PSR-800 on vehicle power

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbonomo

Premium Subscriber
I have my PSR-800 mounted in a vehicle for mobile operation. One frustration I have is that there doesn't seem to be a good way to get the radio to power up when the vehicle comes on. Has anyone come up with a decent solution for this?

Does anyone know if the scanner will properly regulate 13.8VDC on the USB connector?

Thanks!

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I have my PSR-800 mounted in a vehicle for mobile operation. One frustration I have is that there doesn't seem to be a good way to get the radio to power up when the vehicle comes on. Has anyone come up with a decent solution for this?

This is a huge PITA - I hope they come out with a real mobile version that does TDMA soon.

If you cant power it on and off manually, you can try this... remove the batteries, use the menu (haven't found it in the software yet) to set a wake up time. You set the wake up action as Scan. You set the start time to 00:05 (you can only set it in 5 min increments). However, the clock retains it's time even with no power/batteries for a few minutes. So assuming the power has been off for a while, when you apply power to the USB connection, it should start running in about 5 minutes. As you can see, this is okay if your not making a real short drive somewhere.

Does anyone know a better way?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

Does anyone know if the scanner will properly regulate 13.8VDC on the USB connector?

Thanks!

Why would the scanner regulate 13.8VDC when the input power is 5VDC?

Personally, I just use the power button or run only on rechargable batteries.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I just use the power button or run only on rechargable batteries.

I was guessing that the OP would like to mount in a glove box or under a seat thus the power button is out of reach and he would like it to come on and off with the ignition.

DonS

If you cant power it on and off manually, you can try this... remove the batteries, use the menu (haven't found it in the software yet) to set a wake up time. You set the wake up action as Scan. You set the start time to 00:05 (you can only set it in 5 min increments). However, the clock retains it's time even with no power/batteries for a few minutes. So assuming the power has been off for a while, when you apply power to the USB connection, it should start running in about 5 minutes.

I don't think that will work. The device that maintains the clock (which data is lost if power is removed for too long) is also the device that handles the "auto power-on" function. If the clock data is lost, the "auto power-on" data is likely also lost.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that will work. The device that maintains the clock (which data is lost if power is removed for too long) is also the device that handles the "auto power-on" function. If the clock data is lost, the "auto power-on" data is likely also lost.

I see what you are saying, hmmm.

I admit I haven't actually tried this in my own car, but a friend running a live feed set his up that way so that if there is ever a power outage the unit will restart on its own. He was under the assumption that if the power was off long enough that it looses it clock time, when you apply power the clock should start at 00:00 and you have the auto-power-on set to come on at 00:05... so within 5 min it should come on.

I think the "auto-power-on" info is a setting stored on the sd card, just like the frequencies/talkgroups, etc. Has anyone confirmed this?

Either way, all the more reason GRE needs to come out with a mobile version that does TDMA and is capable of a remote mounting with a remote head, etc.

DonS

Yes, the "auto power-on" data is stored on the SD card. However...

If power is disconnected long enough (several minutes) that the clock data is lost and you then connect external power, the real-time clock becomes indeterminate. It's not automatically reset to 00:00:00.

When this happens:
* you'll see the scanner displaying what is almost certainly an invalid date/time
* the "auto power-on" function is temporarily disabled
* you must turn the scanner on manually
* a default date/time (2010-06-03 Sat 11:00:00) is assigned
* you're prompted to set the correct date/time

kayleesdad

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Found that if the power is cut from the source by turning off the car or pulling the cigarette cord, recording is lost even if the batteries are in. Have to pull the power cord from the connection on the scanner or turn off the scanner via the power button. Does that sound accurate?

SCPD

QRT
as for the power option, you can purchase a 12v aux to usb adapter at walmart/radio shack, most have dual outlets to run multiple devices

GrumpyGuard

If you don't want to tie up the power port or cigaret lighter you can cut the male end of the lighter cord and use an adapt a fuse to plug directly into the fuse block. When you turn your vehicle on and off the radio will respond accordingly. After checking the owners manual GRE puts in a disclaimer that you should use the on off button on the radio so you don't corrupt the memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.