PSR-800 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have a question concerning the PSR-800. Since I don't own one of these radios, I was wanting to know if this radio has full access to the radio systems in the U.S. Now, I am obviously not talking about radio systems outside the realm of listening possibilities, i.e., Open Sky, etc.

For instance, does this radio have the same scanning capabilities as a PSR-500? I am considering buying one of these.

robschonk

Check the frequency ranges. It covers just about everything except cellphone freqs. It won't descramble encoded broadcasts.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
TG's Same?

Check the frequency ranges. It covers just about everything except cellphone freqs. It won't descramble encoded broadcasts.

So, when compared with the PSR 500, this will receive pretty close to the same ranges. Thanks.

N8IAA

For instance, does this radio have the same scanning capabilities as a PSR-500? I am considering buying one of these.

I have a Pro-106 and 197. It goes beyond the scanning capabilities of the 500, first with the 200 scanlists, the fact you can record individual frequencies/TGID's, the same frequencies that the 500 can scan, supposedly X2 TDMA digital format, and slightly smaller form. One of the only things I don't like is it is not as easy to switch from multiple scanlists to single scanlists while mobile, as the 106/500 are. I wish they had made it with a keypad, not the MP3 player controls.
I like to match RID's (radio id's) with dispatch and the mobile unit. This is the only radio that shows the dispatch, then the mobile unit's RID's in the same transmission.
HTH,
Larry

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a Pro-106 and 197. It goes beyond the scanning capabilities of the 500, first with the 200 scanlists, the fact you can record individual frequencies/TGID's, the same frequencies that the 500 can scan, supposedly X2 TDMA digital format, and slightly smaller form. One of the only things I don't like is it is not as easy to switch from multiple scanlists to single scanlists while mobile, as the 106/500 are. I wish they had made it with a keypad, not the MP3 player controls.
I like to match RID's (radio id's) with dispatch and the mobile unit. This is the only radio that shows the dispatch, then the mobile unit's RID's in the same transmission.
HTH,
Larry

Good point.

n9zas

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
PSR Comparison

HTH,
Larry

Since I never considered buying the radio shack version or the PSR 600 since I prefer HH, I was unaware of the added features. I happen to be a big fan of GRE. Hence, I will likely buy the PSR 800. Since digital scanners are a bit pricey, I like to do my homework.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Limited Space

Not quite true as the 500 is limited to 1852 objects...the 800 is nearly unlimited.

Yes, you are spot-on. I was mainly referring to the access of both radios to the DB. If I had the same memory in my PSR 500, I would be dangerous. Ha. Can't wait to buy a 800.

JoeyC

I have both a 500 and an 800 now. Gotta say I like the 500 WAAAAYY better. Why? Even though limited in capacity and has 10x fewer scanlists, the 500 has way more flexibility when it comes to channel arrangement in the scanner whereas in the 800 it is as it is - in numerical order only. When I inquired about a software revision to allow re-ordering of objects, their response was:

"With the way talkgroup object are stored, it is difficult to change the order of the objects in the scanner. This item is on the wish list however to be studied."

so you are stuck with talkgroups lined up in numeric order and if the channel names and usage are all over the place, you're stuck with browsing through the lists in a haphazard manner finding stuff you want manually.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I have both a 500 and an 800 now. Gotta say I like the 500 WAAAAYY better. Why? Even though limited in capacity and has 10x fewer scanlists, the 500 has way more flexibility when it comes to channel arrangement in the scanner whereas in the 800 it is as it is - in numerical order only. When I inquired about a software revision to allow re-ordering of objects, their response was:

"With the way talkgroup object are stored, it is difficult to change the order of the objects in the scanner. This item is on the wish list however to be studied."

so you are stuck with talkgroups lined up in numeric order and if the channel names and usage are all over the place, you're stuck with browsing through the lists in a haphazard manner finding stuff you want manually.

