PSRS Tacoma area PD unit designations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpm3

Listening to the PSRS system on the Tacoma South and North talkgroups I often hear calls to units referred to as (for example): "Paul", "Tom", etc. I THINK I have figured out that "Harbor" is Gig Harbor, "Union" is University Place. But the others are something of a mystery to me. Is there a Radio Reference wiki reference that might spell out all the unit designations or some other online resource that might provide some assistance for me?

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I moved away 3 years ago, but as i remember , the main group of identifiers in TPD were based on the shift times and the patrol district ie day/swing/late swing and graveyard accompanied with the district number. Some that I remember if the have not changed them:
david = detectives
tom = traffic
ocean = off duty unit e/r home or to work accompanied with badge #
mary = motorcycles
adam = administration
ida = ident + badge #
edward = communications officer
k-9 + unit # = dog
william = school patrol
nora = narcotics
i have heard Sam units but i can’t remember what they are, maybe an oddball shift
Paul, lincoln, frank and union are the shifts as stated above (I think.)
harbor is not gig harbor as gig harbor pd is dispatched on ss911 sheriff west as is university place Which are both in the county. Tacoma now has a police boat so i would guess harbor is them, and more than likely as they are fairly active now with the civil unrest and military victory ships docked on Schuster Parkway.
Tacoma was starting to dispatch for Fife pd when i moved but there was talk of moving them to ss911 sheriff east so your guess is as good as mine. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
OK DPM, just conferred with a retired TPD Buddy of mine and here you go:
adam-admin
david-detectives
edward= communications
frank-dayshift patrol
harbor- police boat
henry-graveyard 2 man car
ida- ident
king- chaplains
lincoln-swing shift 2 man car
mary-traffic motorcycles
nora-narcotics (you would only hear one on north or south if responding to help a patrol unit on a hot call)
ocean- off duty (all TPD officers have their assigned portable 24/7)
paul- swing shift 1 man car
robert-private security guards (only allowed to use TPD radio freq to call for help)
sam-patrol sergeants
tom- traffic + their sergeant & Leutenant
union-graveyard 2 man car
victor-vice
william-school patrol, port police, mall security
zebra-humane society

for example frank-21 would be a dayshift,district 2, first car, frank-22 would be dayshift,district 2 second car assignged to district 2 and so on. He said some districts can have 5 cars out ie. frank 21,22,23,24,25

also note the routinely hold cars over into the next shift on OT so you could hear a day car at 7pm for example
swings are 2-10, 3-11 and 4-12

im800mhz

OK DPM, just conferred with a retired TPD Buddy of mine and here you go:
adam-admin
david-detectives
edward= communications
frank-dayshift patrol
harbor- police boat
henry-graveyard 2 man car
ida- ident
king- chaplains
lincoln-swing shift 2 man car
mary-traffic motorcycles
nora-narcotics (you would only hear one on north or south if responding to help a patrol unit on a hot call)
ocean- off duty (all TPD officers have their assigned portable 24/7)
paul- swing shift 1 man car
robert-private security guards (only allowed to use TPD radio freq to call for help)
sam-patrol sergeants
tom- traffic + their sergeant & Leutenant
union-graveyard 2 man car
victor-vice
william-school patrol, port police, mall security
zebra-humane society

for example frank-21 would be a dayshift,district 2, first car, frank-22 would be dayshift,district 2 second car assignged to district 2 and so on. He said some districts can have 5 cars out ie. frank 21,22,23,24,25

also note the routinely hold cars over into the next shift on OT so you could hear a day car at 7pm for example
swings are 2-10, 3-11 and 4-12
They dumped the district car numbers years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.