psr 800 no trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

krw

Feed Provider
Hi guys, I just bought a psr 800 for what I considered a cheap $125. And now I'm starting to see why I got it at such a low price.

I can not get this thing to follow a trunked system. On conventional it works fine.

I've tried programming via the scanner library following a youtube video. I've tried loading it with ezscan using every possible configuration I can think of.

I'm not new to scanners and have a psr 600 amongst others.

Is there something that can go wrong with it that won't allow it to receive trucked systems?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
It's possible it got "bricked" by someone previously loading firmware/software(?) from the other similar models. I don't really know if that would only affect one aspect of the radio or not but I'll assume the unit wouldn't work at all. Seeing as you're familiar with how they operate etc., that would be my best guess.

DJ11DLN

Do you have the correct version of E-Z Scan on your computer? There's several by now and they are all a little different; I suppose using the wrong one could introduce an error or glitch that might cause it not to trunk. That's the only thing I can possibly think of.

The firmware hack discussed in the RS section also works for the PSR-800; if all else fails you might try that and see if it works. The FW tool will let you roll back to the "correct" firmware if it doesn't work or you just want it back to "stock" condition. These radios are about impossible to brick.

krw

Feed Provider
Re:

I'm using "Grecom PSR-800 EZ Scan Digital Handheld Scanner Computer Programming System"
Version: 1.09

I did update the firmware, but still don't understand how it can work on conventional and not trunking.

Thanks for your help though.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I'm using "Grecom PSR-800 EZ Scan Digital Handheld Scanner Computer Programming System"
Version: 1.09

I did update the firmware, but still don't understand how it can work on conventional and not trunking.

Thanks for your help though.

Replace the antenna with a Remtronix 800mhz or similar,

What firmware is on the scanner? DOes it say grecom or WHistler when it boots up?

I would put the whistler ws1080 firmware on it using the grefwtool ver 0.2.0.3 see the the radio shack thread for more info or google it.

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Version 1.09

There is no problem with the antenna, its hooked up to my st-2 70 ft up.

Thanks

Is That the ezscan version?

What cpu and dsp firmware version does ezscan say is on the scanner when you try and update it?

krw

Feed Provider
Fixed!

After reloading the firmware (twice), I got it to trunk and with a little more tweaking, it's working like
it should.

Thanks for all the help and hope this helps someone else who may have the same problem.

technowerks

Premium Subscriber
I would love to know what the "Tweaks" were. I have a PSR-800, and I can not get the trunking to work. I've reloaded everything and it is as up to date as you can get with GRECOM out of business. Not really sure what to try next.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.