Pulaski Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneumann55

WA2FSO
Premium Subscriber
ok, can i get some guidence on how to program this in, Plus they just completely switched over today officially?

sneumann55

WA2FSO
Premium Subscriber
ok, thanks got dmr working on the ws-1095, i see i need a dmr update on the BCD 996p2, quick question KSP NFM or FM?

VASCAR2

I programmed my Uniden BCD325P2 manually using the keypad which is basically a newer version of your 396T. KSP needs to be programmed as a conventional frequency and in the audio settings set to digital. You can also enter the NAC number or set the CTCSS/DPL/NAC to search. I programmed all the towers for the whole District since you might be in a different location and hear different towers. I only program the Base repeater frequencies for the Channels A and B plus any car to car or tactical channels. I also program the frequencies for the Troopers vehicular repeaters. I’m closest to Henderson post so I copied the data base info. Notice there are several towers in different locations around the district. I also manually enter the name for the corresponding frequency and tower. As an example. KSP D-16 B Hndrsn

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
460.18750KDX279RM191 NACKSP16BHndrsn16B Henderson- Henderson CountyP25Law Dispatch
460.25000KDX279RM191 NACKSP16BReed16B Reed Henderson CountyP25Law Dispatch
460.32500KDX279RM191 NACKSP16BMrgnfd16B Morganfield - Union CountyP25Law Dispatch
460.31250KDX279RM191 NACKSP16BWhtvl16B Whitesville - Ohio CountyP25Law Dispatch
460.28750KDX279RM191 NACKSP16BHrtfrd16B Hartford - Ohio CountyP25Law Dispatch
460.43750WPTD259RM191 NACKSP16BClvprt16B Cloverport - Breckinridge CountyP25Law Dispatch
460.21250WPTC982RM191 NACKSP16BSacmnt16B Sacramento - Mc Lean CountyP25Law Dispatch
460.20000KDX279RM190 NACKSP16AHndrsn16A Henderson - Henderson CountyP25Law Talk
460.10000KDX279RM190 NACKSP16AHndrsn16A Reed - Henderson CountyP25Law Talk
453.60000KDX279RM190 NACKSP16AMrgnfd16A Morganfield - Union CountyP25Law Talk
460.22500KDX279RM190 NACKSP16AWhtvl16A Whitesville - Ohio CountyP25Law Talk
453.50000KDX279RM190 NACKSP16AHrtfrd16A Hartford - Ohio CountyP25Law Talk
453.60000WPTD259RM190 NACKSP16AClvprt16A Cloverport - Breckinridge CountyP25Law Talk
460.36250WPTC982RM190 NACKSP16AScmnt16A Sacramento - McLean CountyP25Law Talk

Last edited:

VASCAR2

Kentucky State Police have a pool of frequencies to cover the whole state. They have to reuse the frequencies and try to put enough distance between the locations so there is no interference. The NAC controls the radios receiver and only opens for radio transmissions with the correct NAC, basically the same function as the DPL or tone coded squelch.

The KSP use A and B frequencies alternating towers across the state. If the Trooper is closest to Henderson he would select the 16 B channel. If the Trooper was near Morganfield he’d select 16 A channel. After you work an area for a while you learn which channel you need to select for your current location. Usually if you have difficulty receiving the tower/site you know you need to switch to the other frequency.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Kentucky State Police have a pool of frequencies to cover the whole state. They have to reuse the frequencies and try to put enough distance between the locations so there is no interference. The NAC controls the radios receiver and only opens for radio transmissions with the correct NAC, basically the same function as the DPL or tone coded squelch.

The KSP use A and B frequencies alternating towers across the state. If the Trooper is closest to Henderson he would select the 16 B channel. If the Trooper was near Morganfield he’d select 16 A channel. After you work an area for a while you learn which channel you need to select for your current location. Usually if you have difficulty receiving the tower/site you know you need to switch to the other frequency.

