PSR310 vs/ Uniden BC346xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7iOS

Dispatcher & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE PSR-310 trunking scanner and am getting rid of due to the known sensitivity of GRE scanners from near by transmitters (Cell towers,etc) I wont go in depth about that though... what im wanting to know is the Uniden BC346xt better or worse in your opinion compared to the PSR-310? Because i am picking one up tomorrow.

Your feedback is appreciated.. and just for the record my mind is set on getting rid of the PSR-310, its just a matter of getting the new one and making sure its not a bad decision.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
The BC346XT is a nice scanner with nice functions,but it does not digital trunktrack or pick up MILAIR freqs.

ST-Bob

Database Admin
There's a thing called a tuneable notch-filter that will fix your problem. Is it free? No. Should GRE put one in every scanner? No.
99% of the customers who buy these scanners don't live within spitting distance of an interfering pager or other high powered transmitter that would showcase the problem.

I have a Pro-163 feeding my RadioReference feed and had to apply a notch filter to clean up the local pagers which caused horrible intermod on all my VHF reception. No more problems...

In my opinion; suck it up and fix your problem. Don't blame the manufacturer for the unique circumstances of your RF-flooded reception area. Do something about it. It cost me maybe $80 to solve all my problems for multiple scanners attached to that antenna system. A far better dollar ratio than making each scanner cost $80 more for everybody when the 1% who actually need the notch filter are the only ones affected IMHO.

N7iOS

Premium Subscriber
There's a thing called a tuneable notch-filter that will fix your problem. Is it free? No. Should GRE put one in every scanner? No.
99% of the customers who buy these scanners don't live within spitting distance of an interfering pager or other high powered transmitter that would showcase the problem.

I have a Pro-163 feeding my RadioReference feed and had to apply a notch filter to clean up the local pagers which caused horrible intermod on all my VHF reception. No more problems...

In my opinion; suck it up and fix your problem. Don't blame the manufacturer for the unique circumstances of your RF-flooded reception area. Do something about it. It cost me maybe $80 to solve all my problems for multiple scanners attached to that antenna system. A far better dollar ratio than making each scanner cost $80 more for everybody when the 1% who actually need the notch filter are the only ones affected IMHO.
Understandable, but i want the ease of being able to use my handheld scanner w/out attaching a tunable notch filter. I know that would have solved my problem, but i recently sold the PSR 310 and spent an extra $30 to get the BC346XT and it works 10 times better w/out the inconvenience of buying a notch filter. And yes i do think GRE should address this issue b/c i know numerous people who have same problem w/ GRE devices.

N7iOS

Premium Subscriber
Oh and to the previous posters... i went and did it. Ham Radio Outlet actually made an exception for me and returned it and then went to Fry's electronics and picked up BC346xt for $199. Works awesome, no problems at all so far! Don't get me wrong the UI took like 8hrs straight to finally get a feel for the menu's and all that. But now i have 4 local 800mhz systems programmed in and nicely organized!

Status
Not open for further replies.