PSR800 Firmware update wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

I don't know about everyone else, but I think there are a few things that could be refined in the firmware. Put your ideas and wants in this thread and maybe they will become a reality.

For starters, I would love to see:

• The backlight come ON during the bootup sequence when the backlight setting is on NORMAL.
  • When looking at the MEMBERS of a SCAN SET (in the scanner) it would make more sense to show the active members FIRST in the list instead of having to scroll through the entire 200 scan lists to see which has the check mark.

Not sure if this is possible in firmware but change the way objects are stored so they can be SORTED to the users liking.

Any others?

Actually, to follow up on my second request, it would make more sense to display anything active first in the display listing. For instance, when I scroll down to scan sets, those that are active already should be first in line.

Last edited:

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is possible in firmware but change the way objects are stored so they can be SORTED to the users liking.

Well the software that you use to program it can be sorted on any column just be clicking on the top of the column. Also it has a utility to optimize the SD card so it will load and scan faster.

rockblock

• The backlight come ON during the bootup sequence when the backlight setting is on NORMAL.
  • When looking at the MEMBERS of a SCAN SET (in the scanner) it would make more sense to show the active members FIRST in the list instead of having to scroll through the entire 200 scan lists to see which has the check mark.
Any others?
Pls add these to the list:

• Add export feature in EZScan (csv file) - this is a major drawback for me - all other programs seem to have it, not sure why they didn't include it here
  • Add import feature in EZScan for trunked systems - currently exists only for conventional

rockblock

Huh? What are you talking about? If a trunked system is in the database it imports it. I currently have 23 of them all imported with EZScan.

Import from an external flat file that you can update & customize off-line (i.e. excel) - also there may frequencies that the database does not have available

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Import from an external flat file that you can update & customize off-line (i.e. excel) - also there may frequencies that the database does not have available

Well, you can always add such frequencies to the database so they will be available to others as well. Not that a .csv import function would be such a bad idea, though I see no need to change the firmware to do that, surely that would be an upgrade to the software.

JoeyC

Well the software that you use to program it can be sorted on any column just be clicking on the top of the column. Also it has a utility to optimize the SD card so it will load and scan faster.

I am not interested in the type of sorting the EZ SCAN software can do. What I want, is to line up Tac 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in order in the scanner when the talkgroups don't have sequential talkgroup IDs. Sorting forward and backwards on freqs or alpha tags is of no benefit to me if it doesn't save the orientation in the scanner when I am browsing objects.

Kel

800 firmware wish list

I would like to see a upgrade where we have the option like the 310 has for the display.Bold or normal font.Anybody else feel the same?

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Sorting

Yes the software sorts it but doesn't write it to the radio like that. It would be nice if you could sort the way you prefer and then write it back to the radio like that. The radio will not do this. So when you have something like XXX channel 1 2 3 if you did not enter them in order there is no way to put them in order later and write it to the radio.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Feature

It would be nice to have

* The ability to save a conventional P25 radio ID like you can with a trunked P25 Radio ID.
* The ability to sort frequencies inside the radio (Not in the software) The software method only sorts for your viewing. It does not write back to the radio with your selected sort.
* Activate the back light during a search
* The ability to see the trunked system frequencies in the radio like you can in the PSR 500.
* The ability to edit trunked system frequencies in the radio
* The ability to select a trunked frequency to output data to Pro-96 com
* The ability to add Spectrum Sweeper to a scanlist list we had in the PSR 500

I don't know about everyone else, but I think there are a few things that could be refined in the firmware. Put your ideas and wants in this thread and maybe they will become a reality.

For starters, I would love to see:

Any others?

Actually, to follow up on my second request, it would make more sense to display anything active first in the display listing. For instance, when I scroll down to scan sets, those that are active already should be first in line.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
I know its a longshot but I would love to see the IF out option on a channel by channel basis that way if you are following a system thats analog and provoice or have some mototrbo channels you would like to scan with the other channels you have enabled you could hear the analog channels and use a software package like dsd to pipe the discriminator audio out through the headphone jack only for those channels that need it. but like I said longshot!

