PSR-800 Software: importing to a system

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I'm using the GRE PSR-800 software to build trunked scanlists using Library Import, but I'm having trouble getting the software to assign sites and TG's to the correct System. It keeps wanting to import them to the wrong System, even if I make a new System.

I also have the RS PRO-668 software, which seems to be the same, and it also does the same thing.

What am I missing?

rwier

I'm using the GRE PSR-800 software to build trunked scanlists using Library Import, but I'm having trouble getting the software to assign sites and TG's to the correct System. It keeps wanting to import them to the wrong System, even if I make a new System.

I also have the RS PRO-668 software, which seems to be the same, and it also does the same thing.

What am I missing?

I "think" that to receive a helpful answer, you will need to identify the State (CO?), the County/Counties (Denver?), the "Correct" TRS/s and the TGs you wish to monitor.

Knowing that information, what I do is import the entire TRS (all Sites and TGs), immediately make a duplicate TRS, and rename that duplicate. Then, editing the duplicate, I remove unwanted Sites and TGs so as to make the remaining TGs and a single Site reflect my desires. Then I repeat the duplication/rename process (and the TG/Site removals) for each single Site that I wish to monitor. After all this is complete, then is the time to assign each TG to one (or more) Scanlists.

N0GTG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Rob. I was importing the Colorado State DTRS (Digital Trunking Radio System) http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=329, and Boulder County.

I thought about doing it the way you suggest, but that's such a convoluted process, I thought there must be a way to do it directly.

With over 220 sites and several thousand TG's, there must be a better way, especially since the software requires each site to be deleted individually.

I set up my programming with each county as a separate System, so I'd much rather do it directly. I wonder if Whistler or RS (or Starrsoft) have anyone on their help lines that knows enough about the software to help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I believe what Rob said is pretty much the only way to do it. I follow a very similar procedure by importing the entire system, locking out all but a single site, assigning all of the talkgroups to a scanlist. Then, duplicate the system, unlock a different site, change the scanlist assignment on that copy to a different scanlist - repeat and many times as needed.

I only other option I can think of is creating multiple VScanner folders and importing 1 or a few sites into each configuration thus making each VScanner a site or county.

Everyone's situation is different but there really isn't a need to assign/map specific talkgroups to specific sites unless of course you really want to try and absolutely limit activity on a given site to the users/talkgroup you expect to be active in that site. Some talkgroups are limited to one or a few sites either by location of the users on that talkgroup and/or programming of the system by the admins. On the other hand, some talkgroups are more likely expected to be heard on many sites or even statewide. Maybe i misunderstood or misread what you wrote on this issue.

Having said all that - do you really need 220 sites imported? Are you traveling to all of the areas covered by all 220 sites? It's unlikely you'll hear all of the sites from any one location (but you probably already knew that).

N0GTG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Troymail. In my programming, I assign TG's to a few sites because the DTRS is a Moto SmartZone system, and radios generally affiliate with only one of a few sites in their area, and some users are denied affiliation on some sites by system administrators. Of course, limiting the number of sites in a system drastically reduces the time spent looking for sites that are out of range, or don't normally carry a TG.

No, I don't need or want all 220 sites imported. My problem is that when I import a new system, the software wants to append any sites I select to a system I previously built.

So, if I select sites 1, 2, and 3, and TG's A and B for the first system, and try to build a second system with sites 4 and 5 and TG's C and D, the software appends them to the first system, and I have sites 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and TG's A, B, C, and D on the first system, and nothing on the second system. I can't figure out how to send sites 4 and 5, and the next set of TG's to the new system.

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks, Troymail. In my programming, I assign TG's to a few sites because the DTRS is a Moto SmartZone system, and radios generally affiliate with only one of a few sites in their area, and some users are denied affiliation on some sites by system administrators. Of course, limiting the number of sites in a system drastically reduces the time spent looking for sites that are out of range, or don't normally carry a TG.

Absolutely - exactly the reason I do the full import of the system (my system currently only has about 25 sites) and then do the lockout/duplicate system steps to make each each "appear" to be it's own system in a different scanlist.

No, I don't need or want all 220 sites imported. My problem is that when I import a new system, the software wants to append any sites I select to a system I previously built.

Yup - that's what it does because of the "update system" feature based on updates coming from the library that is updated each week. I had not tried it until now but I thought if you did a system import with a single site, and the changed the name of the system in EZ Scan, the subsequent imports won't see a match and thus create a "new" copy of the system in EZ Scan. However, that didn't work as I expected to (at least in the Whistler version of EZ Scan). So it seems the only option when doing imports is to use the duplicate feature (or manually program).

So, if I select sites 1, 2, and 3, and TG's A and B for the first system, and try to build a second system with sites 4 and 5 and TG's C and D, the software appends them to the first system, and I have sites 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and TG's A, B, C, and D on the first system, and nothing on the second system. I can't figure out how to send sites 4 and 5, and the next set of TG's to the new system.

Yup - I see that also. Your best bet is to import, duplicate and edit.

FWIW - Uniden's Sentinel has features and limitations too that require editing after the import. I am constantly back and forth between EZ Scan and Sentinel playing with the features and options. The both have their strengths and weaknesses. Point being they both handle importing things very well (could you imagine having to manually program/enter all of this data?). But they have different editing features in which we can always find limitations. There's an infinite number of ways we might want to program our radios and GRE/Whistler and Uniden will never be able to provide us with every one of those options.

Status
Not open for further replies.