puerto rico police not hearing much

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOMMYBOY289

does anyone know if puerto rico p.d. is encrypted ? according to radiorefference the p.d. im trying to listen to Luquillo ,p.r. is phase 2 . i have the bcd436 with the dmr upgreade and i cant hear any local p.d. Help please ..thanks a lot Tom (gringo in paradise)

hill

Premium Subscriber
No encryption shown on the database. It may be capable of Phase 2 l, but looking at the database is appears to operating in Phase 1.

Most likely some kind simulcast issue.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with this scanner. I really don't know if you need to designate Phase 1 or 2. In my scanners the talk group can switch to phase 1 or 2 on the fly.

u2brent

OAMPT
The system should be set up as a "P25 Trunk" period. That covers both P25 Ph1 & Ph2 systems. If you have it programed as anything else [ex. X2 TDMA], There's bound to be problems that are undesirable. And, If encryption is in use, the scanner will ignore those calls and continue scanning for a clear call. (Provided that is; You're actually within range of a sites' control channel.) DMR (Yeah or Nay) would have zero bearing on a P25 system, Also the squelch should be set at 2, no higher, for best results. (Sometimes a 0 or 1 Setting is required, but that can create some obvious issues if conventional items are being actively scanned with a CSQ/Search audio option)

I don't see a site listed specifically for the county you mentioned. What site(s) are you trying to scan? Do you see any indication on the screen "Data" that indicates a control channel being received. You need to be seeing that before any traffic would be picked up.
According to the DB page it's P25 PH1 and Encryption is not indicated (P25 PH1 De/DE P25 PH2 Te/TE) but that could be just a lack of info, encryption may be in use (law enforcement going 100% E is unfortunately the norm these days) and the DB page is based on user submissions, If there's been a change, it hasn't been submitted/updated.
You can view the locations of the known sites here:
Are you close to any? I'd try finding the closest site and Hold on that site, If you are scanning every possible site on the system this would delay/miss hearing any traffic on the site(s) in range.

These are the two sites I'd concentrate on trying to pick up, based on your location as listed.

I'd create an FL in Sentinel and avoid all the sites except those two for starters. Also the option ID: Search should be On so any unknown TGID's that are active would be received. Increasing the systems Hold Time can improve your chances, You can experiment going from 0 to 255 sec.

Hope at least some of that makes sense and provides a small bit of help. ;)

TOMMYBOY289

The system should be set up as a "P25 Trunk" period. That covers both P25 Ph1 & Ph2 systems. If you have it programed as anything else [ex. X2 TDMA], There's bound to be problems that are undesirable. And, If encryption is in use, the scanner will ignore those calls and continue scanning for a clear call. (Provided that is; You're actually within range of a sites' control channel.) DMR (Yeah or Nay) would have zero bearing on a P25 system, Also the squelch should be set at 2, no higher, for best results. (Sometimes a 0 or 1 Setting is required, but that can create some obvious issues if conventional items are being actively scanned with a CSQ/Search audio option)

I don't see a site listed specifically for the county you mentioned. What site(s) are you trying to scan? Do you see any indication on the screen "Data" that indicates a control channel being received. You need to be seeing that before any traffic would be picked up.
According to the DB page it's P25 PH1 and Encryption is not indicated (P25 PH1 De/DE P25 PH2 Te/TE) but that could be just a lack of info, encryption may be in use (law enforcement going 100% E is unfortunately the norm these days) and the DB page is based on user submissions, If there's been a change, it hasn't been submitted/updated.
You can view the locations of the known sites here:
Are you close to any? I'd try finding the closest site and Hold on that site, If you are scanning every possible site on the system this would delay/miss hearing any traffic on the site(s) in range.

These are the two sites I'd concentrate on trying to pick up, based on your location as listed.

I'd create an FL in Sentinel and avoid all the sites except those two for starters. Also the option ID: Search should be On so any unknown TGID's that are active would be received. Increasing the systems Hold Time can improve your chances, You can experiment going from 0 to 255 sec.

Hope at least some of that makes sense and provides a small bit of help. ;)
thanks so much im really new to the sentinnel and the bcd436 but not new to scanning im trying everything i reall appreciate your help

u2brent

OAMPT
I created an FL of the system and customized it a bit, as if it were for me, except it's for you ;)
I avoided all the sites except the 2 providing coverage closest to your location.
If you travel beyond your area you'll need to enable the sites you'll be in range of.
Just download the attached file and unzip/extract it to your PC.
Then open Sentinel and select File and Import from hpe file (Favorites List) from the drop-down list.
Follow the steps to add it to your FL(s), [I would create a new one with just this system] make any changes you may need, and then upload it to your scanner and give it a whirl.. :)

Attachments

• Polica de Puerto Rico.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 23

TOMMYBOY289

I created an FL of the system and customized it a bit, as if it were for me, except it's for you ;)
I avoided all the sites except the 2 providing coverage closest to your location.
If you travel beyond your area you'll need to enable the sites you'll be in range of.
Then open Sentinel and select File and Import from hpe file (Favorites List) from the drop-down list.
Follow the steps to add it to your FL(s), [I would create a new one with just this system] make any changes you may need, and then upload it to your scanner and give it a whirl.. :)
thanks so much ill try it
any idea why my scanner is showing old vhf frequencies? the system here is 800 trunked this is so frustrating

u2brent

OAMPT
Can't explain it, there were none in the file I sent, you must disable full DB scanning and just scan the the new FL just created. There were 2 sites enabled and they had 800 MHz frequencies. Disable any other FL's and turn off full DB scanning and any priority or wx should be off as well.

u2brent

OAMPT
Sorry, not surprised. If you can identify specific TGID' s that are encrypted please submit that info. Save the next PR scanner user the aggravation. 😎

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately the system uses encryption. I am not sure if it is 100% encrypted, but that was the plan when they first rolled it out. I was in San Juan earlier this year and everything on that site was encrypted.

TOMMYBOY289

yeah im hearing some things but i believe the san juan area is mostly encrypted...thanks i mainly will use the scanner when i travel to NY,, still able to listen to some things

Status
Not open for further replies.