PSR 800 P-25 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I get some incredibly good P-25 performance on an 800 Mot Type II system that is 20 miles out that most people complain about the digital audio cutting out. I say incredibly good because while there are dropouts and some pixelizing of the sound, my 396xt would sound unintelligible with this audio. However I find that on other systems where my xt is reliable, my PSR 800 is not, and that is in particular UHF T-Band systems with consistent low but stable P-25 signals, and other systems that may be a little too far, but since I can pick up the CC I wonder if I can get at least some of the audio. So what are the DSP settings, and should I play with them? What do they do? Has anyone changed them and gotten good results?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Psr 800

Have you tried the antenna from your 396XT on the PSR 800?

The PSR 800 comes with a neat little attenuator or I mean antenna. When I picked up mine in the city it worked pretty good on all bands. Once I got it home out in the Boonies it didn't pick up much of anything. I put the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna on and it came back to life. The 800MHz antenna actually works pretty well on UHF and VHF much better than the stock antenna.

I'd try the antenna before tweaking any settings.

Les

I get some incredibly good P-25 performance on an 800 Mot Type II system that is 20 miles out that most people complain about the digital audio cutting out. I say incredibly good because while there are dropouts and some pixelizing of the sound, my 396xt would sound unintelligible with this audio. However I find that on other systems where my xt is reliable, my PSR 800 is not, and that is in particular UHF T-Band systems with consistent low but stable P-25 signals, and other systems that may be a little too far, but since I can pick up the CC I wonder if I can get at least some of the audio. So what are the DSP settings, and should I play with them? What do they do? Has anyone changed them and gotten good results?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yes! I forgot to mention that I use the RS 800 antenna on both radios. Thats the only hope I have of getting anything in the 800 band. Like I said eventually I may look into an 800 attic antenna. Really my whole issue is if I can receive audio from a system that my xt can't pick up anything from except unintelligable garble, then I shouldn't have a problem with the system my xt can pick up reasonably well. FWIW I did change the DSP settings and they didn't really affect anything. The default setting is 64. So I punched in 1 and found no noticable change. I then punched in 200 and still no noticable change, but I think if the VC is receiving a P-25 signal, it will decode that audio faster so you have less garble. I may have found that listening to Philadelphia Fire.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone played with the Data Decode threshold settings at all? Does a wider threshold lead to a better result?

Status
Not open for further replies.