PSR-800 holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrrob8

this is something i have been working on to use in my truck and my company truck, easy to move. also leaves room for the usb cable. very easy and not expensive to build. the most expensive part is the garmin gps pad. I had two from a past gps. as you can see it is not really pretty but does a great job of controlling the scanner on the road. can be used in front floor board or on the seat beside you. also works on a table or shelf in the house.

Attachments

• HOLDER02-1.JPG
    HOLDER02-1.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,170
  • HOLDER05-1.JPG
    HOLDER05-1.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,653
Last edited:

jrrob8

thanks for waking me up. simple materials, plain electrical box from Lowe's ( $.25 ) used the Garmin dash pad and one extension from Garmin. I smoothed out the ext. and drilled for pop rivets. Made sure the holder was up high enough so it could be adj. vertical as well as laid back.
cut out the front of the ele box to show the front of the 800. my cuts were made along the lines made into the box. 3/4 foam to protect the back of the scanner (I used a portion of a sponge, needs to be firm to hold the scanner). used door gasket material also from Lowe's ( 3/8 x 3/4 sticky on back holds nicely ) no need to glue sponge it it fits like mine does.
opening small enough to hold scanner, hasn't scratched my scanner so far since it is plastic. with the cushioning i used holds the scanner very firmly and the base easily holds upright for normal driving.
including several pics, hope this helps

Attachments

• HOLDER09-1.JPG
    HOLDER09-1.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 935
  • HOLDER10-1.JPG
    HOLDER10-1.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 846
  • HOLDER12-1.JPG
    HOLDER12-1.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 931
  • HOLDER14-1.JPG
    HOLDER14-1.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 940
  • HOLDER15-1.JPG
    HOLDER15-1.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 919

jrrob8

an added note, I believe you can make one for PSR-500, PRO-106 & PRO-97 scanner by using 1/2 foam in the back instead of 3/4. I haven't done one but tested this out before completing this one. as usual I would want a sponge because reg foam I don't believe would hold up after a while. you will have to glue what ever you use since it won't fit tight in the box.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
*THANKS!*

Hmmmmm... I wonder if, instead of `sacrificing?' one of those sometimes scarce `arm segments', one might instead use a `button'? (IE: I am wondering if adding a gimballing `feature?' might not be a good addition?) The reason I'm thinking this is that, at least in a couple of my vehicles that I'd consider using a mount like yours, when using a GPS like a RINO 530 or other bottom heavy GPS it seems to help quite a bit towards keeping the unit in place whenever one finds oneself having to take unexpected `evasive maneuvers'? I also wonder if it would also allow one to allow the unit to hang down slightly below the dash making it a tad bit less noticable and in one's field of vision?

About the `electrical box'... Do you remember what the Lowes' "Stock Number", "Part Number", or however they reference it was? It appears that it might be a new construction item by those nails but, I'd like to be a bit more certain about getting the same one if I happened to not be the one who actually ended up picking up a couple 2 - 3 for me to `play around with'. I've already got 2 - 3 of those `beanbags' already setup for use with the `buttons' and I also happen to actually have managed to end up with a couple `spare' `buttons' to boot. {GRIN!}

Again... *THANKS!* Whilst it doesn't seem to happen all that much these days serendipity along the lines of your `little project' is very very very nice to have happen! (I *will* admit that I'd kinda toyed with the idea of opening up my 700 and trying to figure out how I'd mount one of those `buttons' to it but, then the thought of actually drilling the case and mounting one scared the beejeesus out of me with worries about what could happen and despite all sorts of precautions I had it rip out and leave me with both a scanner with a gaping hole in it's backside and possible internal mayhem from a fall and bouncing around on something or someplace it shouldn't be. {YIKES!} [I had something along those lines happen to me using one of those `claw-type' radio/phone holders many years ago. Fortunately the unit was one of those `commercial' `built like a tank' ones and the only thing that *didn't* survive was the rubberducky antenna which broke when I attempted to straighten it. {PHEW!} Oh, BTW, it was my, then, boss who'd suggested using that particular holder so I pretty much also survived. {SNICKER!}])

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Guess Garmin reflected flash.
Anyway Soundgate M2 is very versatile for use with this scanner. Has three direction pivots.

Attachments

• RR.jpg
    RR.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,191

Halfpint

Lowe's bar code sticker on bottom has HW1-18 as a part number. let us know if PSR-700 fits as well.

Thanks!

It'll probably be a bit before I, or SWMBO, end up getting into town. It'll also probably be a tad bit longer before I make my attempt at making the adapter as we have our own version of `March Madness' with the CO CSAP tests and performances of the last high school play for the year happening. (Both children testing and one working `stage-tech' for the play.)

Halfpint

Well... I finally made it out to both of our local `big box' `Home Centres' and, unfortunately, wasn't able to find the exact box you used. But, I was able to find something similar that might work.

The ones I found have straight sides with the wiring openings more vertically oriented which makes for less intrusion into the inside. They also seem to actually be a tad bit thinner, width-wise, even though they claim to still be `single' boxes. Plus there are less `extra' protrusions into the inside which, hopefully, will make both the `trimming' and `padding' a lot easier.

Now that I finally have something to `play' with the next step is going to find just what adhesive / glue / whatever is going to provide the best `hold' / `grip' with the plastic these are made of. I am hoping to be able to add on a `tongue' that will raise the `attachment point' higher up along the back of the installed scanner so that I can use one of those GARMIN `buttons' to mount it onto one of those `slip-in' type mounts and allow it to be able to swivel whenever needed whether it is hanging off the dash or maybe even a belt.

Unfortunately, it is now High School graduation time and we have a graduate, with all that brings, to deal with. {WAN GRIN!} On top of that our other child is transitioning from Middle School to High School and our school system likes to make a big deal about that, too. And, of course, the 2 `hoo haas' overlap and expect parents to attend *both* `ceremonies'! (And they are being held in 2 different towns that are 15 miles apart. [That is one of the `prices' one `pays' when one lives out in the country and has to deal with a rural school district.]) {GRIMACE!}

I'll try and get some pictures of the work and the finished product that I can get posted after all the `shooting and shouting' is done. {VB GRIN!} Thanks for the inspiration!

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
PSR-800 Holder

Hello
Found this at a garage sale yesterday for 10 cents, it is made out of metal and has 3 different adjustments holds the radio with or without the scanner case just fine..Also found 50ft. of RG58 U coax new in package with a PL-259 on one end and BNC on the other for $1..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.