PSR500 BNC Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatshovel

Hello all,
I bought a PSR500 about a month or so ago and I love the radio. However the BNC antenna seems like it does not fit very snug into the antenna connector on the radio. If you take the radio with you and the antenna shakes a little like when walking you can hear the signal popping in and out as the antenna keeps moving around in the socket. I had a different antenna on another HT that was BNC put it on and it fits snug and does not wiggle around like the stock antenna. Also that stock antenna does the same thing on my other radios. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? I think I'm going to contact GRE about this and see what they have to say. The antenna connector to the radio is tight and is not the problem.

Thanks,
Joey

Finally Someone Else

I was wondering if anyone else was going to say this. I HATE the loose, wobbly antenna connection. HATE.

It is the ONE SINGLE THING I HATE about this radio.

I am wondering if maybe the antenna made for the pro-96 would be a good choice. Doesn't RS make a multi-band scanner antenna? I guess I need to motivate myself and go try to find a replacement now that I am thinking about it.

Please update this thread with your solution when you find it. Thanks.

Flatshovel

Thanks for replying. I think that the other antenna that I tried is one of those radio shack antennas you are talking about, not sure I can't remember when I bought and from where. I can't really tell any difference either between it and the stock antenna performance is about the same. However the antenna is a little better but not much but somewhat of a improvement. I really wish there was a radio store close by that sold antennas I would go down and try to find a suitable replacement. If not I guess putting a new BNC connector in the radio would be a solution maybe? Who knows Im not doing it with the radio under warranty.

If I can get my hands on some more rubber duck bnc antennas I will post back with my results.

Thanks,
Joey

Found Solution - Very Happy

For those of you cursed with a wobbly antenna connection as I am, take heart. After seeing Flatshovel complain about this I was determined to fix the situation. I really miss the great connection the antenna on my BCD396T had. SMA kicks butt in my view.

The way the stock antenna fit on the PSR-500 was pathetic, and it was the one single thing I hated about this scanner.

After some research I settled on replacing it with the RH519 from Diamond and headed down to HRO at lunch. What an improvement it is in every way.

No it isn't going to perform miracles and double reception to begin with. It is slightly better for me in UHF, the same in VHF except a touch better in the air band, and better on 800 mhz than the stock duck by a nose over stock. Overall not worlds of difference, though that UHF improvement helped with a few issues.

No, the real difference is the upgrade to your radio in looks and feel. The cover is solid black that goes over the lug, and the fit is TIGHT! Once connected there is a solid black look that is more professional looking, and the precision of the connection is ten times better than the stock antenna, with no slack or wiggle room, like a well tightened sma connection almost. Very nice.

Also the thin whip minimizes stress on your radio's connection over time with rough use situations.

As a bonus this antenna is supposed to be hot in military air bands, so it should be interesting.

If you own a PSR-500 and it's antenna is half as loose as mine was, do yourself a favor and ditch that piece of junk. It really makes the radio look, feel, and to an extent perform, like a cheaper radio.

I am sure there are other antennas that would do nicely too, but I have to put in the good word for this antenna on this scanner.

The antenna listed in the post above me seems like smart choice though for those focused mainly in that band, I like the antenex brand and had good results on the BCD396T.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
As an alternate solution, people have suggested the use of rubber "O" rings placed around the BNC connector at the bottom; this makes for a tight, wobble free antenna connection. I don't recall the suggested size of the O-ring, or where to obtain them.

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
the antenna that came with my psr500 fits ok, the antenna that came with my psr100 however (which im pretty sure is the same antenna, they both have the same number on the bottom) fits both scanners loosely

Flatshovel

Thanks to all for replying. Yep I did email GRE and there solution was to use a o-ring around the base of the antenna, I have some in the shop I will try one and see if that helps. If not I think I might buy one of those antennas from AntennaX and go from there. However GRE said they would be more than happy to send me a new antenna from them.

Thanks,
Joey

InDICa

loose

Mine was also loose! A $500.00 dollar scanner and a 2 cent antenna! :( (IMO)

Last edited:

Flatshovel

Yep that I exactly what I thought! Looks like for $500 the antenna would be a little better. I did try putting a o-ring around the antenna connector, but could not get the antenna to clip on without having to take a pair of pliers to get it to turn, needless to say I did not use the o-ring Idea. I think I will look at other antenna alternatives and see what I come up with.

Joey

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I just used the old (stock) antenna that was on my Pro-94. Fits perfectly and works as well as any stock rubber duckie would (which is good enough for me).

CStarr59

The RS 800MHz antenna fits very snug on all GRE scanners. Also the diamond RH77CA is a great fitting and super performing antenna. My psr-100 stock antenna lasted about 1 hour as the loose connection was totally unexceptable. I mostly use the RS 800MHz as it looks good and performs great, the diamond is twice as long and can sometimes get in the way. But the diamond performance is second to none, it just simple works.

Flatshovel

Just wanted everyone to know that I got a replacement stock antenna from GRE today and it fit tight and snug just like it should. I contacted GRE about the issue a couple of weeks ago and they told me they had some issues with the stock antenna and was working on the problem and would send me a new stock antenna after they fixed them. Well sure enough they must of fixed them because the one I got today fits great! GRE customer service is great to deal with and is willing to work with you every way possible. Im really glad I bought a PSR500!! Hopefully maybe others that are having the same problem can contact GRE like I did and hopefully get a replacement!

Thanks again to all the comments and help,

Joey

GRE seems to just keep impressing with outstanding customer service, I hear nothing but good about they way they treat people, and just as important how quickly they get into gear when there is an issue that needs to be resolved. I will probably get the stock replacement so I have a good one now, but I like the thin whip on the diamond, it helps in tight quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.