psr or uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
it's ALWAYS good to shop around - but the lowest price doesn't always mean that's the best place to buy... shipping costs, service after the sale (if necessary), etc. -- so many choices...

I always had a good experience with and bought all my Unidens from ScannerWorld but they don't sell GREs (or at least they didn't when I went to buy mine)...ended up with Grove for my GRE but ended up paying through the nose for shipping - (but mostly because I was all excited and wanted it over night)

trixwagen

Come on, this is like Ford or Chevy.

I'll go out on a limb and say if you are going to hook to an external antenna, go with Uniden. Or if that GPS feature is important. Uniden.

Otherwise GRE.

I'm leaning toward Uniden myself. No reason.

WouffHong

Uniden vs PSR

PSR has a good Technical reputation, Uniden has been around a lot longer in this market..

I was considering a PSR until I noted just HOW many are showing up here "for sale", so got the 996T Uniden and VERY happy with it, especially on a trip w/GPS auto-switching, ease of use and bodacious audio! :) JUST AN IMHO.. Tom

lytlhlf said:
gonna go digital,any preferences,suggestions,help in choosing psr or uniden

lytlhlf

psr uniden

was looking at scannermaster website,guess programming software is amust my old scanner pro 2041 was pretty simple to program

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I am guessing that you are getting this because of the expanding LATIE system. If so then carefully compare the way you can set up the scan lists on the GRE models as opposed to the way Uniden handles them. Do this before you commit to buy either one.

ajl442

Which would you recommend for the LATIE system?

loumaag said:
I am guessing that you are getting this because of the expanding LATIE system. If so then carefully compare the way you can set up the scan lists on the GRE models as opposed to the way Uniden handles them. Do this before you commit to buy either one.

Landman

They are both good scanners. It mainly comes down to personal preference with the various features and how the menus are set up, etc. I chose the PSR because I can program almost 1800 talkgroups into one system. We have over 700 known talkgroups in the database for Latie so far and it is rapidly growing. With Uniden you are limited to 200 talkgroups per system unless you program that system in several times with different talkgroups in each but that would slow down scan time as the scanner rotates through control channels for each programmed system. I also like the fact that I can quickly manually select a certain talkgroup on the PSR by pressing [MAN] [NUMBER KEY] [NUMBER KEY] [ENTER]. This feature comes in very handy when the system is busy and the people you are listening to say, "goto channel X." Murphy's law dictates that if you just hit scan to follow the conversation to the talkgroup they are switching to then the scanner will always stop on another takgroup instead. The big "Select" button on the keypad is also very handy for navigating through the scanlists and channels. Uniden's method of manually selecting a talkgroup requires many more key presses and is just about impossible to do with one hand. Not good while driving. I also like the PSR's 20 dB attenuation that can be activated/deactivated by a single keypress. It makes dealing with cellular interference in 800 easier to deal with in urban areas. Again, these are my personal preferences. Some people may not have issues with the above. The best thing to do is to download the manuals for each and read them and decide which you like better.

W9NES

I am from Indianapolis,Indiana and was looking at your question.I would recomend the Uniden Bc 996T and the Uniden Bc 396T for the handheld.I own (5) of the 996T's and I own (1) of the Uniden Bc 396T portable handhelds.I am "pro" Uniden and I would recomend the Uniden line over the PSR radios hands down!!! Something to think about,The newsmedia across the county have had the choice in the matter and the Newsdirectors along with the Assignment Editors who work the desk prefer the Uniden line.I have never seen a PSR scanner on a Assignment desk.Our local Radio Station here in Indianapolis bought (2) of the Uniden BC 996T's and (2) of the Uniden Bc 396T's for there use.I got to program them up for them and they are very happy with them.If I was going to buy a Scanner for APCO 25 and think about the future radio systems comming on line down the road I would buy a Uniden Bc 996T or a Uniden Bc 396T.Just my two cents worth

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
ajl442 said:
Which would you recommend for the LATIE system?
Sorry for the delay in this answer, but I have been out of town (and away from the computer) since mid-last-week.

I am not sure. I know from the standpoint of memory usage and user ability to control what you hear, when you hear it, the Uniden is far superior to the GRE method. That said, if you are in the NOLA area and plan on listening to the simulcast sites, then I suggest you find someone in the NOLA area with a PSR-500/600 to meet you so you can give a listen. I have not, and although the recent firmware upgrade improved things on the Uniden BCD396T/996T drastically, I am not sure that they rival the PSR's yet based on reports that I have gotten from someone I trust. I was just in the NOLA area (trip above mentioned), and although I did not get the opportunity to do a side by side comparison (by 396 vs a GRE model), I could still say that improvement could be made on the Unidens when it comes to the simulcast situation.

As for the recommendation of using the 396T, it is a good radio, but it is hampered by the "old" Uniden method of only allowing 1 control channel per system (bank) to be used; whereas, the BCD996T does not have that limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.