PSR500 says its scanning, but it isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeaves726

Interesting problem. Its very possible that its operator error but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have a Pro-96 and a PSR-500. I have the same trunking system programmed on both (Nashville, TN Metro PD and Fire). When I first turn on the PSR, it scans very well. After about 15 to 20 minutes, it will stop receiving any transmissions. It still shows "scanning" and that it's connected to the control channel with full signal on the LCD display, but never stops on anything.

I started to wonder because I'll have times where no radio transmissions will come through for very long periods (45 minutes to an hour). If I press any of the buttons on the front, like "man" and then start scanning again, it will instantly start picking up traffic. It will also do this if I'm holding on a channel. as soon as I change the channel and go back to the original, it will pick it up again.

I usually never monitor both scanners at the same time but started to wonder when I wasn't receiving anything on the PSR. Having them both on at the same time and on the same channel, the pro-96 will continue to pick up the active channels while the PSR shows scanning.

Has anyone come across this? Thanks in advance for your help.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
What DSP and CPU Firmware version are you using on your PSR-500? (Press 3 on the Welcome Message)

DonS

Is it this system?

If so, do you have control channels from both sites programmed into the PSR-500 and, if you do, how is the "MultiSite" option set? If it's set to "off" or "roam", you may be leaving the Public Safety site, going to the Public Services site, from which you'll never (I'm guessing, based on the site names) hear any of your "Metro PD and Fire" talkgroups. If this is what's happening, possible solutions would include a) removing the control channels for the "public services" site or b) set the TSYS to MultiSite=STAT.

jeaves726

Hi Dave,

uP Appl Ver:U1.3
DSP App Ver:U1.2
DSP Voc Ver:F1.0

I think I'm up to the current version, but I don't know about the DSP Voc thing. I only updated the cpu and dsp app.

Thanks for your reply.

jeaves726

DonS said:
If so, do you have control channels from both sites programmed into the PSR-500 and, if you do, how is the "MultiSite" option set? If it's set to "off" or "roam", you may be leaving the Public Safety site, going to the Public Services site, from which you'll never (I'm guessing, based on the site names) hear any of your "Metro PD and Fire" talkgroups. If this is what's happening, possible solutions would include a) removing the control channels for the "public services" site or b) set the TSYS to MultiSite=STAT.

you're correct on the system. I have both site one and two programmed with the control and alternates. My understanding was that PD and Fire only use site one.

I do have "multisite" set to off. That makes sense though, it would probably just read from the strongest control channel (I guess). I'll change that setting and give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

DonS

With MultiSite set to "Off", the scanner will, every time you hit "Scan" (or move to a TGRP in MAN mode), start looking through the list of system frequencies, searching for a control channel. As soon as it finds one, it will stay on that CC until it "loses it", at which time it will then continue through the system frequency list looking for a new CC. A short "dropout" on the "Public Safety" CC could cause this new search - the radio would then find a CC on the "Public Services" site and would stick on it until that one was "lost" (or until you restart scanning).

Removing the Public Services frequencies from the TSYS will, of course, prevent the radio from ever getting to that site. Changing the MultiSite option to "STAT" will force the radio to check all CCs so that you'll always get back to the Public Safety site.

If you only want to monitor talkgroups from the Public Safety site, I'd remove the Public Services frequencies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.