning). But, now, this means if I want to use the Location functions I will not have those 50 scan lists at my disposal?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Thanx.... that is now done (altho I don't remember setting it to on in the beginning). But, now, this means if I want to use the Location functions I will not have those 50 scan lists at my disposal?

Yes, those are now reserved. You would have had to click on the "enable" button once you loaded the software after the update.

JERRYBIGJ

GRECOM PSR-800 EZ Scan Digital
Handheld Trunking Scanner
CPU Firmware Update Release Notes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version U1.5 - January 9, 2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verson U1.5 adds a new import option to the PSR-800 scanner.

When enabled the scanner can import all frequencies systems based on a combination of County, City, or Zip Code and the usage tag (i.e. "Multi-Dispatch", "Law-Dispatch", "Fire-Dispatch") seen on the RadioReference.com web site.

When the Location Select option is enabled, scan lists 151 through 200 are renamed to match the usage tags present in the library database. Items imported via the Set Location menu will be placed in these scan lists. If custom alpha tags for these scan lists exist, those names will be preserved should the location select option be later turned off.

This new option is accessed via the Set Location menu option provided the following conditions are met:

Location Database files must be installed on the scanner's Micro SD card. These files are available and updated via the PC Application and may be installed using the "Check for Library Updates" function or the "Copy Library to Scanner/SD Card" option.

The Frequency Library Database must be at version 84 or later. These files may also be updated using the PC Application.

The "LocationSelect" option in the scanner's Settings menu must be checked.

Beware: Using the "Clear Channels" option in the Set Location menu will erase ALL conventional and trunked data in the currently selected V-Scanner folder.

Updated the battery icon process voltage levels to more accurately show the current state of the batteries.

Minor changes to the low battery shutdown order to minimize the slight chance of SD Card corruption due to uncontrolled shutdown.

Public Safety search and sweeper ranges have been changed to correctly reflect current band usage.

In object browser, added audible indication to up/down keys that you've passed the top/bottom of the scan list's contents

In CCDump, added EDN vs. EDW indicator based on current site

Disable all location-setting items if the Bandplan is set to Canada in the main Settings menu.

Fixed blank "site" tag in playback (when no site tag stored, was alternating TSYS tag with a blank line)

Fixed handling of SKIP key in V-Scanner delete confirmation

Optimizations to library browse/select code

Changed 154-156MHz range to accommodate Marine channels while also preserving pre-1.2 frequencies

Re-arranged main menu items per suggestions

changed default 'on battery' light mode to KEY (though the power key would always do the same thing) per suggestions

changed default backlight brightness level to 4

Added 'delete' function (via SKIP key) to V-Scanner browser

Fixed bug in loading V-Scanner folders (wasn't properly closing CONV and TSYS files that might be open, resulting in 'object read errors')

In the Set Location menu, there is a "Backup Data" option. It will copy the current configuration to the first (lowest-numbered) available V-Scanner folder, indicating that number to the user when the copy is complete. The "description" text for the folder will be:
Backup from Set
Location menu:
Date: yyyy-mm-dd
Time: hh:mm:ss

In the V-Scanner function, pressing SKIP will now delete the displayed V-Scanner folder. The user is prompted to confirm that he really wants to delete the entire folder. The user cannot delete the "default" folder or the currently-loaded V-Scanner folder. If he attempts to do that, he’ll get one of these messages:

Can't delete
default folder.
Press SEL
- or - Can't delete
current folder.
Press SEL
Jerry

Jake68111

With the "LOCATION" function ON, the scanner automatically allocates those 50 scan lists for the location you enter. With the feature OFF, it automatically reverts those 50 scan lists BACK to the way they were before turning the feature on. Any freqs you had stored in those scanlists prior to enabling will return as well.

My complaint with that is this: When you turn the "LOCATION" feature OFF, you will have to go back and uncheck ALL the scanlists that were enabled when you were using the location feature. I'm thinking if you turn the feature off, the scanlists should also be unchecked automatically, especially if they weren't enabled prior to utilizing the location feature..... Just my opinion.....

