PSR-800 Performance and Programming - LA/Orange County Areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Hello!

For those that have the PSR-800, just wondering how it performs for you around the LA and Orange County areas? Does it do well with LAPD, LAFD, LASO, OCFA and such? Also wondering about the Riverside and San Bernardino areas. Any tips on good ways that you have the Scanlists setup?

Thanks!

bcorbin

Premium Subscriber
The PSR-800 works very well for me all along the 405 corridor, from W. LA to the northern reaches... I've got LAPD, LAFD, LAC, LASO, OCFA, ICIS, CHP, CHP/700 and a bunch of other stuff programmed in, and it all works fine (mind you, I generally do my own programming and don't rely much/at all on the database). Have not been out to SB/Riv - but don't see any reason why it shouldn't work as well out there.

Until I got comfortable with the radio, I left ScanSets at the default setting (ALL) and relied on Scanlists.

In the first 10 Scanlists, I put interagency, common and access frequencies.
In the next 10 Scanlists, I put the subsets of various agencies relevant to my home location, commute, work, so I could get to them and switch them in or out quickly.

Next, in blocks of 20 Scanlists, I broke things out by region - LA County gets a block, LA City gets a block, State agencies, neighboring agencies, Forestry, Aircraft, Amateur radio, and so on... I don't need to access these very often (since I broke out the local lists on top), but they're nice to have available.

I have been experimenting more with Scansets of late. It's a feature I'd really like to like - but it's not real intuitive. The trick for me seems to be to enable all the Scanlists, then create Scanlist groups that I can switch in and out with Scansets - so I can make up a Brush Scanset, a 700 MHz Scanset, a Trunking Study Scanset by picking and choosing the relevant Scanlists from each region... If I leave all the Scanlists enabled, I don't have to worry about inadvertently interfering with the Scanset lists.

It's harder to maintain the radio in this mode - If I move a Scanlist to a new slot, I HAVE to remember to change all the Scansets by hand - if I miss one, I won't know it till it goes missing out in the field 8*(

I've tried using VS's - I'm not a big fan - I sort of prefer to have everything up front and ready in the configuration I'm using... But the down-side is once you have more than a few objects programmed in to a configuration, deleting anything (by software) takes a ridiculously inordinate amount of time.

Hello!

For those that have the PSR-800, just wondering how it performs for you around the LA and Orange County areas? Does it do well with LAPD, LAFD, LASO, OCFA and such? Also wondering about the Riverside and San Bernardino areas. Any tips on good ways that you have the Scanlists setup?

Thanks!

gvodvarka

Hello!

Thanks!

I use mine in Ontario and Rancho with great luck. I have some Orange, LA and Riverside programmed and everything comes in perfect. I love the record feature. Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.