Pulled the trigger on a 651, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

...except for the "hip" lowercase RS lettering and the Filipino manufacture, it seems 100% identical to the 106! I thought there would at least be something different. Side-by-side comparison with stock antennas on NOAA VHF show performance that (to my ears) is identical.

Guess I was looking for a thrill, and only got myself a newer 106.

DeadMike

Nothing wrong with that! What'd she cost ya...?

...except for the "hip" lowercase RS lettering and the Filipino manufacture, it seems 100% identical to the 106! I thought there would at least be something different. Side-by-side comparison with stock antennas on NOAA VHF show performance that (to my ears) is identical.

[pic]

[pic]

[pic]

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Why would you expect anything different, it was already known they were the same radio before they were released.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good

OK, I'll bite...

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Exactly WHY did you think it would be any different?

Seriously, I'm holding my tongue here. Do people NOT read manufacturer's specifications anymore?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Can you take a picture of the startup firmware screen? I'd like to see the firmware information displayed.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Guess I was looking for a thrill, and only got

Can you take a picture of the startup firmware screen? I'd like to see the firmware information displayed.

Bump...:D

methusaleh

Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid on a new product.

In my 35 or so years of the monitoring/SWL/amateur radio hobby, I have never heard of a manufacturer doing this kind of re-introduction of an old product before, so I admit I thought that I would find some kind of innovation or improvement. Even if it was just in my imagination.

Audio is as wonderful as the 106.

DSP Boot F1.1

Here is the firmware screen:

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
In my 35 or so years of the monitoring/SWL/amateur radio hobby, I have never heard of a manufacturer doing this kind of re-introduction of an old product before, so I admit I thought that I would find some kind of innovation or improvement. Even if it was just in my imagination.

I understand that RadioShack Pro-106 was originally manufactured by GRE, but it's pretty interesting as to why change it and release it as the Pro-651 when Whistler came into the picture as it is clearly the same product. I have a bad feeling that it's going to be related to my next point below.

1405843988_zps3159ae8c.jpg

I guess this is where we begin to speculate on what kind of new feature or fixes that was made in the great jump from CPU 2.1 to 2.6. This can then be followed by speculation of whether or not Whistler will be kind-hearted enough to support the former GRE manufactured scanners.

Tying back into the model differences, I have a feeling that the reason RadioShack (or Whistler?) re-released the Pro-106 under a new model number is so RadioShack (and Whistler) can claim that the Pro-106 and Pro-651 are completely different products and can therefore state that they do not share the same firmware for current/future updates. I'm intrigued to whether or not this is related to their push for Whistler's trade in program mentioned multiple times by their support staff (as seen below).

Thank you for your inquiry! Whistler's line of scanners are expected to be
released at the end of the first quarter this year. At that time we will
provide information on them via our website, facebook page and by
answering inquiries like yours.

We plan to have a trade in program for customers who have GRE or other
brand scanners and would like to purchase a Whistler. The trade in program
will give a discount off the price of a new Whistler scanner when you
trade in your old unit.

If you can wait to purchase a new unit, I encourage you to do so! Check
back with us toward the end of March and keep an eye on our website at
facebook page for updates.

methusaleh

Tying back into the model differences, I have a feeling that the reason RadioShack (or Whistler?) re-released the Pro-106 under a new model number is so RadioShack (and Whistler) can claim that the Pro-106 and Pro-651 are completely different products and can therefore state that they do not share the same firmware for current/future updates. I'm intrigued to whether or not this is related to their push for Whistler's trade in program mentioned multiple times by their support staff (as seen below).

That is what I suspect as well. Thus far I can not identify and differences.

For the record, as someone was kind enough to explain to me here on another thread, it did clone from the 106 perfectly.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Tying back into the model differences, I have a feeling that the reason RadioShack (or Whistler?) re-released the Pro-106 under a new model number is so RadioShack (and Whistler) can claim that the Pro-106 and Pro-651 are completely different products

Since we are speculating, one could also say that it was done to eliminate any possible confusion between the old GRE models and the new Whistler models.

Just look what happened to GM when they changed the design of their recalled ignition switch and didn't change the part number.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Or it could just be the difference in hardware from the GRE version to the newly manufactured Radio Shack/Whistler version. No real firmware update other than where it is affected by a memory component or CPU, and changes to the physical LCD display part. Even the text changed on the upstart could have been the reason for a firmware update. It could also be a subtle method to differentiate between models.

Obviously, there hasn't been any new features added or it would say so in the manual and specifications. No change in the DSP where it counts. No conspiracy here. :D

btshahan

On the box it's says PC interface. I'm assuming that's the usb cable? And if that's the case does it come with software?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Well, if history repeats, the Radio Shack versions did not include the USB to serial adapter cable, it was an available accessory The GRE versions did however, but I'll let someone with knowledge of the Whistler version confirm or deny if the cable is indeed included.

methusaleh

I didn't see the cable or software in the package, but I only pulled out the scanner and did some preliminary playing around. I will go back in the packaging and look again tomorrow. I don't think I could have missed either if they were in their, however.

petrol88

Really nothing different:

Attachments

• GRE-WHI_1.jpg
    GRE-WHI_1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 774
  • GRE_WHI_2.jpg
    GRE_WHI_2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 672

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I lost count of how many differences I found between those two boards!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I was looking at that, too. But, it seems that most of the differences are for slight component changes, not real design changes (likely some components from the original design are no longer available, so substitution parts had to be incorporated, resulting in layout changes on the MLB).

Interesting that there is an entire IC missing in the lower left corner of the MLB. Wonder what it was for?

RF board does look identical (allowing for color and some different parts sources).

Status
Not open for further replies.