PSR400 and MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Not really a twin IMHO. The PSR600 uses an Object Oriented Interface and dynamic memory, while the PSR400 uses banks and channels. Physically the same size however.

Keep in mind that MPSCS requires a P25 digital capable scanner such as the PSR500 or 600 as mentioned.

mel5051

What are we going to do in Michigan when they go to the freq's that are classified as 'cell phone freq's' ?? Our 500/600's will become quite useless :-(

rmiller818

What are we going to do in Michigan when they go to the freq's that are classified as 'cell phone freq's' ?? Our 500/600's will become quite useless :-(

What frequencies would those be? Or are you talking about rebanding, in which case the newer scanners (including the ones mentioned in this thread) are capable of that.

mel5051

The new frequencies in the 800 range, here in Oakland County they will be going live very soon. All of the Oakland county departments will be dispatched on the Oakland County network. Since this frequency range is classified as cell phone use no scanner manufacturer can make a scanner capable of receiving those frequencies. It is the part of the scanner freq's that the 600 states it will not scan.

If you know of a way please send me a message :)

Mel

mel5051

"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page issued an order in July, 2004) requiring all Public Safety radios (NPSPAC) operating in the 821-824 and 866-869 MHz frequencies to change their operating frequency to a newly created Public Safety Band at 806-809 and 851-854 MHz"

This is coming live for me here in Michigan in Oakland County very soon...I wanted to know if there was any way to receive when they do 'flip the switch'.

mel5051

That is nothing more than the rebanding I was talking of, it can still be received.

I have a source that says that no scanner will be able to pick them up because they are in the cell phone frequency band.

I'm very confused now.. I still can't pick up the Detroit Police and I'm sure they are already switched over to the new bandwidth. I've tried downloading Wayne County from here and it still won't pick up Detroit PD. I know I'm not doing something correctly I just don't know what...

Mel

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You're confusing things... Oakland County is on OpenSky, which cannot be heard with a scanner and probably never will be.

Detroit PD is on MPSCS, and that requires a digital scanner. You will always be able to hear them.

mikey60

I have a source that says that no scanner will be able to pick them up because they are in the cell phone frequency band.

The ability to monitor Oakland county is not a frequency issue (the frequencies being used are not in the cellular bands), it's a propietary digital protocol as Rob mentioned, and is not very likely that any of the scanner manufacturers will be able to build a scanner that can monitor it anytime soon.

I'm very confused now.. I still can't pick up the Detroit Police and I'm sure they are already switched over to the new bandwidth. I've tried downloading Wayne County from here and it still won't pick up Detroit PD. I know I'm not doing something correctly I just don't know what...

Mel

As mentioned, Detroit is on the MPSCS. Go to Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies and program tower 701 in. You can scroll down to find the talkgroups used by the Detroit agencies. Wayne county is also on the MPSCS now.

Mike

dfdavenport

Picked the PSR600

Thanks all. I returned the PSR 400 and have ordered the PSR600 which I should have shortly.

I downloaded the ARC500 software to get a feel for it. Any thoughts on how well it works with the PSR600?

Thanks

Don

mikey60

Thanks all. I returned the PSR 400 and have ordered the PSR600 which I should have shortly.

I downloaded the ARC500 software to get a feel for it. Any thoughts on how well it works with the PSR600?

Thanks

Don

I can't answer your question about ARC500, but my suggestion would be to try all of the software packages that will work with the PSR-600 and see what works best for you. All of the software packages that work with the PSR-600 come with a 30 day free trial, and all do basically the same thing.

Information on the available software packages can be found in the WIKI at Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki .

Mike

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Or just go ahead and purchase a license for PSREdit, the support is outstanding and can't be any more close to the source. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.