PSR Scanners and Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrequenC

I went to the Signal 51 web site Public Emergency Services Radio Frequency Rebanding Information to get a better understanding of rebanding before I purchase a scanner, has anyone else read this information? I was pricing scanners and while id on not have a lot to spend I want a scanner that is capable of the rebanding. I live in Southeast Michigan and Mich State Police, Wayne and Oakland County Sheriff as well as Northern Oakland county departments like Waterford, White Lake, West Bloomfield, Commerce, Highland and Hartland to name a few are the frequencies I am interested in monitoring. I would also like a base over a mobile; I was looking at the PSR 400 and PSR 600. According to the information read at least that I could access on Signal 51 these radios appear to be capable of rebanding. Forgive the multi question long winded explanation, I am sure as I go along I will ask more intelligent and to the point questions. In closing I appreciate any suggestions and or help you may offer it is most appreciated. I am not new to scanners however from my first Regency Crystal Scanner to my Bearcat Comb scanner (the last I owned) so much has changed. Looking forward to coming back to the wonderful world of scanner monitoring, 73's and thank you in advance for your consideration.

FrenquenC

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at the PSR 400 and PSR 600. According to the information read at least that I could access on Signal 51 these radios appear to be capable of rebanding.
Both of those radios can receive rebanded systems. The PSR-400 can only receive analog audio while the PSR-600 can also receive digital audio. Check out the Wiki section here on RR for more info on each scanner.

mikey60

I went to the Signal 51 web site Public Emergency Services Radio Frequency Rebanding Information to get a better understanding of rebanding before I purchase a scanner, has anyone else read this information? I was pricing scanners and while id on not have a lot to spend I want a scanner that is capable of the rebanding.

The PSR-400 and PSR600 are both capable of tracking rebanded systems. The PSR-400 needs to have the latest Firmware installed.

I live in Southeast Michigan and Mich State Police, Wayne and Oakland County Sheriff as well as Northern Oakland county departments like Waterford, White Lake, West Bloomfield, Commerce, Highland and Hartland to name a few are the frequencies I am interested in monitoring.

The State police, Wayne, and Macomb counties would require a digital scanner (i.e. the PSR-600). The days of being able to monitor the Oakland County agencies are definately numbered, since the system they are switching to cannot be monitored by any scanner on the market today.

Mike

wolverine

Clermont county, Ohio trunked system has just rebanded, just programmed the new frequencies into my PSR-500 and it receives the system. So it will work just fine.

jambo

Now days your better of buying the GRE 500 or 600 as they will cover all the systems out there, excluding the system which uses Provoice, to date there is no scanner that will track Provoice. So, with that being said, my advice to you would be to purchace the GRE 500 or 600 which will cover all of it for you, and avoid the need for another purchase down the road because your area decided to go all digital someday. Also, both the 500 and 600 support rebanding so you can't go wrong with either radio.

Last edited:

mikey60

Now days your better of buying the GRE 500 or 600 as they will cover all the systems out there, excluding the system which uses Provoice, to date there is no scanner that will track Provoice. So, with that being said, my advice to you would be to purchace the GRE 500 or 600 which will cover all of it for you, and avoid the need for another purchase down the road because your area decided to go all digital someday. Also, both the 500 and 600 support rebanding.

The PSR-500/600 do not do Pro-Voice or Open sky (which Oakland County is switching to), but they do APCO-25 trunked like the MPSCS very well.

Mike

FrequenC

Psr-600

I appreciate the responses and the opinions that I have received on this topic. I ordered a PSR-600 last night and hope to receive it Tuesday. I am going to provide an audio feed as soon as I get the frequencies and programming hashed out. I need to learn about trunking so I can provide the frequencies for my scanner-less friends in Michigan to enjoy. Thanks for this wonderful forum and 73's to you all.

Greetings from White Lake Michigan
White Lake Township Police Department

KE4RWS

Psr-600

I see you decided to purchase the PSR-600 vs. the PSR-400. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new scanner. I've had my PSR-600 about 5 months now and I absolutely love this thing, and I also originally had to decide whether or not the 400 or 600 was the one for me (actually I wanted the 600 from the start but it was the extra $$ that delayed things!). By far the best scanner I've ever owned though. Once I got past the slight learning curve and read the manual, which is key here, I couldn't wait to see all the things it would do not only on it's own but via software as well. The software really makes this thing shine in terms of blowing me away as to what it can do not only for yourself but others. The good folks here on RR also helped me understand things better and I had it up and running in no time.

I checked out your receiver collection and saw where you have (or maybe had) an old Sonnet. I didn't even remember having one of those until I saw the picture of yours! That sure brought back some memories. I remember sitting in my room in the 1970's tuning around trying to listen in to the local sheriff's dept and whatever else I could drum up on that thing. I'd truly forgotten about that old receiver until seeing yours. Actually I owned several of the models you have in your album. I even recall buying a JIL SX200 back around 1982. Although it wasn't in your album my memory was jarred and a lot of old stuff poured out! I used the JIL scanner for several years until the volume and squelch "slider" controls wore out. Those type of controls were usually very cheap and either got dirty quickly or wore out altogether. By then I had my eye on something newer though . . .

Good luck with your new PSR-600. Not that you'll need luck or anything, but I guess I should say 'enjoy' your new scanner. I also read where you were trying to find one in stock using the payment method you required, so hopefully by now you've acquired one :)

Randy

BTW: Cool screen name . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.