PSRedit won't see scanner plugged directly into PC using provided USB cable (WS1040)

pedegogist

I received my Whistler WS 1040 yesterday and followed the instructions to attempt to set it up to hear my local (Nash, Edgecombe, and Wilson counties NC) agencies along with the available state agencies using PSRedit (PSR-500). Plugged directly into the motherboard of my pc (not into a USB hub as they can cause signal loss) and powered on the program does not see the scanner to be able to upload the frequencies. Following the help guides from Whistler and PSRedit have not provided answers as to why the scanner would not be found. Any help would be appreciated.

Running Windows 10 22H2 build 19045.2364 on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz with 32 GB of RAM.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

pedegogist

I allowed the computer to install the driver it found for the cable, have removed that and re-installed, and also installed the driver found at the link you provided (just now tried it again), PSRedit still does not find the scanner on any of the 256 available com ports when scanning. PC says scanner cable is plugged into com 3, but setting PSRedit to use that port yields a timeout error when attempting to upload frequencies and settings. I do get flashes from the green LED on the cable when attempting to upload but nothing else. Scanner is on with brand new batteries installed yesterday.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Make sure the cable is plugged into the PC/IF jack on the side, not the headphone jack on top. Been there done that with a PRO-106 in a moment of refried confusion.

pedegogist

I have installed the CDM20830_setup.exe driver, the other file on the page he linked to is a firmware update that is not needed as I have checked the installed firmware on the unit per the instructions given at the top of the the page and it matches the one available for download. My ISP shouldn't have any relevance to the discussion as they do not block my access to any sites or downloads and my download speed of 200 Mb/s should be plenty fast. I can't think of any other reason why the ISP I use would matter.

Cable has been plugged into the PC/IF port for each attempt.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Under the General Configuration tab, you can try checking the box to Add extra delay when uploading configuration. If your cable has a mono adapter on the end, remove it. The WS1040 requires a TRS stereo plug.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Make sure its pushed all the way in as I've found if in ANYWAY not fully in, it wont work. Sometimes it might take a little force at times.

Under 'Configuration' I use Direct,.
The add delay I've tried it before it just slows things down, haven't seen it do much more than that.

Ive programmed a LOT of those radio types. I will say I have seen two so far that would not work. Since they were brand new they got a replacement one. I'm guessing without opening it up which I would have if it was mine or out of warranty, is maybe the wiring to the PC/IF jack wasnt connected properly?

Far as not connecting and drivers, if you had no drivers installed PSREdit will put up a popup saying they weren't installed. So sounds like you have em installed.

TAbirdman

It wasn't really clear but is the WS1040 turned on? It needs to be for programming.