PSR800 Wildcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Has anyone had a system where wildcards aren't "allowed"?

I've noticed that certain parts of a system I've imported won't let me set wildcards, whereas other departments in the same system will.

Is that an indication that no other additions will be made or is it just a glitch with something on my end?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Has anyone had a system where wildcards aren't "allowed"?

I've noticed that certain parts of a system I've imported won't let me set wildcards, whereas other departments in the same system will.

Is that an indication that no other additions will be made or is it just a glitch with something on my end?

A group wildcard or a private wildcard can only be added once per system.

Group Wildcard: play audio for all talkgroups on the system
Private Wildcard: play audio traffic for user-to-user / radio-to-radio communications

So you can have one GW and one PW per system, no more.

Mike

AuntEnvy

Ahhh... I see

A group wildcard or a private wildcard can only be added once per system.

Group Wildcard: play audio for all talkgroups on the system
Private Wildcard: play audio traffic for user-to-user / radio-to-radio communications

So you can have one GW and one PW per system, no more.

Mike

So you have to pick and choose when and where you want to search/find new groups eh...?

Well that kinda stinks. :(

So if you have a system with several different entities utilizing it you can only apply the wildcard to one entity at a time?

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
So you have to pick and choose when and where you want to search/find new groups eh...?

Well that kinda stinks. :(

So if you have a system with several different entities utilizing it you can only apply the wildcard to one entity at a time?

The group wildcard can be used for multiple entities. It will find any talkgroups that are not programmed into you scanner (whether locked out or not) and display them. Then you have the option of storing the talkgroup, assigning a scanlist, etc (or locking it out-skipping on the 800-so you don't hear it again).

So if you're searching for new talkgroup IDs then use the group wildcard for the entire system and it will find them.

Works like a charm for me, unfortunately most of the new ones I am finding are encrypted.

AuntEnvy

The group wildcard can be used for multiple entities. It will find any talkgroups that are not programmed into you scanner (whether locked out or not) and display them. Then you have the option of storing the talkgroup, assigning a scanlist, etc (or locking it out-skipping on the 800-so you don't hear it again).

So if you're searching for new talkgroup IDs then use the group wildcard for the entire system and it will find them.

Works like a charm for me, unfortunately most of the new ones I am finding are encrypted.

I understand how it works and I've been utilizing it like a charm as you say. ;)

I just wanted to have wildcards for every entity in the system.

Am I explaining that right...?

For instance, if I select wildcards for a fire group in a system, I can't select WC for the police group? Or are you saying it still works in the system as a whole but only shows it listed in one particular group at a time?

troymail

Silent Key
Fire, police, public works, etc. are simply groups of USERs of a trunked "system". These users have defined talkgroups that are programmed in their radios. The trunked "system" has many talkgroups.

A wildcard simply allows you (the scanner user) to find previously unidentified talkgroups on the trunked "system" (talkgroups that are not posted on RadioReference).

Think of your programming of known talkgroups as a "filter" in your scanner. Only those talkgroup programmed pass through the "filter" and be heard. Anything not known/programmed will be blocked from being heard on your scanner.

A wildcard object is essentially saying "let me hear everything (talkgroup or radio ID) the trunked system knows about - even the stuff I haven't programmed in my scanner".

In your scanner, a trunked "system" can only be programmed with ONE talkgroup wildcard and ONE PRIVATE wildcard. However, these wildcard objects can be assigned to 1 or more of your scanlists. That means, you can create a talkgroup wildcard and assign it to a FIRE scanlist, POLICE scanlist (and others - even all) at the same time.

There is at least one possible exception but that goes into advanced/specialized programming (duplicating systems) - but that results effectively on creating two systems.

AuntEnvy

That's what I thought. Thank you for a better understanding. I must not be explaining it correctly or I'm not reading/understanding the replies correctly.

My software (EZSCAN) will only list a WC selection for one set of TG's in a system at a time.

Maybe that has no bearing on whether it's finding any and all TG's on the entire system, but I assumed it to mean that it would only be finding new TG's for the particular group/scan list it's attached to.

Was that explained any better...?

troymail

Silent Key
That's what I thought. Thank you for a better understanding. I must not be explaining it correctly or I'm not reading/understanding the replies correctly.

My software (EZSCAN) will only list a WC selection for one set of TG's in a system at a time.

Maybe that has no bearing on whether it's finding any and all TG's on the entire system, but I assumed it to mean that it would only be finding new TG's for the particular group/scan list it's attached to.

Was that explained any better...?

The wildcard is being applied against the trunked system as a whole -- it has nothing to do with specific user groups/scanlists other than that you can assign that one wildcard object to any or all of your scanlists.

Status
Not open for further replies.