PSR800 Firmware update wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

There should be no problem hooking this up via an andriod phone and a USB bluetooth wireless link, why on earth won't GRE provide this info?

Android phone: USB "device"
PSR-800: USB "device"

USB: "Devices" only connect to "hosts". "Devices" do not connect to "devices".

What "USB bluetooth wireless link" would you put between the phone and scanner?\

The PSR-800 does not have a serial port. (I stress this only because you mentioned such a connection with a 396XT above - and I presume you're using that scanner's serial port).

What "info" would you like from GRE? (Keeping in mind that they're probably not going to give you a schematic or source code.)

ChargerSRT8

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is a firmware or software bug, but dashes "-" in EZ Scan become underscores "_" on the scanner display. It would be nice to have this corrected.

woodpecker

If you're on a base antenna at a fixed location, just select additional "locations". On the PSR-800, such location imports are additive.

For example, I sometimes travel between Franktown, CO (Douglas county) and Red Feather Lakes, CO (Larimer county). The first time I made that trip, I did a few imports into the same (default) folder on the PSR-800: I imported the several counties that I'd be crossing. During the trip, I heard the radio traffic for all of those areas.

At home, I can hear most of Douglas county and a good part of Elbert county. I just do a couple of imports... ZIP Code 80116 followed by Elizabeth, CO.

That is nowhere near as flexible as just changing a range setting.

I wasn't aware that the HP-1 handled location-based scanning, from the included RRDB data, outside of North America. On my HP-1, I cannot figure out how to enter a location in England.

I didn't say it did use RRDB data for that, I was pointing out the differences in location based scanning on these scanners, the HP1 is so flexible you can create your own favorites and use it anywhere on the planet, save you own locations and use a GPS etc

We're still comparing the PSR-800's "piss poor" location based scanning to the HP-1, right? If so, why are we discussing the United Kingdom?

I am pointing out the differences, the HP1 is far more flexible and I haven't found it buggy like EZScan.

You're clearly a GRE fan, I am a fan of neither brand, the HP1 (IMHO) is far superior in location based scanning based on its features and user interface.

On the flip side the HP1 has no close call or X2 TDMA, but for me the implementation of the spectrum sweeper in the 800 has made it a worthless feature, it cannot be used as an object in a scan list and you cannot set a maximum hold time when using it.

Whilst the 800 is a fine piece of hardware, its poor firmware and flexibility is a total disappointment.

woodpecker

Android phone: USB "device"
PSR-800: USB "device"

USB: "Devices" only connect to "hosts". "Devices" do not connect to "devices".

What "USB bluetooth wireless link" would you put between the phone and scanner?\

The PSR-800 does not have a serial port. (I stress this only because you mentioned such a connection with a 396XT above - and I presume you're using that scanner's serial port).

What "info" would you like from GRE? (Keeping in mind that they're probably not going to give you a schematic or source code.)

Yes I know I cannot connect to it directly as a serial port, it may end up being too complex to try and do it, as I said I am only trying to do this becuase the 800 cannot be left alone, unchecked, in sweeper mode for fear it being stuck on a carrier for hours.

I asked GRE for the control protocol and told them the reason, they told me to email Raj, but Raj didn't even bother to reply.

I don't want anything more than was printed in the 500 manual, if its the same, fine, GRE could have just said that!

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
I too would have liked to see a "range" feature on the GRE implementation of location based scanning, but maybe a detailed description of how the polygon method works would help in understanding why DonS and GRE feel that this method of "grabbing" freqs from the database is better. I know that when I punch in my city name and pull aircraft frequencies I grab a few Indianapolis ARTCC freqs that are from RCAGs that are clearly not within my receiving range.

Larryfire26

Premium Subscriber
Some extra firmware fixes

1. Would love to see the ability to move conventional frequencies up and down in the scan list easily .
2. Add the ability to decode MDC-1200 radio ID
3. Better squelch control, or a default setting in software.
4. A much better antenna!!!!!!
5. Much less confusing Attenuation How about all defaults set to OFF in software!
6. When using windows 7 64 Bit the software always says not responding then comes back to life! How about a fix for that!

