Pulaski Skyway construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff75

For the next two years the Pulaski Skyway will be rebuilt. During the first year, which starts tonight at midnight, the north bound lanes will be shut down. While this is happening Jersey City, Kearny and Newark are setup to respond together if anything happens on the skyway. They will respond to staging areas in their respected cities till PD or a chief arrive on scene and confirm if and what is needed to respond. Also at any report of an incident on the skyway the bridge will be shutdown to allow resources to respond. The 3 cities will be dispatched on their own radios but will switch over to UTAC5 to talk to eachother during the incident. This will go.on for 2 years. When they are done with the northbound lanes they will shut down the southbound lanes and southbound traffic will use the northbound lanes

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Only roadway in the state that I know of that has nets under the roadway to catch falling concrete. Glad I don't have to drive up there any more. :)

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Dup

Last edited:

mrkelso

The state uses a lot of salt and calcium chloride to keep the bridge from freezing, thats why chunks of concrete are falling.
Traffic on the tunnely circle is going to be a nightmare for the next 2 years.

ff75

The roadway is so bad that the contractor is worried that a large portion of the bridge might come down during demo because of how eroded some of the beams are

mrkelso

The roadway is so bad that the contractor is worried that a large portion of the bridge might come down during demo because of how eroded some of the beams are

That would not be a good thing

AC2OY

Only roadway in the state that I know of that has nets under the roadway to catch falling concrete. Glad I don't have to drive up there any more. :)

Roger that Tom!! As I drive under it everyday coming home from work, I tend to look up in disbelief. This project is long overdue.

w2xq

Mentor

Mrkelso, that road was a mess in the late 1950s when I got my drivers license. And Fuzy, my condolences. :D

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
The bottom line is the thing is 75 years old, and has never had a major overhaul or structural upgrade. It's gotta happen. What's gonna be interesting is the responses for accidents or major emergencies on the Southbound side as a result of the Northbound being closed. Newark, Kearny, and Jersey City have thankfully been doing joint planning and training for this.

K9one

Just heard on NJUTAC 5, at 19:00 hrs on Sunday April 13, 2014, what I believe was the state DOT doing a radio check with Newark PD, FD and EMS, Kearny PD, FD and EMS, Jersey City and Port Authority.
It sounded like it may be patched into one of the state trunk systems statecom talkgroups. I did not have the trunk radio with me to check.
This may be the channel for the Pulaski Skyway closure.

AC2OY

Just heard on NJUTAC 5, at 19:00 hrs on Sunday April 13, 2014, what I believe was the state DOT doing a radio check with Newark PD, FD and EMS, Kearny PD, FD and EMS, Jersey City and Port Authority.
It sounded like it may be patched into one of the state trunk systems statecom talkgroups. I did not have the trunk radio with me to check.
This may be the channel for the Pulaski Skyway closure.

I keep hearing transmissions that sounded like they are doing traffic and some sort of operation but wasn't sure if it was that project. If I hear any hits pertaining to this topic I'll try and write down the talk groups and UID's.

K9one

Jersey City Police Department operations for the Skyway closure is being conducted on talkgroup 999 aka JC Citywide on the Jersey City P25 Trunk system.
Traffic posts and motorcycle squad handling traffic on various streets.
OEM command center is up and operational.
Governor and Mayor just took a helicopter flight around area to check conditions.

It's about time they fixed it. It looked like it was rusted through back in the 80s.

I used to have to drive it from Jersey City to Newark Airport a few times a week when I still lived in NJ. It was always one of those "have to" trips, otherwise I would have gone out of my way and taken the Exit 14 extension around Bayonne. I guess 440/Lincoln Hwy and Newark Ave. are going to be busy. The depressed highway (139) leading into the Skyway was always a mess. It's about time they fixed it.

AC2OY

It's about time they fixed it. It looked like it was rusted through back in the 80s.

I used to have to drive it from Jersey City to Newark Airport a few times a week when I still lived in NJ. It was always one of those "have to" trips, otherwise I would have gone out of my way and taken the Exit 14 extension around Bayonne. I guess 440/Lincoln Hwy and Newark Ave. are going to be busy. The depressed highway (139) leading into the Skyway was always a mess. It's about time they fixed it.

Yes sir!! My wife told me earlier that Route 7 today was backed up for miles! There is going to be a lot of angry people commuting these days. But as most stated it needs to be done. As I drove home today getting off Route 1 & 9 North onto the New Jersey Turnpike I noticed they have braces under the Skyway to support it while they work on it. I moved all the way over to the right and said a brief prayer...LOL If I stop dead in traffic I'll snap a quick pic and post them if this thread stays alive.

Yes sir!! My wife told me earlier that Route 7 today was backed up for miles! There is going to be a lot of angry people commuting these days. But as most stated it needs to be done. As I drove home today getting off Route 1 & 9 North onto the New Jersey Turnpike I noticed they have braces under the Skyway to support it while they work on it. I moved all the way over to the right and said a brief prayer...LOL If I stop dead in traffic I'll snap a quick pic and post them if this thread stays alive.
Or, I guess you can take the Park Avenue bridge through Lyndhurst, or get on Rt. 3. Not sure where you're coming from, but it almost sounds like Jersey City. Maybe the PATH or NJT?

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Both NJ U & I Tac frequencies being used

What I have been monitoring agencies are using both NJ U Tac 5 and I Tac 4 for Public Safety coordination and inter-ops with cities, towns and agencies (Jersey City, Kearney, Newark, NJ STPD and NJ DOT)involved with this long term construction project.
NJ U-TAC 5 470.8075 PL 173.8
NJ I-TAC 6 859.7875 PL 156.7

Also note: at times depending on the situation U-TAC 400Mhz frequencies will be cross patched with 800 MHz I-Tac frequencies.

Max:cool:

AC2OY

Or, I guess you can take the Park Avenue bridge through Lyndhurst, or get on Rt. 3. Not sure where you're coming from, but it almost sounds like Jersey City. Maybe the PATH or NJT?

Coming from my job down in the Ironbound section of Newark. I go up Wilson Ave. and jump on Route 1 & 9 North to the turnpike north. So excluding this debacle it was the fastest way to come home...LOL

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
What I have been monitoring agencies are using both NJ U Tac 5 and I Tac 4 for Public Safety coordination and inter-ops with cities, towns and agencies (Jersey City, Kearney, Newark, NJ STPD and NJ DOT)involved with this long term construction project.
NJ U-TAC 5 470.8075 PL 173.8
NJ I-TAC 6 859.7875 PL 156.7

Also note: at times depending on the situation U-TAC 400Mhz frequencies will be cross patched with 800 MHz I-Tac frequencies.

Max:cool:

UTAC-5 PL173.8 is primary unified ops. And there is a patch ready into StateCom 5 and TF1 in case something really hits the fan (ie: Collapse, Construction Worker/Equipment overboard, technical/high angle rescue, etc). Radio checks at 10am and 7pm daily for the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.