PSR 800 Frequency Modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

So taking what I have learned with the Uniden 436HP about how frequency modulation (FM vs NFM) can affect the performance of digital P25, has anyone considered this? The PSR 800 clearly has problems with simulcast distortion and cell tower interference. On such systems, would changing the modulation from FM to NFM have any positive effect?

Last edited:

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
It looks to me like all the trunked systems are already set for FM, not NFM.

ScannerSK

Currently, I am using NFM, SuperTrack and AGC with no improvement noted on the Colorado (Weld County) simulcast system using a PSR-500.

If the scanner is stationary (not mobile), a directional antenna would help to focus reception to a single tower and may assist with eliminating simulcast issues.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PSR 800 simulcast

I am not sure what you mean the 800 clearly has trouble with simulcast. The system in my county has a reputation for being difficult. I have been listening for over an hour due to the weather/driving conditions and have not had one missed call due to distortion on either the dispatch or mobile units.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure what you mean the 800 clearly has trouble with simulcast.

The previous message was about the 500 (and thus off-topic), not the 800.
Anyway, my installation of EZScan already has everything set as FM, not NFM.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

jaspence said:
I am not sure what you mean the 800 clearly has trouble with simulcast. The system in my county has a reputation for being difficult. I have been listening for over an hour due to the weather/driving conditions and have not had one missed call due to distortion on either the dispatch or mobile units.

Thats good. In your particular situation that radio works well for you. For many of us not so. Esp if you are located between several simulcast towers or are near a cell site. And there is a way to change the modulation for each individual system in EZ Scan.

N8IAA

Thats good. In your particular situation that radio works well for you. For many of us not so. Esp if you are located between several simulcast towers or are near a cell site. And there is a way to change the modulation for each individual system in EZ Scan.

Yes. Go to trunked systems, click on the system, click on the site. The window to the right should let you click on the Mode. FM is default, you can then click on the dropdown arrow and change to NFM.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.