Psr 800 keypad replacement

How difficult is it to replace keypad for psr 800?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

khall8245

Purchased a used,one owner psr 800 and the keypad is worn so I found a new keypad replacement assembly. Has a ribbon cable with circuit board attached. The unit I sent in for the legacy upgrade. Question is how difficult would it be to open the unit and replace the keypad and connect the ribbon myself? Any surprises once I get the screws out and begin to open the cover? Any springs or clips gonna jump out and I want know where they were. Whistler wants to know where I got the keypad assembly as I originally asked them to replace the keypad and they stated they don’t have any keypad replacements. Now that I found a keypad I asked them if they would do the work but they want to know where I found the part. The seller did say professional installation recommended. Can anyone tell me if they have done this or have seen that opening it up is safe to do so without any special eqiptment other than the normal miniature Phillips screwdriver? Here is a photo of the new keypad assembly

Attachments

• 84F5A034-F2FA-4C82-AFAA-2B64ED632E1C.jpeg
    84F5A034-F2FA-4C82-AFAA-2B64ED632E1C.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 25

Swipesy

This is the VOE (voice of experience) advice. Unless you really know your way around electronics do not open your PSR800 case. I was having an issue with the old LCD trim creep. So I opened mine up (a breeze to open). But I quickly found putting it back together is a very delicate job. There are very thin pins on the base that have to fit in the cover. I did not realize that and bent the pins. Long story short I had to send the radio to a professional repair shop to fix. That is my $75 lesson to you.

khall8245

This is the VOE (voice of experience) advice. Unless you really know your way around electronics do not open your PSR800 case. I was having an issue with the old LCD trim creep. So I opened mine up (a breeze to open). But I quickly found putting it back together is a very delicate job. There are very thin pins on the base that have to fit in the cover. I did not realize that and bent the pins. Long story short I had to send the radio to a professional repair shop to fix. That is my $75 lesson to you.
Thank you for the warning. I’ll be sending it to the Whistler team. That would have been a surprise. Again thanx

These pins that are at the base, are they for the battery connection? AsI saw a video of someone cleaning the inside screen from dust and I looked for those pins as he had the Back cover facing up. There was a pin on each corner that appeared to be somewhat spiraled and fit in a hollow circular groove. My question is,is that the pins your referring too? Other than this video I could not find any schemetics on the inside of the gre psr 800. I am pretty somewhat electronic savvy to a extent but depending on the device and knowledge as to what is required to make sure they sit properly in a groove as that seems to be tedious yet I have a heat protective and electromagnetic long tweezer type of tool that would be able to reach into the unit as it seems that lining up the grooves is very important.

Swipesy

My issue took place in August of 2016. I ended up sending the radio to Gerry at G&G Communications to repair the damage I did. The two frail pins were near the center edge of the case. Below is part of my letter to G&G asking for repairs.

"I decided to make the repair to fix the tape that was creeping up onto the LCD screen. I should not have done that. When taking the radio apart the ribbon cable came out of the slot from the PC Board. After much trouble I was able to get the ribbon back into the proper slot. However, when I reassembled the radio the LCD worked but the key pad does not work. Also, when I reinserted the case screws I inadvertently cut the speaker wires.

Can you please repair these two issues. It looks like the two pins that fit into the front cover also have been bent since I must not have had them aligned properly."

khall8245

After opening the psr 800 as long as you know where these set a 2 pins are which are for the battery and runs through the circuit board and to the display. Their are two pins on the left and two on the right and you just align both as you gently press down evenly visually keep aligned with the holes on the back inside cover it’s the feel that your able to feel them begin to fit properly. I have a actual photo of both back and front. As I replaced keypad and while inside did take the time to clean the display and visually check everything for any loose wiring or debris. Worked great easy to reassemble. I saved 120.00 dollars. Main thing make sure pins fit inside the holes. It’s the feel of them is all and you will not have a issue.

Attachments

• 259E4A7A-ABE6-4D5B-8D47-369EC2698F1F.jpeg
    259E4A7A-ABE6-4D5B-8D47-369EC2698F1F.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 6F7FC917-EA8C-4019-8E2E-98E8459CFFEB.jpeg
    6F7FC917-EA8C-4019-8E2E-98E8459CFFEB.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 12
  • E3DC5B19-13C4-4877-A7AE-66A63CE724F6.jpeg
    E3DC5B19-13C4-4877-A7AE-66A63CE724F6.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 11
  • E2BF6D13-2866-4EFD-BC9F-3D942A1D8125.jpeg
    E2BF6D13-2866-4EFD-BC9F-3D942A1D8125.jpeg