PSR800 too quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokerf00l

The scanner has always been intermittent, have to reload channels constantly. Now I only seem to pick up analog transmissions. Any thoughts?

JoeyC

Yep, too many variables.

Bad card?
Poor antenna system? (quiet?)
Back connections to speaker? (quiet?)

I've had this scanner for a couple years, and often don't turn it on for weeks at a time. Its never had to be reloaded to hear anything.

pokerf00l

I have replaced the memory card and antenna a long time ago. I recently took a trip to another county where the sheriff dept is talking constantly, never heard a word. Reloaded the scan list and it worked for a while.
The scanner will look like it is scanning but when you try to change any setting (volume) nothing responds. Have to remove and replace a battery even though it is connected to AC power.

CVASSB

You may need to upload the firmware from a different computer. That happened to me,and things were fine after I uploaded the firmware from my sisters computer. After that I could hear digital frequencies,and it was a big relief that I had found the problem. I have a up to date computer now. Good luck.

Last edited:

pokerf00l

upgrade

boot ver f1.0
appl ver u1.8
When I go into the firmware upgrade mode the scanner and PC don't see each other. When I copy scan lists to the scanner it works.

JackdAnderson

Pokerf00l, I have had that happen a few time's and is was always related to the mem card. It happens for me when I unplug it or plug it in without turning it off first. I just reprogram the card and it fixes it.

just my 2 cents.

pokerf00l

PSR800

I reloaded the memory card from different computer late yesterday, scanner had full charge. Scanner is scanning but never sees a channel. it seems to freeze up all controls, cant get volume to move up or down and cant power radio off, I have to remove battery to power down. All of these issues have been happening for awhile. It has become an expensive paper weight. I return the radio after only one month to GRE in CA for repair as it was under warranty at the time, they had it for about 3 weeks and reported no problems with radio.but we still have same problems. After 2 years it is really frustrating.

JackdAnderson

That is exactly what happens with mine when the card gets corrupted. If you are just reloading the scanner files that wont work. You have to use the prepare scanner memory/SD card for use option. Hope this helps.

pokerf00l

quiet

I just completed the prepare SD for first use and reloaded everything. Waiting to see.

AuntEnvy

It sounds like you may want to get yourself a new SD card, and/or reload your software and make sure everything is up to date etc.

Also make sure you don't remove/insert the card unless it is off. I always turn it off and unplug it before I do anything with the card. I believe it says so in the manual so you probably should. I have heard others on here say they have not done it that way and haven't had a problem, so who knows...

pokerf00l

quiet

This is my 3rd 2 GB SD card. I went through the format and loading process with each of the 2 replacements. I have uninstalled, downloaded and installed the GRECOM EZ scan software multiple times. I load my V folder from archive as there are a lot of analog freq's I still need.
Auntenvy, you are correct it is not finding the digital signals.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
This is my 3rd 2 GB SD card. I went through the format and loading process with each of the 2 replacements. I have uninstalled, downloaded and installed the GRECOM EZ scan software multiple times. I load my V folder from archive as there are a lot of analog freq's I still need.
Auntenvy, you are correct it is not finding the digital signals.

If the new SD card and reload don't work, I recommend (assuming it's still possible) to reinstall the CPU and DSP firmware through EZ Scan.

pokerf00l

quiet

DSP firmware is up to date. CPU firmware attempt to upgrade and the error box comes up " could not open scanner port. Error code: port does not exist!" Made several attempts with the same results. CPU firmware is 1.0 and the latest shows to be 1.8.

troymail

Silent Key
DSP firmware is up to date. CPU firmware attempt to upgrade and the error box comes up " could not open scanner port. Error code: port does not exist!" Made several attempts with the same results. CPU firmware is 1.0 and the latest shows to be 1.8.

Regardless of the versions and how current I would still reinstall them. The problem you're reporting is a PC issue you'll need to resolve first.

I'll go out on a limb and say that once you reinstall the CPU/DSP things will work better.....

pokerf00l

SD card

I use Sandisk cards, 2 GB. Last night I plugged the card into my PC and deleted all files and folders. I then went back to the scanner and prepared the card for first use. Then installed everything again. The scan list I used was from an archive last year that worked well. Still only getting analog signals. I am wondering if the digital signaling processors are failing to enable.

troymail

Silent Key
I use Sandisk cards, 2 GB. Last night I plugged the card into my PC and deleted all files and folders. I then went back to the scanner and prepared the card for first use. Then installed everything again. The scan list I used was from an archive last year that worked well. Still only getting analog signals. I am wondering if the digital signaling processors are failing to enable.

Please try to reinstall the CPU and DSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.