Bob;)

Gilligan

Database Admin
PSR-800 Firmware Suggestions

I have just submitted the following ticket to GRE Support and would like to hear additional comments from the RR community on these firmware suggestions for the PSR-800. I will try to post any reply from GRE on the matter:

I have a few firmware suggestions that I'd like you to consider, and I would appreciate your feedback as to which may be feasible for a future update...

1) Signal Sweeper object that can be added to a scanlist
Useful for sweeping the nearby RF field while scanning known frequencies

2) Limit Search object that can be added to a scanlist
Useful for searching segments of frequencies while scanning known ones

3) Advanced Display options such as System ID & LTR LCN
The scanner already has the option to re-order LTR LCN, so it makes sense to
offer the user a way to view this, as well as Motorola/P25 system IDs

4) Ability to sort conventional channels (both scanner & software)
Useful for finding new freqs, where you would have a few consecutive channels
all of the same frequency and different tones, and the last one is on Tone Search
to discover new users on the same frequency

5) Ability to sort talkgroups (both scanner and software)
Useful for stepping through channels in a logical (ch 1, ch 2, ch 3) order to find
the one you're looking for very quickly (as opposed to binary ordering now).
Note: This has absolutely nothing to do with copy/paste functionality.

6) Addition/modification of a TSYS object on the fly (w/o software)
This would be useful for adding a scannable TRS if a new control channel is
discovered in the field; for example, finding a new LTR channel while travelling

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
I suppose this may be the only official reply I get from GRE:

Thank you for the suggestions. I can't promise any of them will be added but I'll pass them along for consideration.

Best Regards,
GRE Support Team

W2PMX

I wonder which waste basket they'll be "passed along" to. I'm not that familiar with the new GREs, I don't listen to any LCN-type systems and I rarely search out anything new, but all your suggestions sound good, as long as there's room in the scanner's memory for the code to implement them.

Gilligan

Database Admin
To amend suggestion # 3, just an option to show detailed system info for any control channel, whether programmed in or in search/tune/sweep mode, would do just fine. Basically the same as if you paused on one of those frequencies/channels with an older GRE-made radio. If the idea is not to confuse novice monitors, just don't include it in the Simply Display mode...

Gilligan

Database Admin
Another feature that should be implemented is the ability to display PL/DPL tones and NAC codes upon playback for channels that have Tone/NAC Search enabled.

Gilligan

Database Admin
PSR-800 Scanning/Searching/Sweeping Simultaneously

I was thinking that the PSR-800 doesn't allow you to scan conventional frequencies or trunked systems while also using Limit/Service Search or Signal Sweeper. This may well be true, however a thought occurred to me that may provide a temporary workaround until a firmware update fixes this...

If you have conventional channels tagged as Priority, and Priority is enabled via the main menu, will the scanner still scan the priority channels while Signal Sweeper or Limit/Service Search is running? If so, will it also work for trunked talkgroups tagged as Priority?

This may or may not work, since my guess is that Priority only works if the "objects" that are tagged as priority are scanned within an active scanlist, which would not be "active" during searching/sweeping...

mikey60

I was thinking that the PSR-800 doesn't allow you to scan conventional frequencies or trunked systems while also using Limit/Service Search or Signal Sweeper. This may well be true, however a thought occurred to me that may provide a temporary workaround until a firmware update fixes this...

If you have conventional channels tagged as Priority, and Priority is enabled via the main menu, will the scanner still scan the priority channels while Signal Sweeper or Limit/Service Search is running? If so, will it also work for trunked talkgroups tagged as Priority?

This may or may not work, since my guess is that Priority only works if the "objects" that are tagged as priority are scanned within an active scanlist, which would not be "active" during searching/sweeping...

No, this would not work. Priority objects are only checked when in Scan mode.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.