psr500 scan efficiency: program only control channels or all channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

I was wondering if its better to program all channels (voice and control) or just control channel(s) for a trunked system.

If I have multiple trunked systems assigned to 1 scanlist, then am I correct that the scanner would spend less time scanning each trunked system if I have the minimum # of freq programmed in (control channell only?) Won't the scanner use control channel only mode to figue out the voice freq?

If so, I want to delete the voice channels that i Have programmed in.

dizwiz

The only potential downside would be if they changed (swapped) cc to a voice freq

W6KRU

The only potential downside would be if they changed (swapped) cc to a voice freq

Doing that requires reprogramming every radio in the system. If the system is only a few radios that might happen. On a large system with hundreds of radios, probably not.

FireDawgEMT22

Doing that requires reprogramming every radio in the system. If the system is only a few radios that might happen. On a large system with hundreds of radios, probably not.

Usually they have a list of CC and Alternate CC programmed into each radio. So if they change the CC to one of the alternates, the radio will automatically find the new CC without reprogram.

W6KRU

Usually they have a list of CC and Alternate CC programmed into each radio. So if they change the CC to one of the alternates, the radio will automatically find the new CC without reprogram.

Yes, but the alternate CCs would not be voice channels.

remay

Premium Subscriber
I have found out both with Goodlettsville and #2 Nashville tower to place all frequencies. Goodlettsville just recently added a control channel that had it not been added into my scanner I would not have heard the talk groups.

W6KRU

I have found out both with Goodlettsville and #2 Nashville tower to place all frequencies. Goodlettsville just recently added a control channel that had it not been added into my scanner I would not have heard the talk groups.

That is possible but like I said many posts ago, adding a new control channel requires reprogramming all radios in the system. If there are only a few radios on the system, no problem. If there are several hundred, it is going to take some serious justification for that kind of labor.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
If I have multiple trunked systems assigned to 1 scanlist, then am I correct that the scanner would spend less time scanning each trunked system if I have the minimum # of freq programmed in (control channell only?) Won't the scanner use control channel only mode to figue out the voice freq?

Regarding efficiency, it depends on if you have Multi-site settings enabled for any of the systems.

If Multi-site is set to STAT, and "Check All CCs" is checked, then it will take more time for the scanner to look for and analyze each control channel on each pass. That could definitely make it appear that the scanner is scanning more slowly.

The scanner is going to use the control channel data to determine the active voice frequencies regardless of whether you program voice frequencies into the system or not. With Multi-site set to ROAM or OFF, the scanner will scan the first CC that it finds that qualifies and scan it. The quicker the scanner finds the active CC, the quicker it will scan the system.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

You said, "If I have multiple trunked systems assigned to 1 scanlist...". Do you have 2 or more SYSTEMS programmed at the same time in 1 scanlist, or do you have 2 or more SITES of the same system programmed into 1 scanlist?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

For example, have you programmed the 2 different trunked systems of both City A and City B into 1 scanlist? Or have you programmed sites 1, 2 and 3 of City A's trunked system into 1 scan list?

Status
Not open for further replies.