PSR-800 no LCD backlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austijc

I just got my new PSR-800 and the LCD backlight will not come on. The keypad light works, and I found the LiteArea menu entry and tried LCD and both. I also put it on USB power to make sure it wasn't the batteries. Is this a software issue or should I just start packing this up to go back?

magellat

Premium Subscriber
Backlight

See Help Section,Backlight Settings:Mode (Pwr.) and Mode (Batt),page 2 in the printed version..
Magellat

austijc

See Help Section,Backlight Settings:Mode (Pwr.) and Mode (Batt),page 2 in the printed version..
Magellat

Help section of what? Printed version of what? Something on this site or in the documentation with the scanner? I haven't unpacked all the stuff in case I need to send it back. It seems to be a pretty basic function that isn't working.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Check these functions, but it may need a total reset from the software.

LModeBAT
Sets the backlight mode to On, Stealth, Normal, Key, or Ignore
when operating under battery power.
LModeEXT
Sets the backlight mode to On, Stealth, Normal, Key, or Ignore
when operating under external power.
LiteArea
Controls whether the LCD, keypad or both should be illuminated
when the backlight is active.
LiteTime
Controls the amount of time the backlight stays on.
LiteLevel
Controls the brightness of the backlight and the Alert LED

You could also try updating the CPU Firmware from the EZ Scan Digital program - Updates pull down menu.

austijc

Thanks for the responses, but I think it's a dud. I did get the backlight to come on but it's erratic and sometimes flickers on and off. Then I found the contrast changes randomly too. This isn't the best confidence builder for my first GRE scanner.

kb8rvp

I am sure you could have a bad unit and it can happen but this is the first I have heard of a backlight issue. My backlight works fine but some things to check. I noticed with mine the backlight settings kept changing. I would set the backlight to normal and light setting of 5 for brightness but it kept going to low and it was so low that unlesss I was in a dark room I could not even tell the light was on. I was doing a lot of programming at the time and then I noticed in the software it was set to low even when I was changing it on the scanner its self to medium so it kept reverting back to the setting in the software during programming. I do notice that when the LCD light setting it set to the low setting it does flicker a little but only on low. So make sure it is set to a higher setting than low on both the scanner and in the software and that it is set to normal not stealth... GRE has great support and you can open a trouble ticket with them online at the GRE website as well. GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

Mike

Last edited:

austijc

Flicker might be the wrong word

Flicker might not be exactly the best way to say it. It's more like flashes from full brightness to totally off. That is if I can get it to come on at all.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
What modes have you tried? Even when set to "on" you're saying it's not coming on? Tell us what you have set for the LModeBAT and LModeEXT.

Also, make sure you don't have the objects backlight set to flash.

austijc

Yea, I set LModeBAT and LModeEXT to "on" with no improvement.

It's already boxed up and ready to ship back tomorrow morning. I guess I'll have to wait a another couple weeks for the new toy.

austijc

Followup

Just to followup, I got the replacement scanner and the backlight works perfectly now.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Good to hear it wasn't a software or menu setting, but too bad you had to get a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.