PSR800 LCD display turning black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTPoperator

Premium Subscriber
I'm the proud and happy owner of Serial # 2057 psr800. Son is a one year police officer and wife listens to (almost) every trunked 800 digital transmisison. :)
I have the (normal) face peeling problem that I'm OK with.
My problem is the LCD display is turning black at the bottom. The blacked out portion seems to be increasing in size and is the shape of a half moon. It is to the point I can't read the bottom line of characters. It does not matter if batteries are fresh or almost dead.
I could not find this same complaint after a lenghty search.
Any tips before I call the factory.
Thanks.

dxradio2003

Lcd

Hi,

My experience: once that happens, a trip to the factory for display replacement is the only solution that I know of. Usually indicates a failure of the display panel.

---dxradio

tampatracker

I had that happen to me. It turns out it was a strip of black masking tape that was working it's way from the bottom of the screen to the top. Rather than send mine in for repairs I decided to try the method for opening the scanner myself with the tutelage of this link http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/215875-inside-psr-800-dust-removal.html and simply pushed the tape down to the bottom of the screen. It turned out ok. If you choose to go this route make sure you keep the ribbon cable from detaching, and if it does just reinsert it into the receptacle. Be aware though that doing this will void your warranty, but if its done correctly and all the screws are replaced properly there would be no way to tell that any work had been done to begin with! Good luck with whatever your choice is....T.T.

WTPoperator

Premium Subscriber
I had that happen to me. It turns out it was a strip of black masking tape that was working it's way from the bottom of the screen to the top. Rather than send mine in for repairs I decided to try the method for opening the scanner myself with the tutelage of this link http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/215875-inside-psr-800-dust-removal.html and simply pushed the tape down to the bottom of the screen. It turned out ok. If you choose to go this route make sure you keep the ribbon cable from detaching, and if it does just reinsert it into the receptacle. Be aware though that doing this will void your warranty, but if its done correctly and all the screws are replaced properly there would be no way to tell that any work had been done to begin with! Good luck with whatever your choice is....T.T.

TT, You are correct. This morning I placed the radio under a bright LED light and can clearly see the tape.
Thanks TT

robschonk

TT, You are correct. This morning I placed the radio under a bright LED light and can clearly see the tape.
Thanks TT

I've fixed it myself too. The tape is like nylon ribbon, with duct tape sticky on it. Just disassemble it per instructions, and relocate tape. Be careful of that little ribbon tape. I dislodged it, and took awhile to figure how it went back together.

Cleaning the PSR-800 LCD Display - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.