I was under the impression that the "B" channel is the primary channel for each post. The "A" channel is an alternate channel to be used if there is a significant incident in progress on the "B" channel. Typically what I'll hear for Posts 4, 5 and 12 is something like "All units 10-3 is in effect on 4B, units not involved in the ____ switch to 4A".

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
That’s how I have noticed it on post 7 in Richmond with B channel being primary and A channel being an alternate or even a TAC channel in some cases

VASCAR2

Honestly it has been a while since I listened to KSP enough to fully know which is the primary and secondary channels. I can not receive KSP from my residence and only listen to them when I travel that direction. It was my understanding years ago the Trooper was required to change channels on his radio depending on his location. The system could’ve been updated to where voted receivers determine which Repeaters are activated. If the system had that configuration the radio would hear the traffic without having to change channels on his radio and the other channel could be an alternate.

Regardless how the system is configured I would still program all the towers on both A and B channels.

I could have memory lapses in my advanced age, lol. When I worked for a LE Agency we has a 800 repeater system along a toll road. There were numerous towers near the tollway and depending on your location you had to either select channel 1 or channel 2. Each Tower had short range and every other tower had different frequencies (Either Channel 1 or Channel 2). This was in the 80’s prior to the implementation of trunked radio systems.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with programming all the channels if you will be moving around. If you are stationary, then perhaps those in your home county and one additional. The additional is just in case of a failure.

As I understand it, the radios in the trooper cars will determine which site is providing the best signal for the selected channel, then lock in on that. So its almost like each radio is acting as its own voting receiver.

Ever since they migrated to UHF, KSP has had "different" radios from the typical. I remember Motorola used to call them SP radios for special product, though most of the radios were GE. When it was analog UHF, radios would have three modes "State", "Mobile" and "Post". State was a statewide channel, Mobile was the simplex version of that for car to car traffic. Then in Post, the user would have to select 1-16.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
OK here is how the KSP SYTEM WORKS it is Really Simple There are 2 parts to it. All the repeaters In a post area have the same input Frequency and Nac so when a unit keys up his radio the system votes on what site it here the signal on the best. Then part 2 the radio ksp mobile radios are astro spectras , xtl 5000, apx 7500 or 8500 the radio also dose voting it is called vote scanning the radio scan the different transmit frequencies of the repeaters and stops on the one it hears the best. oh and I guess i should mention in a post area there are 2 rings of repeaters an a and a b ch
B is main talk / dispatch. A is like a spare over flow ch if something is happening on b the will lock it down and all other traffic will move to A .

Oh and The troopers carry a vhf xts 5000 and they have an in car vrs that lets them use there vhf ht to talk on the uhf system.

trashman43

Kentucky DB Admin...
Database Admin
Solid info. I think there are still some vhf Xts3000's in use and Post 15 is opposite. A is dispatch and B is secondary

OK here is how the KSP SYTEM WORKS it is Really Simple There are 2 parts to it. All the repeaters In a post area have the same input Frequency and Nac so when a unit keys up his radio the system votes on what site it here the signal on the best. Then part 2 the radio ksp mobile radios are astro spectras , xtl 5000, apx 7500 or 8500 the radio also dose voting it is called vote scanning the radio scan the different transmit frequencies of the repeaters and stops on the one it hears the best. oh and I guess i should mention in a post area there are 2 rings of repeaters an a and a b ch
B is main talk / dispatch. A is like a spare over flow ch if something is happening on b the will lock it down and all other traffic will move to A .

Oh and The troopers carry a vhf xts 5000 and they have an in car vrs that lets them use there vhf ht to talk on the uhf system.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
Solid info. I think there are still some vhf Xts3000's in use and Post 15 is opposite. A is dispatch and B is secondary
True I forgot about Xts 3000 and The Reason post 15 is Currently opposite is because of interference Barron County has one of the same the same FRQS as post 15 B Ch repeater and it was causing issues so until Barron county switches frequencies (i heard later this summer) then they will remain on a for main dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.