PSR500 - Upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecult03

I have had a PSR500 for about 9 years. No issues. Really enjoyed it. Now, I have found myself listening to it more and want to know if I am missing anything. I am sure that radio systems have improved the last decade. Should I upgrade? I am leaning towards the Uniden BCD436HP. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
No upgrade, the hardware is the limiting factor. I have the RS version (Pro 106) and it still does quite well, and I added a Pro 18 and added the Whistler upgrade when RS had the big clearance sale.

budevans

I have had a PSR500 for about 9 years. No issues. Really enjoyed it. Now, I have found myself listening to it more and want to know if I am missing anything. I am sure that radio systems have improved the last decade. Should I upgrade? I am leaning towards the Uniden BCD436HP. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
About the only things that you could gain from a BCD436HP is NXDN and DMR. You would have to pay Uniden an additional licensing fee to add each of those.

One additional note. If you are interested in getting NXDN & DMR, you might consider purchasing a Whistler TRX-1. It's basically the updated version of the PSR500. So the setup and programming is very similar to the PSR500. You can use Whistlers EzScan software to download your current PRS500 programming into the TRX-1.

FYI, If you are set on the BCD436HP, there will be a programming learning curve. But, the Uniden software does provide some programming features that EzScan doesn't have.

So you have a couple of good choices.

Last edited:

budevans

There's one thing I should have asked you. Do you monitor the Ohio MARCS P25 Simulcast Systems?
If you do and you don't have any Simulcast issues, then you should be good to go.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The issue I ran into is that the PSR-500 only does P25 Phase I. If you need P25 Phase II, you'll need a newer scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.