PSR 800 to GRE for a tune up ; Am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatracker

I've had my PSR 800 for a few months now. I noticed right away the reception was not on the level of my 396XT or PSR 500. I receive the county system where I live (Hillsborough County Public Safety Trunking System, Hillsborough County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies) but when I'm inside my residence I barely pick up the neighboring counties, which the other two units pick up with ease at five bars.I'm using the RS 800 MHZ rubber duck, attenuator is off, etc. So after the new scanner effect wore off I became increasingly unsatisfied and finally am willing to part with the 800 to send it to GRE for a "tune up". The tech at GRE says he they will run it thru a diagnostic test to see if the unit is up to specs, and if it's not it's time for a new board. BTW reception is inferior as well on an external antenna. I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what you did about it? Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance,

bkantor

No issues here, but I have heard this complaint before on these boards...maybe a bad batch of radios? What series is your serial #? (mine is #3412) and the reception is better than my other radios, including the Pro-106.

Bob

tampatracker

Yeah, a bad bunch is kinda what crossed my mind too. Serial is 001510. Hopefully they can get the radio up to specs one way or the other. Thanks for the quick response, TT.

Wes

Premium Subscriber
Mine still doesn't seem phenomenal on a P25 system. What did you ask GRE to get them to run diagnostics on it?

tampatracker

Last edited:

exportdawg

I go between the RS 800 MHz duckie, an https://www.scannermaster.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=20-540972, and a https://www.scannermaster.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=04-540720 So far the RS duck is producing the best results, with the Laird a close second. The tech at GRE said they have some kind of system analyzer which determines if the unit is up to specs. We didn't get into any other specifics about it.

You should be rocking with the RatShack duck, I guess you might need a tweak from GRE.

IowaGuy1603

Mine kicks butt on TWO different P25 systems....One of them a simulcast system that most have trouble monitoring.

Using either the standard duck or an mag mount RS scanner antenna on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.