PSR800 Firmware update wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Seems like it would be much easier to simply set up different system objects with 1 site each... That way, you would only have 1 V-scanner to deal with.

rwier

Seems like it would be much easier to simply set up different system objects with 1 site each... That way, you would only have 1 V-scanner to deal with.

Hi Gilligan,

I am still experimenting and your post has my attention. My radio reception problems are very location/System/radio dependent. Hopefully RR member "Arizona_Scanner" will peruse your comments and advise me on exact methods. He listens to the same System (has the same problems), and maybe has access to the 800, or at least a very good understanding of the 800.

I would need step-by-step instructions ("much easier to simply set up" won't work for me, lol) ) for the RWC System, Maricopa Co., Arizona. Thanks for the advice/tip.

Gilligan

Database Admin
It's really just as simple as setting up identical TSYS objects (systems) with different system frequencies. Just use the different site frequencies for each TSYS object and then label the name of each TSYS as the System & Site Name. Like this:

If you're listening to a multi-site system, Some County TRS
Site 1: 856.0125 857.0125 858.0125
Site 2: 866.0125 867.0125 868.0125

Set up 2 TSYS objects, each w/ identical talkgroups:
TSYS 1: Name is "Some Co Site 1", Site 1's frequencies
TSYS 2: Name is "Some Co Site 2", Site 2's frequencies

Then just put the different TSYS objects into different scanlists, and when you travel from area to area, choose whichever scanlist includes the site you want to listen to. That's it!

VE3RADIO

Well, you can always add such frequencies to the database so they will be available to others as well. Not that a .csv import function would be such a bad idea, though I see no need to change the firmware to do that, surely that would be an upgrade to the software.

Not always. Perhaps he does not want the frequency to be public knowledge?

Drafin

Not always. Perhaps he does not want the frequency to be public knowledge?

Well if they are licensed frequencies they are already public knowledge through a FCC ULS search and it's just a matter of time before they will be added by someone.

But to stay on topic, I'd like the ability to associate multiple TGIDs to different trunked sites (the way Uniden does it) instead of having many, MANY sites with the exact same TGIDs. When and if this is ever implemented I'll purchase an 800 on that day! I know that memory is not a problem but it makes for more streamlined scanning not to have to scan all the TGIDs in multiple sites.

Draf

rwier

It's really just as simple as setting up identical TSYS objects (systems) with different system frequencies. Just use the different site frequencies for each TSYS object and then label the name of each TSYS as the System & Site Name. Like this:

If you're listening to a multi-site system, Some County TRS
Site 1: 856.0125 857.0125 858.0125
Site 2: 866.0125 867.0125 868.0125

Set up 2 TSYS objects, each w/ identical talkgroups:
TSYS 1: Name is "Some Co Site 1", Site 1's frequencies
TSYS 2: Name is "Some Co Site 2", Site 2's frequencies

Then just put the different TSYS objects into different scanlists, and when you travel from area to area, choose whichever scanlist includes the site you want to listen to. That's it!

Gilligan! You just knocked it out of the park! At first I was overwhelmed and not happy with you for using the terms TSYS, TRS (I had no idea what they meant). But I went ahead and blindly clicked on the "Trunked Radio Systems" tab. I scanned all around the page trying to make some sense of your words. My eyes finally locked on the big, bold, heading at the top of the page. Trunked Radio Systems, damn, that's what TRS's are, lol. I've probably spent 100 hours on this page, but the abbreviation never took. The rest was "much easier to simply set up", as you advised.

I put the same TG's in both TRS's with each having just one site, it being different from the other. I assigned each of the two TRS's to separate ScanLists. I loaded the radio and scanned both scanlists (both sites) at once. I watched the display thinking I would try to keep mental score on which site was working best. Only one ScanList (site) had any action, but it was plenty (no degrading of reception resulted from my fiddling, lol).

After mulling over this for a bit, I decided to try the "Wildcard" thingy on the dead site. Shazam, the site was not dead! Heavy traffic from a different agency (I would like to use names here for Sites, Agencies, TRS's, TG's, etc., but i think the mod's would get mad and boot me over to the Arizona Forum, lol).

Up until a couple of weeks ago, this Shazam site was my fav for the agency using my double entered TG ID's. Now nothing. What a stunning discovery. Also my "old site" was transmitting on a blue alternate CC. Maybe Phoenix (oops) is going through some radio birth throes, lol.

Anyway, thanks much for the advice. This new knowledge (for me) has made the 800 an even more desirable scanner!

Last edited:

luminoxs

Here are somethings that I would like to see. If the PSR-800 already capabile of this, I would like to know. If I have repeated anyone else s suggestions, consider them restatements that I would like to see/have.