Very interesting. I would like to understand what your issue is more, since I live in a larger metro area than San Diego and don't have any problem finding a specific talk group or conventional channel when I need it. Can you lay out an example of a situation you might run into that presents challenges when it comes to finding something? Are you talking about being able to under an "object number" to go right to something? If so I guess I understand. But when I go to find something it's just a few seconds of scrolling through scanlists to the correct one, then up or down the items to find the correct item so I have never thought of it as being that bad, even if a little more cumbersome than the 500/106/600/197 which I also have several years of experience using.

JoeyC

I didn't say that I was having trouble finding things in my scanlists, what I mean is you have no choice but to accept talkgroups in numeric order. When trying to find something in a list, having some logical order makes finding things quicker when the list is long.

For instance, the talkgroups for the San Diego Fire Department are labeled 7A-7P; 8A-8P and 9A-9P. When you download the talkgroups you get a layout in the scanner such as this: 7C, 9D, 9E, 9G, 7M, 7K, 8J, 7L, 9B , 9A, 9C, 9H, 8N, 7I. Trying to remember where 8H is in a list of 45 jumbled up talkgroups is annoying, especially when you are listening to something interesting and they change channels to follow up on the conversation and you miss it while scrolling through a bunch of channels that aren't in any kind of order. I like things orderly.
I also find it annoying that you can't listen as you browse, or that you can't advance through the list as you are listening. I don't find the SKIP key as rather useful either, especially because unskipping something requires a lot of effort.

And when you are paused, I don't need 2 keys that do the same thing (on a scanner with so few controls in the first place) - pushing the SEL key or the RIGHT arrow key both resume the scan. The right and left arrow keys should be manual advance when the scanner is paused.

I find the PSR500 because of this, is a much smarter and simpler scanner to operate.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin

I agree 100%. I prefer total control over the order TGs, etc. in my scan lists. Between Wn500 and PSREdit I am able to do this in PSR500. This capability is sorely lacking in the PSR800.

Russell

N8IAA

Since I never considered buying the radio shack version or the PSR 600 since I prefer HH, I was unaware of the added features. I happen to be a big fan of GRE. Hence, I will likely buy the PSR 800. Since digital scanners are a bit pricey, I like to do my homework.

The 106/500 are HH radios. It's the 197/600 that are base/mobile. The main reason my 800 doesn't go mobile, is that I to change scanlists on the fly. It is easier to push one button than to take your eyes off the road to do the same on the 800. Keypad and Func key would make a world of difference for me:)
Larry

JoeyC

Unfortunately I purchased this 800 to go mobile and stay in the car but I didn't do my homework. Looks like thats not going to happen.

The 800 requires lots of fiddling to turn scanlists on and off and the 500 is waaay easier to operate in that respect. I've spent alot of time today trying to make a usable setup for my needs. At first glance it would appear you have lots of flexibility what with 200 scanlists! AND 20 Scansets, which can combine multiple scanlists that can be activated alltogether when the scanset is activated. Only problem is you have to enable ALL the scanlists in order to use any scansets at all. If all the scanlists have to be enabled for them to work in scansets, I am not seeing any benefit. In actuality you STILL have only 20 different "lists" to arrange things in, unless you want to scroll through the 200 lists and deactivate those that you don't want at the moment, one at a time. I think I have settled on NOT using scansets at all. In order to be able to turn off and on scanlists quickly, you have to enable all of them otherwise they won't appear in your scanset. So I am confused - whats the point other than giving you an extra tag to further identify your talkgroup in the display?

SCPD

QRT
The main reason my 800 doesn't go mobile, is that I to change scanlists on the fly. It is easier to push one button than to take your eyes off the road to do the same on the 800. Keypad and Func key would make a world of difference for me:)
Larry

I personally think that the PSR800 would be similar to impaired driving (DUI in the USA), as you just cannot get the scanner to turn on and off scanlists easily .. like you can on the 500 which can be done with a press of ONE key. I know cause I have my 500 programmed so I can toggle scanlists on and off with a press of a number on the keypad.

But don't get me wrong .. the 800 is a nice scanner but definitely one that shouldn't be taken mobile as the navigation system is just WAY too hard to do while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.