PUC Motor Carrier Enforcement

Urfathersmsgr

I see in the db PUC has assigned talkgroups but another user stated that they are hardly used. Do their officers use local county dispatch or State Police for calling out Stops?

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I see in the db PUC has assigned talkgroups but another user stated that they are hardly used. Do their officers use local county dispatch or State Police for calling out Stops?

I’ve never heard them on any Local system in Berks or MontCo.
My guess is that they use some other LE to conduct the stop , than they swoop in for the inspection.

All the PUC vehicles I’ve seen were beat ass minivans. Regardless of the Blinky red lights and sirens they had , the second one would have attempted to pull me over, I wouldn’t have stopped. That’s how shady those vehicles looked.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
I’ve never heard them on any Local system in Berks or MontCo.
My guess is that they use some other LE to conduct the stop , than they swoop in for the inspection.

All the PUC vehicles I’ve seen were beat ass minivans. Regardless of the Blinky red lights and sirens they had , the second one would have attempted to pull me over, I wouldn’t have stopped. That’s how shady those vehicles looked.
Trust me as a former cab driver they hold the same authority as police when it comes to enforcement stops. I have known guys who caught misdemeanor charges for not stopping.

captaincab

They do most of their communications by phone they can access the state police via radio if needed. They used to do a lot more when they still had regulatory authority over taxicabs in Philadelphia. But that ended about 24 years ago.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Trust me as a former cab driver they hold the same authority as police when it comes to enforcement stops. I have known guys who caught misdemeanor charges for not stopping.
Not surviving authority, just stating that I wouldn’t pull over and allow a red lighted minivan to initiate a traffic stop on me without verification from a local or state LE. Primarily Red = fire and EMS. None of which can pull you ocer

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I don’t doubt their authority. But question the color scheme of their “emergency lighting” and EV tags. More than enough whackers impersonating on the streets and with the majority of red lighters being Fire and EMS, none of which have the legal means to conduct a vehicle stop is why I mention that.

captaincab

I don’t doubt their authority. But question the color scheme of their “emergency lighting” and EV tags. More than enough whackers impersonating on the streets and with the majority of red lighters being Fire and EMS, none of which have the legal means to conduct a vehicle stop is why I mention that.
Well actually Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission vehicles use official use tags not Ev tags. Taxi and Limo enforcement in Philadelphia which are regulated by the Parking Authority in Philadelphia use Ev tags that boogles my mind as well how they can use Ev tags but hey it’s the Ppa🤦🏼‍♂️

captaincab

Well actually Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission vehicles use official use tags not Ev tags. Taxi and Limo enforcement in Philadelphia which are regulated by the Parking Authority in Philadelphia use Ev tags that boogles my mind as well how they can use Ev tags but hey it’s the Ppa🤦🏼‍♂️
I agree I would definitely be very careful who I am pulling over for. Especially unmarked vehicles even with Emergency vehicle tags. It’s not hard for a volunteer to get Emergency vehicle tags which is a problem in itself. It’s a simple form signed and verified with penndot and here come the tags. The agency is supposed to keep a list they submit to the state police yearly same as blue lights but it’s almost never done.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
There was a guy I worked with when I was working EMS, who worked for the PUC as a motor carrier enforcement. His van had EV tags and red lights. He used to run that vehicle lights and sirens to local EMS calls when he would hear calls when he was off shift. He argued that regardless of his NON officer status, it was an emergency vehicle and he was able and legal to do so…..

captaincab

There was a guy I worked with when I was working EMS, who worked for the PUC as a motor carrier enforcement. His van had EV tags and red lights. He used to run that vehicle lights and sirens to local EMS calls when he would hear calls when he was off shift. He argued that regardless of his NON officer status, it was an emergency vehicle and he was able and legal to do so…..
They would have his a** if they knew lol.

avaloncourt

All the PUC vehicles I’ve seen were beat ass minivans.

That's interesting. In the northwest corner of the state I have seen a lot of they grey Ford Explorers set up the same as PSP but with MCE graphics. One sits occasionally beside the end of the driveway where I work.