As far as the update goes, I'm thirilled to be able to have the location feature at my disposal! I know that a lot of you would have liked to see other features / bugs added, changed or corrected but I, sometimes unpatiently, say to myself, "Good things will come to those that wait". I would rather have something solid and concrete then a bunch of updates that are just thrown out there with no testing or bug work done on the update first....... Happy with the update! Thanks GRE!

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

rwier

............................................ As far as the update goes, I'm thirilled to be able to have the location feature at my disposal! .....................................

Agree!!! Before, I was using a few VS's just as a form of periodic back-ups. Now I can see using VS's as location based, with the Scanlists being more Agency based. Sure, this was possible before, but there is a difference that is hard to describe.

Before the selection process might have been Country, State, County, TRS, Agency, TGID. Now it is "visible", your choices are on the table for inspection.

Using a "empty VS Folder, I entered my Zip for PD Dispatch. I got to see ALL the "Objects" that I have put in other VS's previously (coverage), plus an extreme number of "Objects" that had slipped my mind or were never known to me. I was stunned to see what I had been missing.

Give the objects a new Scanlist Number (up near the lower numbers, lol), Name the Scanlist, name the VS, and Shazam!!

I wonder if (in the future) both GPS info + power voltage might be delivered through the USB cable? Hmmnn,,,,

captncarp

Crash

Tried to download the updates by usb cable from pc to 800......something went wrong and my PSR-800 screen says:
Boot Ver:F1.0
App Ver: NONE

CPU SW Upgrade:
Error - Turn Off

Problem is I can't turn the scanner off. I tried removing and reinstalling the battrys but the same screen comes right back....

WHAT NOW

rwier

Agree!!! Before, I was using a few VS's just as a form of periodic back-ups. Now I can see using VS's as location based, with the Scanlists being more Agency based. Sure, this was possible before, but there is a difference that is hard to describe.

Before the selection process might have been Country, State, County, TRS, Agency, TGID. Now it is "visible", your choices are on the table for inspection.

Using a "empty VS Folder, I entered my Zip for PD Dispatch. I got to see ALL the "Objects" that I have put in other VS's previously (coverage), plus an extreme number of "Objects" that had slipped my mind or were never known to me. I was stunned to see what I had been missing.

Give the objects a new Scanlist Number (up near the lower numbers, lol), Name the Scanlist, name the VS, and Shazam!!

I wonder if (in the future) both GPS info + power voltage might be delivered through the USB cable? Hmmnn,,,,

Well, tried a little different experiment. Used zip to bring up the same PD Dispatch Objects in a working, non-empty VS (Holding my breathe, expecting some kind of wipeout dissaster). Another pleasant surprise! Hit the "Conventional" tab and whoa!! The Objects already in my working Scanlists show with BOTH Scanlist numbers, the "big" one from the Library (?) and my previous number!!! No need to try and remember "Have I seen that Object before?".

Just check the noob's and see if I want to keep any. Use standard simple Scanlist distribution methods for the noob's and finally turn off location use. A rather smooth operation, lol.

DonS

What do you think of the "location" feature? Is it giving you what you'd want and/or expect based on the location you enter?

rwier

What do you think of the "location" feature? Is it giving you what you'd want and/or expect based on the location you enter?

Hi Don ,

It's giving what I had loaded previously, and have been scanning for months, plus much more. The more is MOSTLY objects that I will not keep and/or scan, but the coverage is very complete. Of course, all these "new" objects were there in the Library/RRDB all the time, but seeing the objects sorted in scanlists makes seeing the "big picture" much easier (for me). Also, I had no prior knowledge of an upcoming upgrade,. so it's been an exciting few hours for me.

Jake68111

With the feature OFF, it automatically reverts those 50 scan lists BACK to the way they were before turning the feature on. Any freqs you had stored in those scanlists prior to enabling will return as well.

WAIT JUST A MINUTE......... I think I jumped the gun on this one.......

It doesn't look like this is so. With this in mind, now I have multiple freqs in multiple scanlists that I'm not using making a complete mess of how I had my scanlists set up before. I really wished that once you turned the location feature off, the freqs and the scanlists would reset themselves back to the way they were before enabling the feature.

My question now (because I have to go back and clean up this mess I made) is this:
How do you delete an entire scanlist of freqs? Do I have to do it to each individual freq to clear the scan list?

Status
Not open for further replies.