PSR500 v PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkantor

I have them both (actually a Pro-106, same as PSR-500) and honestly I can't tell! Even using the same antenna in the same position, I find performance varies at times. Since there are so many tweaks to settings for each, I suspect that in order to get real apples to apples, you would have to change all of the settings to be exactly the same. Each gets great reception, but at times one outperforms the other...I switch off based on what I feel like that day...old school control with a keyboard, or ease of use via iPod like controls.

safetyobc

I think the 500 does a much better job on VHF High, Airband and Mil-Air. 800 seems about the same to me. As far as battery life on the 800, I get 8 - 10 hours on a set of 2500 mAh batteries.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I miss the keypad for direct entry and edit functions. The rest of the features are great.

N8IAA

What does people think of no keypad? I heard the 800 can mute encrypted P25 traffic, but I don't know if I will like not having the keypad.

Love all the memory. Still not happy with the way you access through the MP3 player buttons. Does not lend to easy ops in the vehicle. Yes, it does mute the encrypted TGID's and still lets you see them. Nice feature. If you have 700MHz, Moto X2 TDMA in your area, it will work on it. The decode is really good, but it has a different sound than my 106/197/396XT scanners. When I talked to Nori, W6GRE, at a hamfest in November, I wasn't happy they didn't include a keypad. One more thing, I do like the size of the screen and the backlight on the radio.
HTH,
Larry

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
What does people think of no keypad? I heard the 800 can mute encrypted P25 traffic, but I don't know if I will like not having the keypad.

Forgot to mention, the encrypted noise can be blocked with no audio, a telephone busy signal, or will let you hear the encrypted noise. (Note: this doesn't mean decoded encryption folks, only noise like R2D2.)

I'm still beating the drum for other encryption blocking sounds than the telephone busy signal, unless Don sayas it can't be done because the whole firmware would need re-written or that it's a hardware conflict. :roll:

DonS

Forgot to mention, the encrypted noise can be blocked with no audio, a telephone busy signal, or will let you hear the encrypted noise. (Note: this doesn't mean decoded encryption folks, only noise like R2D2.)

I'm still beating the drum for other encryption blocking sounds than the telephone busy signal, unless Don sayas it can't be done because the whole firmware would need re-written or that it's a hardware conflict. :roll:

It would be a few firmware changes, but not "the whole firmware".

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I just decided to sell my 800 and bought a Pro-106 on ebay. The 800 was a huge disappointment, my 500 works much better and I don't see what was easy about the PSR-800 at all. Most annoying scanner since my old Regency HX2000, with the "crunchy" squelch.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Yes this is an old thread, however now with lots of user experience, unless you really need some of the -800 "features", the -500/PRO-106 works better for me and is much more flexible radio.

The ergonomics of the -800 such as its poor display that needs a backlight on virtually all the time are big turnoff's in for me.

Swipesy

And the 500/106 has some great features the 800 will never have.

Amen. We can only hope GRE comes to its senses and produces an updated comparable model to the 500/106 that is mobile friendly with a keypad and programmable without having to always use a PC.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I second that, im bad with a PC and sure would like a new digital H/H with a "KEY PAD" , sorry for shouting.....

woodpecker

I second that, im bad with a PC and sure would like a new digital H/H with a "KEY PAD" , sorry for shouting.....

Being good with a PC doesn't help much either with GREs so called "EZ" software, the PSR500 is a true hobbyist scanner with the flexibility you would expect, the PSR800 is an effort to get more sales from non hobbyists and the flexibilty has completely gone.

This means for the hobbyist the 800 is just awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.