PSR-800 Record/Playback Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
If you are recording channels w/ Tone Search or NAC Search, will the radio display the PL/DPL tone or NAC code that was active during the recording?

Also, is there any way to record audio from Limit Searches or Signal Sweepers? If so, does it display tone or NAC on playback?

Thanks!

scannerfreak

Database Admin
If you are recording channels w/ Tone Search or NAC Search, will the radio display the PL/DPL tone or NAC code that was active during the recording?

Not while recording while scanning. I believe it's due to there not being enough room on the display to show that info.

Also, is there any way to record audio from Limit Searches or Signal Sweepers? If so, does it display tone or NAC on playback?

Thanks!

Yes, enable search record. It does display tone info on playback in the radio and software.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
Not while recording while scanning. I believe it's due to there not being enough room on the display to show that info.
Does the tone happen to show up in the software? This really stinks for when you are searching out new users on a frequency and need to differentiate tones...

Gilligan

Database Admin
Wow... so you have to just listen to the frequency w/ absolutely no distinction as to which tone they are using... As a result, you would have to know which tones are active already and set them up as separate channels in a scanlist...

scannerfreak

Database Admin
I agree it would be nice to have that feature, but I'm not sure it's that big of a deal while scanning. It only takes seeing a frequency once to figure out the tone. I can't imagine it would take one long to figure it out.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
This is on my GRE-800 wishlist, too.

It'll display the talkgroups, including wildcard "finds", but not the PL/NAC of a conventional frequency.

Like others, I can capture tones while scanning, if I am looking at the scanner, but during unattended scanning (at night, at work, when not next to scanner) it would be nice if the recordings added this data.

Another possible solution would be to add a wildcard/search feature that captures the talkgroup or tone (PL, NAC) and automatically stores it in the appropriate object's memory. This would require more work on our part, including downloading the scanner data and looking for changes, but it could help with this issue.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Another possible solution would be to add a wildcard/search feature that captures the talkgroup or tone (PL, NAC) and automatically stores it in the appropriate object's memory. This would require more work on our part, including downloading the scanner data and looking for changes, but it could help with this issue.
Sounds like a good idea, however the problem is that the only way to really identify a tone is to actually hear confirmed usage on it. Auto-storing tones would lead to novice users submitting incorrect tones as well as locking out other legitimate users who share the frequency with other tones. I've even seen some setups where one business will use a shared repeater on one frequency with multiple tones. And then there are coverage setups for selecting which repeater to listen to (using different tones). The real need is to store and display tones and NACs when recording so that the users can be truly identified.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Service Search

Is there any way to record audio from Limit Searches or Signal Sweepers? If so, does it display tone or NAC on playback?
Yes, enable search record. It does display tone info on playback in the radio and software.
Does Service Search also show recorded tone/NAC on recording playback?

Does the PSR-800 have a "Special" service search like Uniden's that covers most of the itinerant and business frequencies? Most of the cheaper Motorola radios come with about 54 predefined UHF frequencies already programmed.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, this was a BIG miss by GRE. It would have been I would think, so easy to have WHAT IS ON THE SCREEN recorded along with the audio. Duh. Other annoyances are not being able to do some things from the radio itself (like setting delay time), and being forced to use the software. The people working on the firmware really screwed up in a few areas, and it's irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.