PSR-800 Priority Vs. Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I looked around for an answer to this question but never found one. Has anyone else noticed the delay does not work when priority is turned on?

I even tried setting the delay for 5 and 10 seconds, still no delay as long as priority is set to on.

n5ims

The delay works, but the priority setting has a higher priority so even if the delay is set for 60 seconds, when the priority time indicates to check the priority channel it does so, even if the delay timer has yet to expire. Remember, when you set priority scan on with a setting of 2 seconds, you're telling the scanner that you want the scanner to check the priority scan channel every 2 seconds, regardless of whatever it's currently doing. If the scanner is busy scanning channels that have no traffic, it will check the priority channel every 2 seconds. If the scanner is on a delay of 10 seconds, it will check the priority scan channel every 2 seconds. If the scanner is on the swat channel where the commander just gave the command to enter the building, rescue the hostages, and capture or kill the suspect, it will check the priority channel every 2 seconds.

With priority scan turned on, you will miss some traffic on non-priority channels. Use the priority scan only when that channel is extremely important to you and accept that you will miss other traffic. It's for times when that channel is critical and the others are simply fun to listen to, but if you miss something it's OK. One example may be a VFD person that must catch every call on their dispatch channel so they know they're being called out (although they may miss up to the first 2 seconds of a transmission), but they like listening to other local channels, just for fun.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I understand your explanation and I do understand how priority works. The 800 is my first ever GRE product, I'm used to Uniden. The 800 probably is working the way it's supposed to and I am by no means bashing the radio. I actually think the radio is awesome.

If I set any one of my Unidens next to the 800 programed with the same frequencies and the same priority channel, there is a vast difference in how the delay is handled. I can hear the transmission on both, and the cut out where each is checking the priority channel during transmission. At the end of the transmission, the 800 will start scanning immediately and the Uniden will hang on that channel for the allotted delay time (in this case delay was set for 5 seconds on both units).

This really doesn't matter too much, since I rarely use the radio anything other than scanning surrounding counties, searching for new frequencies, or recording certain channels (all without priority on).

My description might be better explained if I put together a video of both units to show exactly what is happening.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
You do know that on the 800 you have to set the delay on each channel & make sure the delay box is checked on the software right? You can make the delay different on each channel. I have an 800 & my delay works just as I have it programmed on each channel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Yup, delay boxes are checked and time set for 5 seconds.

I'll get a video of the 800 and my 396xt to show what happens. I noticed I can't attach a video file so I'll set something up on my website and provide the link here.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Alrighty. Just making sure. I don't have delay on all my channels, just some & I have priority turned on. Mine works fine like that, the delay holds on the channel for the specified time while checking priority channel.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.