PSR-800 Lost ENC tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm monitoring the DOJ IWN P25 sites here in Seattle for the President's visit. I just noticed that my PSR-800 is no longer giving me the ENC tone (busy) for encrypted conversations.

Also, when I get audio output on my 396XT -- I'm getting the same muted audio on the PSR-800 (I can hear the speaker come active.)

This was working fine a few days ago...

Any ideas? I haven't changed anything recently. Both my software and the PSR-800 are set to "ENC TONE"

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
The only other thing I can think of is that the 800 doesn't always give a tone. Like on a mixed mode D/A system it will stay silent, but a 9600 full digital it will give the busy tone.

dizwiz

The only other thing I can think of is that the 800 doesn't always give a tone. Like on a mixed mode D/A system it will stay silent, but a 9600 full digital it will give the busy tone.

Yes, this is very true.

I do not like how GRE has their software set to ignore any encrypted comm coming off of a mixed mode analog CC / digital voice system (like OHIO MARCS). So you never 'know' if an encrypted comm is even occurring. This is an issue with my older PSR-500.

I was told by GRE, that the digital 9600bps CC status bit is harder to decode and they cant decode it (or else they would have it too completely ignore any encrypted comm vs. giving you a busy signal).

I would recommend contacting GRE and telling them that you dont want the unit to skip over (w/o acknowledgement) encrypted comms on mixed analog CC / digital voice system. They currently think that nobody wants to be bothered with hearing 'R2D2'. I told them I completely understand that it cant/ is illegal to decode it, but I at least like to know that someone is talking (though I wont know what they say).

Really, they need to make an option for it, but make a 'default skip over' encrypted comm on mixed analog CC / digital voice.

Its possible one day a firmware update could be created to allow it to do this.

This is a big difference from the Uniden BC-296D that I had which would tell you what talkgroup ID was talking (using encryption), what frequency, and even the radio user ID who was using the encryption.

About the best you can do is program in all voice channels and scan them. If you hear R2D2, you know that someone is using encryption on that system.

However, from there on out, you wont know which talkgroup ID, user ID, or the length of the conversation (as it could jump to a different voice channel).

Status
Not open for further replies.