PSR310 - Weather Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwiscan

Can anyone suggest the best way to configure a PSR310 for weather alerts, how it will alert and and how to use weather in general?

I would like to keep it bedside and allow it to scan and alery me to warnings when they pop up.

Currently at night, I have locked out my usual frequenciesand have SKYWARN in the last bank and the SAME codes inserted. The weather station priority is set to "lower case pri". I also disabled the WX priority from the GLOB setting so it doesnt scan the weather while normal scanning.

I have never gotten any weather alerts though?... Im not sure what the best way to configure this?

nwiscan

Thanks. So im guessing if I want to just monitor the SAME alerts, providing I have the codes in correctly, I would tune to my WX channel and press "stby"... I notice when I do so the WX frequency on stby turns off....

I assume that means its now just monitoring SAME and will only turn on if a warning comes thru.... is that correct?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Correct.

Program the SAME codes you want to be alerted for, then tune to your local NWS frequency and press F2 stby. The audio will mute and stby will change to STBY. The scanner is now in SAME Standby mode. It will sit on the NWS frequency and monitor for the SAME alerts you've programmed, and will alert if any of them are broadcast.

nwiscan

thank you for confirming this for me, im glad I have it running as I hoped.

At one time, I thought I had to have the weather priority turned on thru the GLOB settings to get the SAME warnings. That setting was annoying as it would switch over to check the WX channel in the middle of transmissions thus inserting a small glitch in the audio.

If anyone want to add anything about weather settings, skywarn etc withthe 310, I am all ears.

Thanks again Chauffeur6!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Weather Priority mode only monitors for the generic 1050 Hz analog alert tone they broadcast during events. It will not decode SAME alerts.

In order to decode and alert for SAME, the scanner must be locked exclusively on an NWR frequency, it can't perform any other function.

Essentially, it becomes a very fancy $150 weather radio in SAME Standby mode. But, if you're using it at night when you're asleep and not hearing anything else, it's a nice feature to have.

Make sure you take a look at the Easier to Read manual that I linked to earlier. It explains all of the features of the scanner.

Easier to Read PSR310/410 Scanner Manual

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Something else... {WAN GRIN!} Try and catch one of the required weekly tests of the SAME broadcasts so that you will have an idea of where to have your volume control set! While it is nice to have it loud enough to wake one having it too loud tends to almost cause a HA. Especially if it occurs at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.