Puerto Rico w/ a Uniden BCD536HP

OnTheSpectrum

4/16/24
Hola!
I recently relocated to Puerto Rico and haven't had much luck hearing anything on my Uniden BCD536HP.

I have used Sentinel software and cable to do the updates recently.
When entering any of the local zip codes (including 00901 San Juan), the scanner simply says "Nothing to scan", even with range set to 50 miles.
Coming from middle-America where this thing just worked, I have to admit that I'm not the swiftest at doing anything more than turning it on.
Prior forum information regarding Puerto Rico is sparse, and what's there seems to be outdated, complex, and unresolved.

Mostly would like to follow police, fire, etc, for general interest and especially during times of emergency... maybe a little ham.
Any updates from you experienced guys on making the most of a BCD536HP on the Enchanted Island?

Thank you.
Kevin

OnTheSpectrum

I'm currently near Caguas, just south of San Juan. The RadioRef database in Sentinel show LOTS of frequencies. I did finally get past the "nothing to scan" message (can't remember how), so the display is scrolling now, but nothing comes on to listen to. It is quite crowded in this area so I'm sure there are lots of police, medical, plus misc. services all around me.

Have to admit, I'm looking for the EASY button and was hoping I just had a setting wrong.
Too busy with work project at moment to spend the time figuring the area out, but later this year should be able to do that and post back here if nothing new has come in.

Salud!
KevinCapture.PNG

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
@OnTheSpectrum
Probably the the scan selection is not set to full database
Go to the scanner menu Set Scan Selection -> Select Lists to Monitor
Full Database needs to be on like in this image
Untitled.png

pabloc

Premium Subscriber
Hola, te puedo contestar en español si asi lo deseas.

The “zip code” feature does not work for Puerto Rico. They, UNIDEN/RADIOREFERENCE, simply don't care about making it work. That is one of the consequences of living in a colony of any empire. If you use a “zip code” from any of the 50 states, the feature will work without any problem, but Puerto Rico is not a state, it is a colony and the colonies always in history serve the Empire and not the Empire serves the colony.

The link that “phask” posted above there are a few frequencies, apparently supplied by some Puerto Rican radio amateurs (take a look at the forum), but many of them are not updated or simply do not work.

Even the alternative that you posted above, there are many frequencies that are not updated and I know this from my own personal knowledge. That explains why you said "but nothing comes on to listen to."

The only option left is to go to the FCC database, either directly with them or through Radioreference, search for the frequencies you are interested in and enter them manually. Needless to say, it is a tedious work.

KC3ECJ

It seems that you may just have to make a custom scan list that doesn't have location control enabled.

OnTheSpectrum

Thanks for all the comments. I'll be a few months finishing a big project, then dive back into this. I agree we'll probably need to build up scan lists manually, although I've not done this before, particularly for trunked systems. I've also seen reference that most of these systems are encrypted so this may be largely a waste of time. I'll be living in the Naguabo area by then so will start with everything over there. Others on the island... please chime in!