PSR 800 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacon12

I recently (Saturday) updated all of my PSR 800 software to the latest so that I could monitor the local Harris P25 Phase 2 system in Bibb County, Ga. I was surprised at how well it is receiving the transmissions..... some are crystal clear but many more are garbled beyond understanding. Is this as good as I'm going to get or is there a solution?
Thank you,
Jarrell

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
I recently (Saturday) updated all of my PSR 800 software to the latest so that I could monitor the local Harris P25 Phase 2 system in Bibb County, Ga. I was surprised at how well it is receiving the transmissions..... some are crystal clear but many more are garbled beyond understanding. Is this as good as I'm going to get or is there a solution?
Thank you,
Jarrell

Your system probably has encrypted radios and/or talkgroups which will sound like garbled donald duck conversations. This usually occurs on analog and sometimes P25 phase I. If the entire talkgroup is encrypted, the PSR800 should just default to a "busy signal" type tone to alert you that it is encrypted.

The other option is that you are just close enough to pickup the digital signal, but too far to properly decode it, which will give same garbled results, but you might be able to pick out some parts of a transmission. Sometimes adjusting the decode rate might help, but do not attempt if you do not know what you are doing! (it is on one of the first two tabs in EZ Scan near lower left of screen)

JK

jacon12

Your system probably has encrypted radios and/or talkgroups which will sound like garbled donald duck conversations. This usually occurs on analog and sometimes P25 phase I. If the entire talkgroup is encrypted, the PSR800 should just default to a "busy signal" type tone to alert you that it is encrypted.

The other option is that you are just close enough to pickup the digital signal, but too far to properly decode it, which will give same garbled results, but you might be able to pick out some parts of a transmission. Sometimes adjusting the decode rate might help, but do not attempt if you do not know what you are doing! (it is on one of the first two tabs in EZ Scan near lower left of screen)

JK
I appreciate the information.
Yes, I can pick out some words in a transmission for mostly it's garbled. I do have an Uniden BC436 that is able to receive and decipher most of Macon's Harris system. It's problem is it doesn't like to be moved AT ALL, so it's essentially a base station now.
Jarrell

Status
Not open for further replies.