PSR500/600 - Explain P25 auto/manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I've had fairly success here with a simulcast 800 P25 system when using the PSR-600 or 500.
I see an option to change the P25 setting from Auto to Manual.
Can anyone point me somewhere that explains this in greater detail?

I'd like to play with the manual settings but I'm not really sure where the settings are changed.
For example, I see in both Arc500 and Win500 how to change the P25 mode from Auto to Manual but I don't see where one would change any settings when you set a system too manual.
I do see threshold Hi and Low settings for each system in Arc500 but those also exist for conventional systems so I'm not sure they have anything to do with a P25 setting of manual. I do not see the threshold settings at all in Win500 unless I just overlooked them.

If anyone can explain the manual P25 settings too me, that would be great!

I have one system that I'd like to play with just to see if it can be improved any as far as decode errors go but I'm lost as to what gets changed when I select Manual P25.

Thanks!

mikey60

In P25 Auto, the scanner will look for the frequency/channel tables needed to track the system on the control channel data stream. In most cases, this is the correct setting for a system using the P25 9600bps control channel. In probably 99% (strictly a guess) of the P25 systems out there, this setting will take care of providing the scanner with what it needs to track the system.

There are some systems out there that do not transmit the frequency/channel tables on the control channel. In those instances the P25 Manual mode would be used. When in this mode the scanner will not look for the frequency/channel data on the control channel. By default, the scanner will use the "Standard" 800MHz trunking tables. While this should work fine for most 800MHz systems, it will not work for any UHF or VHF systems.

In this case, the trunking tables would need to be entered manually. Those tables depend on the system being monitored.

Mike

AARONWADE

Premium Subscriber
In P25 Auto, the scanner will look for the frequency/channel tables needed to track the system on the control channel data stream. In most cases, this is the correct setting for a system using the P25 9600bps control channel. In probably 99% (strictly a guess) of the P25 systems out there, this setting will take care of providing the scanner with what it needs to track the system.

There are some systems out there that do not transmit the frequency/channel tables on the control channel. In those instances the P25 Manual mode would be used. When in this mode the scanner will not look for the frequency/channel data on the control channel. By default, the scanner will use the "Standard" 800MHz trunking tables. While this should work fine for most 800MHz systems, it will not work for any UHF or VHF systems.

In this case, the trunking tables would need to be entered manually. Those tables depend on the system being monitored.

Mike
do you have mcclain okl fire diggle washington fire/dibble/cole/ now how to gett them email me at aaron23901@yahoo.com

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Mike

Thanks Mike.
That explained everything. I was thinking they had some settings like the early Uniden 996 and 396 T models had where one could adjust the P25 settings for a better decode. This is completely opposite of what I was thinking!

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Thanks Mike.
That explained everything. I was thinking they had some settings like the early Uniden 996 and 396 T models had where one could adjust the P25 settings for a better decode. This is completely opposite of what I was thinking!

Check out this `link'...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pJ4HPyKG38v1IamIGWMrKFw

While I do not know if this will actually help your particular situation as it kinda sounds like you are dealing with "One of the crosses we have to bear because of how DTR works." akin to what we eventually accepted with the difference between AM and FM transmissions. (IE: Why aircraft still use AM not FM.)

Status
Not open for further replies.