1, The ability to add a "Quick Frequency" via the keypad
a) Be able to do a one frequency trunking like other scanners
b) Be able to add/save that frequency into a scan list
c) Be able to do IF Out PC/IF CCDump and see CC data over the LCD like other scanners

2. The abilty to do a quick replay of recorded traffic from the "scan screen"
3. The ability to open or close (toggle TGs (trunk only saved TG or trunk all)) like other scanners and not miss out on other/new TGs that aren't already programmed.
4. Be able to edit frequencies/systems under object edit
5. Have separate light timers/options for keypad light and LCD light
6. Have Band scope and RF power plot (like on the HP1)
7. Be able to save the configuration from the scanner
8. Have a mode where it will record only new TGs on a system

Like I said, if any of these can be done, I would like to know.

luminoxs

I forgot one more thing...

9. Force trunk systems that has an "X" next to their name without having to create it from scratch.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Analyze control channel mode like the 500,
STAT mode option, global LED on/off option, hit counts.

10-75

Feed Provider
Volume on Knob and Squelch on keypad.

I would love to see the volume moved to the knob and the squelch to the keypad or at least the option to switch between the two. It it me or is the present implementation stupid?

Gilligan

Database Admin
I would much rather have a digital squelch control (as it's rarely touched) and have the volume on the top of the radio, quickly accessible.

rwier

Pls add these to the list:..................Add export feature in EZScan ......./QUOTE]

I am only now (I'm well into my second 800, lol) starting to believe that I cannot zip up a Scan List, or a Scan Set, and send it out as an "assistance" attachment to someone via email or PM. Where are these files located on my computer? I never seem to see a "Save As" option for anything? Wish someone would tell me I am wrong. Send the actual chip by USPS, is that the only solution? Would that even work? It's unbelievable!

ResQguy

Meh
Pls add these to the list:..................Add export feature in EZScan ......./QUOTE]

I am only now (I'm well into my second 800, lol) starting to believe that I cannot zip up a Scan List, or a Scan Set, and send it out as an "assistance" attachment to someone via email or PM. Where are these files located on my computer? I never seem to see a "Save As" option for anything? Wish someone would tell me I am wrong. Send the actual chip by USPS, is that the only solution? Would that even work? It's unbelievable!

Check your "my documents" for a folder named "EZ Scan Digital". The CDAT files are your V folders.

DonS

Check your "my documents" for a folder named "EZ Scan Digital". The CDAT files are your V folders.

Exactly.

In "My Documents", there should be a folder named "EZ Scan Digital". Within that folder there should be:
* A "CDAT" folder. This is the main (non-V-Scanner) programming.
* Zero or more "CDAT_VS.nnn" folders. Each of these is a V-Scanner folder.

To send someone else your configuration data, ZIP up an entire folder. Since a single "object" (TGRP, TSYS, CONV) is represented across multiple files, I don't recommend trying to send just one or two files from the desired folder.

10-75

Feed Provider
Charge batteries while unit is on!

I don't know if this is possible through the firmware or it is a hardware issue but I would like the radio to charge the batteries with the unit on.... Every scanner I own or have owned (many) recharged the batteries with the unit on or off. I for the life of me, can't understand why this one doesn't?????? With the advent of numerous "smart" charging IC's for NiMh batteries, I don't know what the problem is in implementing charging the batteries with the unit on.... I have only had this radio a week but I am beginning to feel I made a mistake..... Constantly swapping out the batteries is not a viable option for me......:mad:

rwier

exactly.

In "my documents", there should be a folder named "ez scan digital". Within that folder there should be:
* a "cdat" folder. This is the main (non-v-scanner) programming.
* zero or more "cdat_vs.nnn" folders. Each of these is a v-scanner folder.

To send someone else your configuration data, zip up an entire folder. Since a single "object" (tgrp, tsys, conv) is represented across multiple files, i don't recommend trying to send just one or two files from the desired folder.

thank you sir!!!!!!!!!

rwier

My last "confession of ignorance" post worked out so great (thanks to a couple of true experts) that I will throw another one out there!

EZScan Software
General Settings tab (low left)
Scanlist Control box

Scenario: 117 Scanlists, renamed to fit their contents. Scanlist 4 (renamed, of course) contains the working data for two small cities/towns. Let's say that I would like to separate them into 2 Scanlists, but keep them together as Scanlist 4 and 5 (both renamed, of course).

A simple solution would be an "INSERT" command, that opened a space and moved the other Scanlists down a notch. Then change the Scanlist number on the desired Objects/Channels and rename 2 Scanlists. With a little practice this operation could be completed in less than a minute, maybe even 30 seconds by a skilled typist.

Right now I hesitate to start a operation of this kind because I can't see a solution that takes less than several hours (and a LOT of chances for lasting errors).

Hit me again, EXPERTS (no sarcasm)!!!!

Thanks Again,
Rob

rwier

Hi, DonS and ResQguy!!

I just lost my smile (not your fault). Did the whole thing, a new V-S folder (CDAT_VS>002) for a far away place, zipped it up for attachment to the RR Forum post, and was destroyed by the message:

"Your file of 307.1 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 195.3 KB for this filetype."

What a disappointing moment, to say the least! Well, I still know more than I did.

Thanks again, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.