PSR-800 scanning issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embrik

Just picked up the 800, and I'm quite impressed so far. However, there is one major issue I've noticed when scanning, especially with the local trunked 800mhz system here in Madison, WI (moto II).

The issue is that when the scanner picks up a transmission, I hear the first second of audio, then the audio drops for a half-second or so, then it picks back up and stays up for the remainder. It doesn't do this every time, but frequently enough to be annoying. This causes me to miss important info, like a callsign or street name, etc. The display still shows the transmission receiving correctly. Anyone else have this issue? My old RS Pro-95 can scan right next to it and stay up for the whole transmission. I'm using the RS 800MHz antenna with the GRE scanner.
It kinda feels like it's acting as if a priority channel was set and it's checking that, but I haven't set any of those.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of calling GRE to see what they say.

troymail

Silent Key
Just picked up the 800, and I'm quite impressed so far. However, there is one major issue I've noticed when scanning, especially with the local trunked 800mhz system here in Madison, WI (moto II).

The issue is that when the scanner picks up a transmission, I hear the first second of audio, then the audio drops for a half-second or so, then it picks back up and stays up for the remainder. It doesn't do this every time, but frequently enough to be annoying. This causes me to miss important info, like a callsign or street name, etc. The display still shows the transmission receiving correctly. Anyone else have this issue? My old RS Pro-95 can scan right next to it and stay up for the whole transmission. I'm using the RS 800MHz antenna with the GRE scanner.
It kinda feels like it's acting as if a priority channel was set and it's checking that, but I haven't set any of those.

Any ideas? I'm thinking of calling GRE to see what they say.

It does sound like PRIORITY MODE is enabled --

Make sure PRIORITY MODE disabled in the Settings MENU via the radio user interface.

Embrik

I just checked again, priority mode is not selected. To be doubly sure, I've checked and unchecked it. Maybe I can make a recording right on the radio of the glitch.

Embrik

Well, Priority mode is definitely off. I've been able to record a talkgroup and the blank spots actually happen mutiple times per transmission, not just once per. I've also just put in a ticket with GRE, hopefully they can shed some light.

ferensen

I have the same issue: about a 1/2 second loss of audio just after the transmission starts. I will be interested in the results of your ticket.

Embrik

I got a response back. Turns out that the weather priority function was turned on (which is separate from the regular priority mode).

From GRE-

support said:
When this option is enabled, the scanner will check every 6 seconds by default (the check interval can be modified) for a 1050 Hz tone on the selected weather frequency.

To turn this off in the scanner, press the Skywarn/WX button, then press the MENU button. Scroll down to the Priority item and then use the right or left arrow button to set the option to OFF. Scroll up to the Save Changes option and press SEL. This should disable the weather priority check.

Once I turned it off, the problem went away. I must've set it when I first got the scanner, before I knew what I was messing with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.