Psychiatric Diversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Does anyone know what psychiatric diversion is? C-Med just announced that "Connecticut Children's Medical Center is on psychiatric diversion with St. Francis accepting form now onto 20:00hrs."; Does this mean the hospital is closed for some kind of reason?

Dave_E

It like means the psyhc unit is full of with patients and that they are not accepting any more, diverting to another hospital.

Sometimes you may also hear emergency departments diverting advanced life support (ALS) and/or basic life support (BLS).

Dave_E

It like means the psyhc unit is full of with patients and that they are not accepting any more, diverting to another hospital.

Sometimes you may also hear emergency departments diverting advanced life support (ALS) and/or basic life support (BLS).

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what psychiatric diversion is? C-Med just announced that "Connecticut Children's Medical Center is on psychiatric diversion with St. Francis accepting form now onto 20:00hrs."; Does this mean the hospital is closed for some kind of reason?

Basically, they cannot accept any patients coming in by ambulance because their unit is full and there are no available beds/rooms. To go on diversion, a hospital in CT has to have a willing receiving hospital and the diversion can only run fro a certain number of hours agreed to. When that time frame is up, the diverting hospital has to either see if the receiving hospital will continue the diversion, find another hospital who will accept their patients or go off diversion. This is coordinated through the local C-MED dispatch center (usually).

However patients coming in by private car not not be turned away, the diversion is for ambulance traffic only. If there is a major problem at the hospital where they cant accept any sort of patients, I that comes under a totally different set of rules.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Basically, they cannot accept any patients coming in by ambulance because their unit is full and there are no available beds/rooms. To go on diversion, a hospital in CT has to have a willing receiving hospital and the diversion can only run fro a certain number of hours agreed to. When that time frame is up, the diverting hospital has to either see if the receiving hospital will continue the diversion, find another hospital who will accept their patients or go off diversion. This is coordinated through the local C-MED dispatch center (usually).

However patients coming in by private car not not be turned away, the diversion is for ambulance traffic only. If there is a major problem at the hospital where they cant accept any sort of patients, I that comes under a totally different set of rules.

Interesting to know that.

scanningisfun

I heard them go on diversion on the fire intercity channels. Do they put the notification on both intercity and C-Med channels. I had C-Med channels turned off.

Jacob

scanner404

Feed Provider
I heard them go on diversion on the fire intercity channels. Do they put the notification on both intercity and C-Med channels. I had C-Med channels turned off.

Jacob

Ok, I figured that a hospital diversion was pretty much what it sounded like, just wanted to confirm with everyone on here. And yes Jacob, I do believe they put out the same notification on both channels in case dispatchers are not listening to C-Med at the time. They are kind of required to listen to intercity fire because they have to listen in for radio tests if their town is called on Intercity, which typically happens once a week on Wed or Thurs nights.

kmacinct

Diversion

Jacob

CMED North Central announces their hospital diversion across the Intercity Radio Network, the VHF MedNet, and the CMED Control Channels.

Diversions can be for anything from a CT Scanner down, to a specific ward (psych, maternity etc) unable to accept, to a full ER Diversion - (Beds, hazmat, something really weird).

But yes, there 'has' to be an accepting hospital - Usually not convenient location . . . .

scanningisfun

Ok, I figured that a hospital diversion was pretty much what it sounded like, just wanted to confirm with everyone on here. And yes Jacob, I do believe they put out the same notification on both channels in case dispatchers are not listening to C-Med at the time. They are kind of required to listen to intercity fire because they have to listen in for radio tests if their town is called on Intercity, which typically happens once a week on Wed or Thurs nights.

Oops...I skipped over that in your original post. doyyy. :(

Jacob

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
CMED North Central announces their hospital diversion across the Intercity Radio Network, the VHF MedNet, and the CMED Control Channels.

Diversions can be for anything from a CT Scanner down, to a specific ward (psych, maternity etc) unable to accept, to a full ER Diversion - (Beds, hazmat, something really weird).

But yes, there 'has' to be an accepting hospital - Usually not convenient location . . . .

I believe N-C is the only one to go it over thier Intercity. The others are on the C-MED dispatch channels or the ambulance / fire service frequencies they dispatch.

KMAC, your last sentence reminded me of my C-MED days when Mid-State wanted to divert........TO GRIFFIN! Ummmm, I don't think so!

Status
Not open for further replies.