psr500 weather /same code func

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had success with the weather priority feature??? I thought I programmed the specific county same codes in to the psr500 but no alerts so far and we have had some big t-storms in my area???

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
SAME codes only work if you dedicate the scanner to weather reception (i.e. no scanning.)

n2mdk

That's a step backwards. Even the PRO-2096 can handle SAME while scanning.

No it can't in order for SAME to work the radio needs to be in weather standby. There is no scanner made that can scan and have the SAME set to work. That would require 2 tuners.
It can scan and have weather priority set which will switch to the WX channel every 5 seconds but for SAME you must be in stby.

DonS

My PSR-600 switches to wx when alert from wx radio sounds, it switches for 60 seconds then resumes scanning.

Yes, that's "weather priority". The scanner periodically checks the programmed weather frequency, looking for (and only for) the 1050 Hz alert tone. It does not decode SAME data in that mode.

mikey60

That's a step backwards. Even the PRO-2096 can handle SAME while scanning.

The Pro-2096 (and the Pro-96) only look for the 1050Hz tone in priority mode, they do not look for the SAME data. Those scanners must be in SAME mode to decode the SAME data as well. No step backwards here.

Mike

btritch

Isn't there a test day and time for S.A.M.E.? I have no clue when and what time. -Oscar

There could be, I've never heard of that but I have found out there's a lot of things I haven't heard of so it's possible, I'm not saying it's not but it could but but I've not heard anything about that or like you said, when and where...

DonS

Event code "RWT" (Required Weekly Test) should appear just about everywhere each Wednesday, roughly between 11:00 and 12:00 local time.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
We had some t-storm activity in the northeast today,so I tried the standby mode for my county code and same event for t-storm warning and nothing!!!! I changed the settings to all off and just enabled the prority feature and it toned out every time on the regular 1050 alerts?? why?? Isnt same always transmitted when there is severe weather??

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Because no T-Storm warning was issued for your county. When you enter SAME, it only alerts on your county. 1050 alerts for everything in your entire area.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
S.A.M.E. weather alerts

yes,exactly!! A severe t-storm watch was issued for my county of nassau yesterday on the 1050 tone weather ststement. No SAME alert on the psr???

rdale

Premium Subscriber
If you heard the 1050 tone, that means you took it off weather standby, which means the SAME tones wouldn't activate.

tommyscan

Premium Subscriber
my point was that while in standby mode the same event for t-storm watch/warning did not activate!!! Even though we had a severe t-storm in my county?? It only worked in priority mode with all the same event codes/alpha turned off!!!

mikey60

my point was that while in standby mode the same event for t-storm watch/warning did not activate!!! Even though we had a severe t-storm in my county?? It only worked in priority mode with all the same event codes/alpha turned off!!!

I assume that you have verified that the correct SAME code for your county had been entered, and that the alert types were set correctly for those messages?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.