Thanks

Gilligan

Database Admin
A way to move "objects" up and down in the software (like holding Control w/ up/down arrows)

Under scanner settings, light and sound options moved to the top of the list

mhudes

Not sure if this is a want. . .or I just can't find it

Would be nice to see channel frequency when viewing scanlists on PC. Maybe I'm missing this, but I don't want to enter duplicates as I'm entering Ham Radio repeaters.

ResQguy

Meh
I would like to eliminate the "default" scanlist completely. If I forget to untick it, and then go loading 199 systems (one each) in the remaining scanlists- I will also have a huge 200th scanlist that contains 199 systems!

Also, if there were a keypad lock- maybe something that required holding two keys at the same time to enable/disable, that would be great. Until then I use the 'first press ignore' feature to prevent accidents.

Soundman

I am think of doing a trade for a bcd 996xlt for a PSR800 because my city is doing a update with the new X2 TDMA .Will thy be doing more updates that uniden has not been doing ? Or will you have to buy a new scanner like uniden is saying.

a388sig2

A way to move "objects" up and down in the software (like holding Control w/ up/down arrows)

Under scanner settings, light and sound options moved to the top of the list

Agreed. Additionally I'd like the ability to move Scanlists in "General Settings."

ResQguy

Meh
GRE recently said the 800 doesn't do the X2 TDMA after all. There was a system came online in Cal and the 800 didn't decode it or whatever.

No, they said Phase2. It does X2 wonderfully.

GRE said:
At this time we don't know if the PSR-800 will be able to decode true P25 Phase II voice or not. We won't really know for certain until a true Phase II system is on the air and we are able to determine exactly what will be needed to decode the signal.

Best Regards,
GRE Support Team.

Last edited:

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone

AMEN!

Actually I would like to see that implemented is the software for *BOTH* the PSR-700 & PSR-800! Especially in the `Conventional Frequencies' and the `Scanlists' though it would also be nice to have it available under the Trunked Radio Systems for the `Talk Groups' not just the Site Details `Frequencies' `tab?'.

I'd also like to be able to see all the same headings available under `Convention Systems' and under the `Trunked Radio Systems' `Talk Group Details' visible and changeable under the `Scanlists' `Tab' so one can be able to quickly edit something there rather than having to constantly switch `Tabs' all the time just to make a few edits.

Soundman

I need some help I live in Charlotte N,C.I have a bcd 996xlt .I have been tested it with this stupped p25 system that thy are say thy are going to switch over to .Thy say it Project 25 Phase I (FDMA) but my scanner is giving me some much problems .I am think of just selling it and getting a PSR-800 . Will this be updates with new X2 TDMA and other update our will I have to buy another scanner like uniden says we do .

Last edited:

10-75

Feed Provider
Ability to adjust DSP and possibly site decode settings "real time"

I think it would be a huge improvement to add the ability to adjust the DSP and site decode settings "real time". I, as well as many other here can tell you that the "stock values" for decoding a P25 Digital system usually don't work and trying to find the correct values using the present method is a daunting process. The ability to make adjustments on-the fly would greatly simplify tuning a radio to a particular system.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I think it would be a huge improvement to add the ability to adjust the DSP and site decode settings "real time". I, as well as many other here can tell you that the "stock values" for decoding a P25 Digital system usually don't work and trying to find the correct values using the present method is a daunting process. The ability to make adjustments on-the fly would greatly simplify tuning a radio to a particular system.

Unfortunately, whilst having that ability *might* be nice, I've got this feeling that the Advanced DSP Settings that are on the `Advanced Features' `Tab' are probably all we have. I'm not going to be surprised if the response to doing what you are asking for will be that there isn't really any way it can be done this `time around' but, they might consider it in the next model if there is enough of a use to have it. (How about it, Don, does that sound about right?)

10-75

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, whilst having that ability *might* be nice, I've got this feeling that the Advanced DSP Settings that are on the `Advanced Features' `Tab' are probably all we have. I'm not going to be surprised if the response to doing what you are asking for will be that there isn't really any way it can be done this `time around' but, they might consider it in the next model if there is enough of a use to have it. (How about it, Don, does that sound about right?)

I agree with you as when you presently make changes, you are saving them to SD card which the 800's microprocessor reads and runs with when it boots up. If it can't be done this time around, they need to do it next time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.