Pulled the trigger on a 651, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well, if history repeats, the Radio Shack versions did not include the USB to serial adapter cable, it was an available accessory The GRE versions did however, but I'll let someone with knowledge of the Whistler version confirm or deny if the cable is indeed included.

It appears that it's the same situation with the Whistler/RS versions.

According to the Whistler website specs and features, the WS1040 comes with the AC power supply, and the programming cable.

The Radio Shack "in the box" listing for the PRO-651 does not list those 2 items as being included.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
On the box it's says PC interface. I'm assuming that's the usb cable? And if that's the case does it come with software?

That may just mean that it has the "ability" to be connected to a PC, not necessarily including the cable.

Mike_G_D

I was looking at that, too. But, it seems that most of the differences are for slight component changes, not real design changes (likely some components from the original design are no longer available, so substitution parts had to be incorporated, resulting in layout changes on the MLB).

Interesting that there is an entire IC missing in the lower left corner of the MLB. Wonder what it was for?

RF board does look identical (allowing for color and some different parts sources).

Agreed, on all points; I wonder if the "missing component" might be something that had functionality that is now available on one part with the same footprint instead of two so they simply no longer need the extra part but it wasn't worth changing the layout that much (they left the pads and pcb printing in place, and, maybe the traces - it's hard to tell from the photo). IF that "theory" is correct then maybe leaving the space in place also allows them to use the older parts (two needed) as well as the newer parts (one needed) which gives them manufacturing flexibility.

At least with my screen and eyes I cannot resolve the affected part numbers enough to discern what they are.

As UPMan said, the apparent changes mostly seem to be on the "digital" board while the "RF" board seems essentially identical.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.